work visa

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
There is a possibility that I may have a job opportunity to teach in Santo Domingo, beginning at the end of January. In the case that I accept the position, will I need to already have a work visa? Or is it something that I can apply for once I arrive in SD? If I have the option of applying either in the US or in the DR, which is my best bet in terms of cost and time?

Thanks!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, this is not necessary. Come in on a tourist visa and if you decide to stay long term you can start the residency process. Some employers will put this into motion for you.

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
time?

will I have enough time between now and the end of January to obtain a tourist visa? How long does this process typically take?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Where are you from? Most nationalities only have to fill in a tourist card on arrival in the DR, cost US$10.

See also recent threads for the list of overstay penalties: if you are only going to be here several months it still works out cheaper than applying for residency.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You may want to check how the new Bio-Cedula change things. I've been told there will be new rules for work visa's. Your new employer may know more about that.

Celery013

Sep 21, 2006
I've been to SD several times over the last few years, and I always buy a tourist card. But this time I only wanted to buy a one-way plane ticket, and I can only do that if I have a visa.

I'm from NJ

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Usually buying a round trip ticket and not using the return portion is cheaper. Plus you will also receive your tourist card for the 10.00 with that. I would take as look into that.

Cheers
Erin