Translated documents, what's next for immigration Canada?

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
I have found a lawyer who will translate the documents, after they are translated to English, do they need to be certified in Canadian embassy here or Dominican embassy in Canada, or in court, or are the translated documents acceptable without any certification if accompanied by originals in Spanish? The documents in question are Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate and Police Clearance. Thanks.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Translations

You should send your originals to Dominican Republic Serices in Toronto. They will do the translations and then send them to the Dominican Consulate to be certified. They do everything for you. Check out their website and contact them. I know a lot of people who have used their services and beenn very glad they did so.

Marriage Certificate

Taken from their website:
Translation and Legalization of your Marriage Certificate

If you want your Dominican Marriage Certificate to be translated into English and legalized by the Dominican Republic Consulate in Canada as required by some Canadian institutions or in order for you to change your maiden name to married name, you have to send to us the following documents:

Your original marriage certificate plus two photocopies with a note if corrections are required.

Your mailing address and daytime phone number .

If possible, your wedding picture and a testimony for our website and/or wedding album.

A pre-paid and self-addressed courier envelope for us to return your documents back to you.

Please include two money orders as follows:

Legalization fees payable to Dominican Republic Consulate

Translation fees payable to Dominican Republic Services

Please send all of the above to us by courier or by Xpresspost to the following address:

DRSI Inc.
2727 Steeles Ave West, Suite 301
Toronto, On
M3J 3G9
Important: Please read carefully your marriage certificate to detect if there are any mistakes or misspellings in names, passport numbers, birthplaces or dates. If you find any, please write to us a note so we can correct them during translation.

Contact us: info@dominicanrepublicservices.com

2727 Steeles Ave. West, Suite 301, Toronto, ON, M3J 3G9 Canada

Phone: (416) 739 1237 Toll Free: 1-866- 535- 7776 Fax: (416) 6631973

Copyright ? 2005 Dominican Republic Services & Investments Inc.

Reactions: AnnaC

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Liam - You should go back and read a lot of our posts to give you more information BEFORE you send in your package! Make sure you have everything 100% correct. Taking a few extra days at the beginning may save you months at the end!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
forget the lawyer

Liam if you haven't had the translation done yet, I would suggest forgetting about having the lawyer do them...it is just a waste of money to pay the legal fees.

Dominican Republic Services is good as Lexi mentioned but also quite expensive.

I had all of my documents translated at the multicultural center in our city. You could also call the local settlement organization near you as well. They probably do the same thing or can direct to the right people.

These are offices that help newcomers to canada to settle.

They offer translation services at a good price and are very familiar with the immigration process. They usally have copies of the immigration applications for in & out of country and can help with any questions or review your application for accuracy.

I had my marriage cert, police, some personal docs etc translated at approx. $25.00 per document & $5.00 to have the certification stamp applied & signed.

For the purpose of this application, you do not have to have the docs notarized. They just have to be translated & certified by an official spanish to english translator.

When I received the documents back, there is a cover page that basically says the translators info, that they are certified to translate this document etc. The 2nd page is the translation & the 3rd page a copy of the original document. All 3 pages are stamped & signed & are accepted by immigration.

There are a number of ways you can go about doing this....this is just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck with everything,
Sangria

Reactions: AnnaC

laurar

Jun 19, 2008
Definately forgot about getting a lawyer! It is a total waste of money, I could have had another vacation with my husband for what I paid the lawyer!

Johana

May 24, 2006
Liam1,

check the sticky thread on translators. You will find it's cheaper to have it done in the DR. Depending on where your wife lives it might be cheaper for her to have the translations done there.

Good luck!

bjnissa

Sep 15, 2008
Definately forgot about getting a lawyer! It is a total waste of money, I could have had another vacation with my husband for what I paid the lawyer!

I'll definitely have to disagree with that.... For us, it's been worth every penny. Some parts of the application that were filled out under their advise, saved us 2-3 months easily on the process.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I'll definitely have to disagree with that.... For us, it's been worth every penny. Some parts of the application that were filled out under their advise, saved us 2-3 months easily on the process.

how do you know that they saved you 2-3 months?

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
bjnissa - what is your timeline?

It would be interesting to see how timelines differ from people who use lawyers to others who do it themselves.

bjnissa

Sep 15, 2008
bjnissa - what is your timeline?

It would be interesting to see how timelines differ from people who use lawyers to others who do it themselves.

Well, I know that if we would have filled out the application solely we were sure to make a few mistakes here and there. Thus causing delays once they started processing.

Point one:

On the application and section where we're supposed to provide photos. I gave our lawyer 200+ photos. He went through them and used about half. Apparently I don't smile lots in my photos.... Our lawyer said he has seen in other cases where the immigration officer has seen this, they took it as a sign the couple was not happy and made it more difficult for the applicants.

Point two:

In the section of the application where they ask during a ten year period what has the sponsored person been doing. You have a few options of periods here, and the lawyer said that this is one of the most crucial parts of the application. We chose to put a period of her life which did not involved very much travel ( she has traveled lots throughout her life ).

I know for a fact people on here didn't think this part was important, and put periods where they attended schools that are no longer existent ( where as they cannot provide records if requested by the CIC ), travel to places where if additional records of travel were requested, would have to go back to that country to obtain. Causing more delays in the process.

There were a number of reasons why we chose to hire legal representation beyond a few points I just mentioned.

I know that having counsel will not out us ahead of anyone else regarding timelines, but for us certainly could not hurt matters. That and I felt comfortable in the fact that our lawyer and his assistant are both landed immigrants themselves and have been through the process personally.

In what I have read on this website and others postings, everyone is against having a lawyer. Waste of money you say right ??? Well not to us, and anyone reading the boards here should also consider that if the means are there to do so, why the hell not ??? Can't hurt matters, can it ?

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Thanks bjnissa!

You make some good points.

Some families have complicated life details that don't fit the basic application questions and for that additional legal advice can be very helpful.

I know 1 person on this board that used an immigration lawyer that caused more problems and all the money spent was wasted $$ & wasted time.

This board provides more accurate information to them then the lawyer did and there was no refund in the end. Thank goodness for previous posters personal experiences! Without that we would all be waiting even longer I think!

Your wife is so lucky to have been able to travel so much. (she is very sweet!)

Hopefully she gets a call soon and then after she arrives in Canada, we can debate the effectiveness of a lawyer ;)

Until then, I am keeping my fingers crossed for everyone!
Sangria

Johana

May 24, 2006
Regarding point two - on the form it asks for details during the past 10 years or since you were 18 whichever period is longer, starting with the most recent information. And do not leave gaps.

When you selected the information to put on the form- did you put the dates they actually happened? Or did you make it seem like that was the most recent information? I'm curious how that would work.

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
Using a lawyer depends upon your individual situation. If you are capable of reading the documentation and preparing the package and have all of the information that is required, you should not have any problems. I did not use a lawyer or anyone else for that matter. Translating from Spanish into English is not always necessary. You should contact Haiti directly regardng this as I was advised from them that they have Spanish speaking staff and therefore I did not have all of our documents translated. I started the process in February and my wife was in Canada by the end of July.

Also, do not try to contact them once you send the package to ask the progress, this will only slow it down as they look for your file and pull it OUT of the process procedure.

If your marriage is legitimate and for the right reasons, you will not have any problems.

Cheers and best of luck.

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Hey Mr. Nice Guy!

Thanks a lot for your words!
I'm sure they will comfort many of us.

bjnissa

Sep 15, 2008
Translating from Spanish into English is not always necessary. You should contact Haiti directly regardng this as I was advised from them that they have Spanish speaking staff and therefore I did not have all of our documents translated.
QUOTE]

Translations are not necessary ??? I'm sorry, but that's just false information. It specifically says in the application, all documents must be translated to french or english but also by a certified translator.

Also how magically did you manage to call the Haiti office and speak to someone, when even a member of parliament has difficulties getting a replied email ?