American woman job question

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
I am from the US and my family is considering moving to the DR. We are in the very beginning stages, so we are trying to feel everything out before any decisions are made. If we do move, we will buy a home, and have money in savings to live off of. I will be bored, and am a very hard worker, so I would like to have a job outside of the home. In the US I am a Regional Manager for a chain of beauty salons, as well as a licensed cosmetologist. Are there any jobs for Americans in the DR? We would plan on living close to POP, as we have 3 children in school. I dont need to make money for us to survive, just for things like clothes, dinners, spending type monies. Thank you for your help!! :squareeye

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Assuming you can speak Spanish fluently here...Dominicanas love the beauty salon. They spend a good deal of their disposable income on health supplements, beauty supplies, hair dressing and the like. You couldn't think of a better place to open up a nice salon than in the DR.

Nov 25, 2008
retirement job

I must agree, Dominicans love to spend money at the salon, if your planning to do some kind os business, facial rejuvenatory shop would be a welcome business in POP.
First off I woild come down BEFORE you decide to seel shop in the US, come for a 1-2 month trial

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
We are definitely going to test the waters first, to see if it will work for us. Also, do you have to have a licence to practice cosmeyology there? Thank you guys for your help, these responses are better than I expected. Kind of a surprise, thanks!
jennie:surprised

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No you do not need a license. You just need a business license that is bought at the Internal Revenue office...the normal BS that goes with opening a business..

HB

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
I am betting that to open up a new business, and completely furnish the inside with salon equiptment would be ungodly expensive, as Im assuming I would have to import everything. I was thinking of maybe working for a resort at first, then when I get more acquainted with the people and culture, and of course all of the laws, then I will branch out on my own. Do the resorts have a need for english workers. I would be inclined to do pretty much anything, it doesnt have to be in the beauty field, but that would be great! In your opinion, how much RD would it cost to open a beauty salon there? Thanks, this is great information.
Jennie

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
it's hard to get a part time job at a resort, eventhough there is a need for english speakers.

you could open a small salon - like a one station kind of deal. and as dominicans love the salon, you can find most of the necessities to open one here, without importing and i imagine without breaking the bank