Cabarete cops

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
The Politur in Cabarete have recently been cracking down on prostitutes walking the streets and the beach, but they are going to go too far. The other night my wife?s sister and niece were waiting for us to arrive so that we could all go out for a good night on the beach. Next thing I know is that we get a phone call from her sister saying that the police were taking her and her niece to jail! Apparently the police did not like the way they looked and decided to haul them off. I was furious as these girls are definitely not street girls; they both have decent day jobs and were looking forward to having a few pre-Christmas drinks with us. Unfortunately that night my wife?s sister decided to put on a short skirt, and so in the cop?s eyes this automatically makes her a prostitute?
So, we went off to get them out of jail?which took us 2 ? hours. There was another person there in the same predicament as me..his wife?s sister was also hauled in for no apparent reason. She is a respectable person, her family is quite well known around Cabarete. So take note any of you that have a Dominican girlfriend/wife, make them aware of what is going on in Cabarete. Don?t let them go to the beach alone, especially with short skirts on, otherwise some dumb ass Politur may mistake them for a working girl, and you will have the pleasure of having to wait around the police house waiting to get them out?no fun, believe me.
My wife is afraid to go to the bathroom without her cell phone in case she gets taken away.
I understand that the police have a job to do, and a very hard and underpaid job at that, but it is getting ridiculous when normal Dominican girls cannot go out and enjoy themselves in their own country without getting harassed by the cops. My wife refuses to go down to Cabarete beach without me, which is too bad as I like it when she goes out with her family for a girls night out, but alas she no longer wants to.
What amazes me is that at any given time you will see the police laughing and joking with numerous prostitutes, leaving them to get on with their ?work? and carting off the non-working girls to jail?.mind you, I guess most of the cops get their little ?pay offs? from these girls on a regular basis.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
I wonder why is Politur doing it in the first place, since prostitution is not illegal in DR.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I can only guess that Caberete is being sold as a sports and family resort town. Someone with power must be pushing them. They wouldn't do it otherwise.

swooperman

Oct 10, 2007
Why don't they give the cops gas money so they can drive around enforcing the traffic laws of Canada adapted for here (as an example) The tickets could be preprinted to save time writing. (Driving 3 abreast) (Honking your horn like a fool) (Running Red Lights) etc. That way the cops could give out 10 or 20 tickets an hour. It should more than pay for the gas, keep the cops busy doing legitimate work. The revenue could be used to increase police pay. The savings in medical treatment and insurance claims could be applied to hiring a squad devoted to retrieving stolen lap tops and solving other property crimes.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
This is not new to say the least. These "sweeps" are done periodically in tourist areas when someone decides there is a need to "keep up appeariences". They will pretty much arbitrarily pick up any woman who is out in public. They used to do them 3 or 4 times a year on Long Beach in Puerto Plata. I believe I am correct in saying that the charge they are brought in on is not prostitution, but rather some sort of loitering/public nuisence nonsense.