Non-Charter "local fishing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mslik

Jan 2, 2009
www.gordonsestateservices.com
I am going to be in Sosua for the 1st time Jan 16 to 23, 2009. Staying AI (Casa Marina reef / beach) for my wife who likes to read. I have personally spent upwards of 20 hours investigating the "real Sosua" and plan to spend as much time off the resort as possible exploring and dining. I am a Bay of Quinte (Ontario Canada between Toronto and Ottawa - Prince Edward County) fisherman and enjoy bass and walleye fishing. I'd like to rent a small boat with a guide and catch fun fish. I have done the deep sea thing in Cuba with my sons and really didn't enjoy it, even though we caught 15 or so fish. I want to cast and reel and catch 10 or 20 fish 2 lb to 10 lb. I don't really care what it costs, just want to spend 1/2 day fishing for fun. Local or expat, I just need a boat and a fun guide who speaks some english with a couple good spots, rowing or motor, I don't care. I really don't like eating much fish, just catch and release.

The only information I have come across so far is:

"call victor in sosua.He is from the states and keeps boat in sosua the number is 809 880 5105. He seems to catch fish."

AND

"Pablo Santos from Aqua Adventure Sosua/Puerto Plata 809-571-1868"

Any other tips from those more informed would be awesome. If you live in the area and can help me out with reliable and unbiased information, I'd be happy to join you (and treat you) to a beer (or two) at one of the local favorite daytime spots AND if I catch lots of fish, lunch and beer / wine / etc. and fising stories and photos.

Hopefully there is a fisherman or two in Sosua. Anything I should watch out for or be careful of regarding fishing with locals, or is it generally all good if your head is up?

Thanks,
Mslik

Aug 21, 2007
Victor runs a 36 or so foot cabin cruiser. He will do charters. Is a nice guy. New Yorker, if I remember right. I don't know about Pablo Santos.

I have never fished here, but I understand exactly what you want to do, as I have boated and fished with local fishermen in dugout types of boats in Venezuela and West Africa.

My recommendation would be to talk with the gentleman who owns the jungle river tours. He has a several boats of the type you seem to want to go on, he speaks English, and is really a nice, generous guy. His place is in Islabon, just before the little bridge on the main road near the mouth of the river. I might be able to dig out his phone number if this is the type of thing you have in mind.

I imagine that unless you fish with someone like Victor on the big boat, you would need to bring your own tackle.

Maybe someone else here on this board has more experience fishing with the locals. Good luck. It sounds like fun!

Lindsey

mslik

Jan 2, 2009
Thanks Lindsey

If you can find his number I'd appreciate it. So far it is the only real live lead I have. I'd like to be a bit prepared before I get there so I don't have to spend my 1st few days looking. Appreciate your response and effort.

Kind Regards,
Mslik

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The only information I have come across so far is:

"call victor in sosua.He is from the states and keeps boat in sosua the number is 809 880 5105. He seems to catch fish."

This is still his number.

mslik

Jan 2, 2009
Thanks for the replies so far. The internet provides an incredible tool to pre-prepare for a trip so you have a better chance of hitting the ground running when you arrive. Sincerely appreciate you responses.

rox1547

Oct 1, 2008
Willy owns Jungle River Tours, his number is 809-667-1960. Really nice guy, he'd be happy to "hook" you up.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Most afternoons and nights there were fisherman fishing off the cliff by Sosua by the Sea but haven't seen them lately. Staying at Casa Marina if they are there you will be able to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.