Where to live in the DR??

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
Okay, let me start out by saying we are currently interested in moving to the DR. I have read several, several threads, and posts. There is a TON of great info on here, and has been an informational BLESSING! I have a few questions, that I have not seen answered here. I have been glued to the computer for the past three days since having found this site.

background:
I am a 29 year old female, with a 36 year old husband. We have 3 children ages 10, 9 and 10 months. We plan on "Renting" for 6 mo to a year before we purchase, as many have advised on this forum. We do however plan on buying as to have no home payments. We will buy a car there as well, get residency, then ship over all of our crap. We will have enough money in savings to live on, NOT luxuriously, we want to simplify, and teach our children a simpler way of life, and get away from all the greed, and craziness of the American way. We would like to live somewhere where we can mostly walk to the market, and into town, and be able to walk to the beach. The children will need a school to attend, so I would like to be close enough to one as to be able to get there in 15-20 minutes. Right now the North Coast is where we think we would like to start out, as the cost seems cheaper. Im thinking POP or Sousa. We will be looking for jobs there, not out of necessity, but because we want to work, and have money for some "fun" things. I have read all about the cost of living, so we know what to expect. So the question is where would be some good places to start looking for somewhere to live, taking into account the info I have provided. Also, Not to talk about myself, but I as well as my daughter are attractive females, and I would like a place where she and I would be safe to walk alone to the market beach areas.:D Thanks guys!! I look forward to hearing what your 2 cents is!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
So the question is where would be some good places to start looking for somewhere to live, taking into account the info I have provided.

No-one can really tell you because it is such an individual choice. All we can tell you is what suits us. But we don't know you so it would be unfair to make assumptions, even with the info provided.

Your best bet is to travel around looking. When you find the right place for you, you'll know. I don't know with children the age of yours that I would necessarily start on the north coast either. Maybe the east?

Good luck on you investigatory travels & welcome to DR1. :)

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for the info so far. I wasnt looking for anyone to "tell" me where to start looking, just what areas might be a good place to start. Uh, its alot to mull over, and of course I need to go investigate for myself. I thinks its going to be alot of fun. Thanks again for your welcome, and your advice is appreciated!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
IF you are looking at Puerto Plata or Sosua - I would seriously consider Puerto Plata. There are simply so many more options - for schools, areas to live, job opportunities etc. Sosua is a nice place to visit and spend the day on the beach.

Puerto Plata has good and bad areas. Like any small city - there are safe and no so safe areas. You will get to know them as you spend time here. Areas to consider- Atlantica ( more or less in front of Coca Cola) Marapica (Coca Cola) Bayardo (more expensive) Torre Alta (more expensive) area between Bayardo and the Malecon - think it is called Las Caobas. These are all nicer residential communities with options for you. Some are closer to the ocean, will offer different benefits to you.

IF you have not been here - come down and stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks and start getting the feel of the place. Look around - ask lots of questions. Don't believe what any ONE person tells you, form your own ideas.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
How Much is "ENOUGH"???

I would be interest in knowing "What You Consider To Be ENOUGH" $$$$$ for a family of 5 to live on in the DR,after you have been reading DR! ,and STILL want to move here?
I have a"Family" of nine in my home. It cost me well over $3,000 US a month to live,and I have no house,or car payment!
As far as your "Thinking" that a move to the DR will,"Simplify" your "LIFE",

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
Nothing I jhave found to be "Simple" in over 20 years!!

Cris colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While Cris and I tend to be the curmudgeons on this board, we do have nearly 70 years of combined experience here, so that is worth something, I hope.

Look, Planner has told you to really take a look around.

North Shore? Okay, it has beaches and that is nice, up to a point.

It does not have very good schools, nor are the basic services all that hot. Real estate dealers have the reputation of a New Jersey used car salesman...

There are more options in POP than Sos?a, that's a fact. But there are many more, exponentially more, in Santiago than there are in POP.

Look, POP has some great people, but let me tell you that the Dominican "good people" are kinda clanish and sometimes can be standoffish.. for a while at least.

You have not told us what your skill sets are. If husband is a computer whiz or an engineer of some sort or just about anything technical, then Santo Domingo mignt be the right choice, even if it is sort of a madhouse in miniature...

No matter, do your planning with a lot more than the North coast in mind, please, and I think you will be happier for it...

HB

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
Yes, we are going to look around, look some more, than think about it all over again. A simple life for me is pretty much, well simple. We rarely go out, maybe once or twice a month for dinner. We just do simple things like being outside playing, or the kids like computer games. We dont buy expensive things, or splurge on items like designer purses or jewelry. We really have dull lives. So I would much rather have a simple life, where the costs of living are somewhat close to here in Chicago,(Some things being higher, some being lower, point taken) But live our simple life somewhere where we are not FREEZING, and where we can make new friends. Hey if it doesnt work out, we can go back to the states. But at least we will have a story about how we spent some time out of our lives on a Carribean Island. I myself have been in the Beauty Industry for 10 years as a Cosmetologist, and then a regional manager overseeing 15+ salons and retail outlets. My husband is in sales. Maybe I'll open a beauty salon on the beach, maybe Ill collect shells. Im just exploring the options and possibilities, good and bad. I appreciate all of the input, negative, and positive. The negative is always needed as to see more than just the sunny side of things, and to bring a slap of reality into the situation. Thank you for the opinions on different areas, as you all would know much better than I, and thats why I asked. :cheeky:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well beauty salons are a major player in the DR. So are beauty supplies.

the pay, however, is not all that great....

But once again, a larger city will offer better demographics.

Good luck...

HB

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
The fact that people are recommending their home areas is proof that you can be happy with your relocation. I've got a wife and 3 kids in Sosua (I commute from New York). It's close enough to POP and Santiago for essential services, has several good schools and nice beaches, and combined with Cabarete is a booming area.

Safety is a factor, for sure. The police are unreliable at best. But Sosua and Cabarete are not bad from my point of view. Never having been to Punta Cana I wourldn't know for sure, but my guess is that for safety that would be the place. - D

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
all the areas have their tops and flops.
nice beaches are found on all 3 coastlines of the island, while i do myself not like much the south, i prefer the north and the east over the south.
in case of the school for the kiddies i would say the best spots are Santiago and of course the Capital City. such depends on how close you wanna have a beach of course.
all that stuff is also found here on the east where i live, top schools but also for top rates, beachfront properties are on incredibly high rates here, on the east shopping will not be in walking distance when you purchase property on a beach.
i live myself since 14 years here on the east coast, sure i love it, we need a 30 meters walk to hit the super calm beach which is a huge advantage for kids, our son is 6 and we can let him play on the beach all day long. but nothing of good shopping right aside, in my case we talk Cabeza de Toro, there are a few small colmados where you can walk by for something you forgot to purchase on the last shopping tour, but to reach a real supermarket for a real shopping i drive a 25 minutes oneway to the Spermercado Caribe in Bavaro, some smaller ones are in the 10 minutes driving range, but not as good in case of rates and products.
and here on the eastcoast you have to consider school costs, depending on the level of private school you want to send the kids to.
i can not compare in details to the northcoast, because my last visit there been many years back.
will be there for a couple nights mid month, sure including a stop at Rocky's, somebody told me he has the best sparerips and always a cold beer aside, will check out if that's true, ha ha.
i recommend as the main point the same like the guys did above.
take several weeks of vaca and rent in an area which you preselected, walk and drive around there, get a feeling for the surroundings, check rates and available amenities, drive around other areas including the cities also and stay there a while at each to be able to compare to the beach area.
good luck
and welcome to the Isle
Mike

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
Thank you guys again for more info, personal experiences are far better than any other information I can find on the web. Its much appreciated!

Jennie

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
There is many things to consider in finding the idea location mainly it what you want. Most people can only see out of their eyes. I'm no different I chose to live in the quiet and safe countryside. Most of the people whom like to rip off gringo go where the gringos are. I know the people for miles around and they know me if I have a problem they are happy to help me and vice-versa. I'm about 15 minutes from the beach and town. If you where to set up a saloon near where I live you would be very busy.

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
What part of the DR do you live in? Folks keep telling me that opening a salon would be a great idea. I would have never guessed that, I figured there would be salons everywhere. That gives me some things to think about... I also would have thought that living in the countryside would make you more available for robbery/home invasion. Your point though about theives going to where the gringos are makes a-lot of sense it that aspect. I appreciate your feedback. :)

Jennie

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I also would have thought that living in the countryside would make you more available for robbery/home invasion. Your point though about theives going to where the gringos are makes a-lot of sense it that aspect. I appreciate your feedback. :)

Jennie
I would urge you to remember that your children are gringos as well and may have certain needs (medical, social, educational) that might require a more sophisticated environment. Make sure that your sense of adventure is in their best interests as well. - D

Reactions: MikeFisher

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
Ah yes, the little beasts. We have included them in all of our thoughts and ideas about the possibility of moving to the DR. And of course they are still very young and in that whimsical and fairy tale stage in life, unaware of what an enormous change this would be for them. They are very interested in the possibility of a lifestyle change.
Of course this weighs heavily on my mind when contemplating the possibility ahead of us. Most of all I am concerned about their education, and when the time comes in their life, when they are ready to move onto higher education, Will they be prepared? That is why we are trying to be as intensive as possible, in our search for the "right" location. When and if the time comes for us to start traveling to different schools, we will be looking for all the right things for them. Children are very adaptable, and socially, I think they will be ok, like I said they are still young enough for the transition to be smoother, than for us big people. Not that they wont face challenges, but I think my kids are pretty strong, and they will be ok. Medical facilities are also a great point! This is another very important point. We have been so blessed in our life, and all of our children are healthy, only one has allergies to anything metal that isnt real gold, of course its my daughter, go figure. There are many, many, children who are alive and well on the Island, I have no doubt that if medical care is needed we would be able to provide them with that in the DR as well as have the resources to be able to take them back to the states if need be. I have been thinking along the lines with you sophistication wise... Would it be too laid back an enviroment for them? I cant tell you that, because I dont know. I wish I did though. The point that you brought up have been great, its all a-lot to digest, its a huge thing. Thats why im trying to suck in as much information as possible, so that we can make the best decisions for our whole family. It might be the best thing we have ever done, then again it could be the worst, only time and experiences will lead us to that answer. I hope other people, familys, who may be considering this for their family, take into account all the things that you have mentioned, as it cant be a decision taken lightly, or to just fulfill a need someone may have to get "adventure", but a truly life changing decision for all involved. Thank you for your concern, and making very, very valid points. They will be mulled over the most of all. :) Thank you

peso100

Feb 20, 2006
I thinks it is great when someone takes a life-changing decision.
In one way it is quite complicated (in that order), on the other hand it is quite simple (afterwards when things have gone well)
Do not complicate things. If you are moving, you are not moving to the moon, you will still be amongst people, slightly different though.
Maybe like moving to another city.
It is pretty much like a marriage, you engage actively, positiv and loving, try to understand the othter part, being interested to understand and you?ll end up in in near paradise, (cause that does not exist)
However, you could be able to fint a life quality of your dreams for your family.
Just consider, it is up to you, go on vaccation, fing people trustworthy (seldom in a bar), make aquaintances in the supermarket or where ever thrustworthy.
You can find hundreds of glorious and honest, also simple people. Those are the ones giving you good advice. You adjust that to your wallet and voilla, your luck is there.
After a couple of years of coarse you need to recheck your self:
all the new exotic things turn inte evrey day stuff, they loose a bit of their charm and become everyday stuff to you too. so some of it might get boring and you start to use streaming audio radio on your computer to listen news from home, longing for your culture again, even critisizing politics, etc.
So you need always to keep in your mind what you have done and why, being square with youself and making a fair evaluations.
There is no such a place like paradise, I think on purpose. If I were God and liked to create a place like a paradise, I certainly would have restrictions, even paradise should get boring, don?t you think?
A good bit of self discipline is needed for a good life in general, here the Dominicans are real champs. This is an extremely positiv population who you could approach at any time, you make friends instantly. A certain percent of them are crooks, like everywhere, be suspicious and you will easily avoid them. Talk to many people! The majority is super honest, like in old times at home! Everyone has an oppinion, here no one is shy.
More important, do not be shy yourself!
This can be the hardest part.

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
Thank you, that is wonderful advice. I really appreciate you sharing that with us. I just have a gut feeling that this could be the right thing to do. And like you said, if it doesnt work, we can always go back. Although when we go back we will have a whole new appreciation for a group of people and a culture that not many people get to experience. Thanks!

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
If I was moving here from the states with kids I probably would do it for a summer first to see if it was for us.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If I had kids, i would never move to the coast, especially the north coast. try spending time out in the commercial streets of sosua at night, even cabarete. Count how many hookers there are on streets. I would never take my girlfriend or even advice my sister to visit sosua town at night. Just not the place for decent folks.
The beach is wonderful.
remember, your attractive daughter will be growing up among these people. Would you like to have a street pimp as your son-in-law? happens to many people. just look at the boyfriends foreign ladies have there. Not a single one worth bragging about.
Puerto plata is better option but still, its the coast, sort of like a campo with beach. no real culture, very few classy dominicans. Just try going to a bar or a disco there at night. Even when you are having dinner in a family restaurant, just watch how many foreign men dinning there with their hooker girlfriends.
I say come to santiago. This is there the real dominican starts from.
AZB (beta version 2.0 with few bugs)