costs

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Hello, It's been awhile...how much are things right now...lets say the average price of a nights stay in a guest house (I know they can go from ...A to Z! But the average!)to rent a car for one day.....the cost of public transportation from Boca Chica to the Capital.....a beer...a bottle of brugal....a beer in a colmado ...a beer in a bar?

swooperman

Oct 10, 2007
From what I gather, talking to old timers, having myself only resided on this tropical Island for 13 months... prices have risen while Boca Chica has dropped. You can rent a car in Sosua for 1300 pesos a day, a pretty young girl for 1,000 pesos an hour, if you are not too fat and old, a crummy washing machine for 800 pesos a month, a big beer in the store is 70 pesos, and a regular Presidente is 80 to 100 pesos in a bar, and as low as 50 pesos at happy hour. Cops are still 500 pesos or less for small traffic violations. Push starting a big motor cycle is 50 pesos. Mowing a large yard is 500 pesos. Moto Conchos 20 to 30 pesos (30 for the happy ones) Crippled people by the Farmacia are happy with anything you give them. I always give them something.
This has been the worst month for tourism anyone can remember. So you would think prices would be lower soon as the reality sets in. Oh, and falling in love might cost you everything! Starting or buying a business will for sure!!!

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
From what I gather, talking to old timers, having myself only resided on this tropical Island for 13 months... prices have risen while Boca Chica has dropped. You can rent a car in Sosua for 1300 pesos a day, a pretty young girl for 1,000 pesos an hour, if you are not too fat and old, a crummy washing machine for 800 pesos a month, a big beer in the store is 70 pesos, and a regular Presidente is 80 to 100 pesos in a bar, and as low as 50 pesos at happy hour. Cops are still 500 pesos or less for small traffic violations. Push starting a big motor cycle is 50 pesos. Mowing a large yard is 500 pesos. Moto Conchos 20 to 30 pesos (30 for the happy ones) Crippled people by the Farmacia are happy with anything you give them. I always give them something.
This has been the worst month for tourism anyone can remember. So you would think prices would be lower soon as the reality sets in. Oh, and falling in love might cost you everything! Starting or buying a business will for sure!!!

Excellent!

100% true.

Nothing to add.

Except - you can get a rent car at airport for RD800-900 if book on-line.

Book the smallest and cheapest one. They do not have it in stock and will give you bigger without paying for upgrade.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
what if they do have it in stock - you get stuck with a cheap car thats too small

bohemia and pizza are very cheap ...but I dont like either

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
really great post...... but do people really rent washing machines or is there another meaning?

I guess both are available by the load!
ji17c6.jpg

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I guess both are available by the load!
ji17c6.jpg

Tambo,
both on that bike are considered a 'washing machine', ha ha. but the one on the left is the more reliable one and over the time costs less.
great post swooperman,
i just disagree on the 1000.- "rentals", you need to be very fat or ugly or much too much gringo to pay such high rates, ha ha ha