Snorkel in Sosua???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbersworld

Jan 4, 2009
I am going to be in viva w. tangerine in Feb. I hear there is snorkeling on a beach in Sosua. Could someone tell me which beach and how to get there. Is there anywhere else close to snorkel other than Sousa?
Kimber

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1, kimbersworld. Just to let you know I deleted the duplicate thread you posted in the Living forum - you should get the replies you need here in Travel/North Coast. :)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i beleive there are threads on this in the archives- ask the taxi driver to drop you at la roca restaurant in sosua and walk down to the beach from there- you can snorkle on the beach or take a trip a little further out to sea on an organised tour or swim out if you are a good swimmer.....rio san juan also has good snorkling in the opposite direction from cabarete

kayak77

Jan 5, 2009
You can arrange with any of the several dive shops along sosua beach to take you out in a small boat to "3 Rocks". Very nice snorkeling, only cost $15 for a full hour including boat trip, and equipment. Crystal clear water...beautiful. Only 10 to 15 minutes by boat from Sosua beach. You can also just snorkel along sosua beach but the visibility is only so-so and there is not as much to see close in.

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Very easy to snorkel right off the main beach in Sosua. We always make a point of taking our equipment with us when we go there. The best spot is off of the middle of the beach and a few minutes swim out to the coral formation there. Have an aerial picture that shows the coral formations in the bay if you want it.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
The snorkeling off the bay of Sosua is usually quite good but as mentioned, there are times when the visibility is limited. Also a very popular spot is directly in front of the Infiniti Blu development. One thing, be very careful of the recently arrived Lion fish. They are fantastic to look at but do not approach them. As a snorkeler you may find it hard to see them, but many scuba divers are seeing them on a regular basis. Lion fish are extremely dangerous and will shoot poisonous spines at anything or one that seriously threatens them. If you see them, keep your distance but enjoy their beauty..they are amazing creatures. Just like anything in the ocean, you should respect it and they will respect you....if you find a dart in your butt then you got too close...lol !!

Reactions: FernieBee

cun

Aug 5, 2010
Beach Snorkeling!

Is there a place near Puerto Plata or Santo Domingo that resembles Cayo Levantado where you can do snorkeling (waist deep water and can see fish) with a toddler? How about equipment rental?

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
I am going to be in viva w. tangerine in Feb. I hear there is snorkeling on a beach in Sosua. Could someone tell me which beach and how to get there. Is there anywhere else close to snorkel other than Sousa?
Kimber

You can also walk from the Wyndham Tangerine in a westerly direction along two bays, you will then reach Kite Beach, marked by flags on the rocks at the point. On the reef there (80 meters out), there is some snorkelling to be done - we went the other day and saw quite a few fish. It can be very shallow on the reef at low tide. There are also some caves in that location that people sometimes dive.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The snorkeling off the bay of Sosua is usually quite good but as mentioned, there are times when the visibility is limited. Also a very popular spot is directly in front of the Infiniti Blu development. One thing, be very careful of the recently arrived Lion fish. They are fantastic to look at but do not approach them. As a snorkeler you may find it hard to see them, but many scuba divers are seeing them on a regular basis. Lion fish are extremely dangerous and will shoot poisonous spines at anything or one that seriously threatens them. If you see them, keep your distance but enjoy their beauty..they are amazing creatures. Just like anything in the ocean, you should respect it and they will respect you....if you find a dart in your butt then you got too close...lol !!

Please get your facts straight. The lionfish does not "shoot" its spines at anyone or any thing. It simply does not have that capability. You have to actually initiate contact with it, and that would be despite it's best efforts to avoid you.

Status
Not open for further replies.