Why do People in DR think I'm Rich???

LaElitePre-Med

Jun 19, 2007
Hi everyone, I'm sorry if I sound like I'm moaning, groaning, and whining, but I have an issue every time I go to DR: people think I'm rich. My own family (in DR) is especially guilty of this. They always talk about myself and my parents as if we're rolling in the dough when we're not! I've gotten the whole "you're life is easy beyond belief" spiel from everyone in DR except, of course, from the few upper class people I've become acquainted with. My grandmother constantly undercuts the hardships that my parents have gone through in this country to become marginally successful. She makes light of the fact that my parents came here in their late 20's and 30's with nothing and , just like a lot of other immigrants in this country, had to etch out a living for themselves. My parents had to work full time and go to night school for years to learn English, as I'm sure many other people have done in this country; My father in particular had to go to college again in this country because his degree from DR was worth nothing here. I have tried over and over to explain to them that no one has it easy and that my parents have gone through hell for everything they've acquired in this country. I always hear them talking about how everything here is much cheaper than it is over there and are adamant about that assumption (even though they've never set foot here, so they're speaking out of their ass). I have to argue tooth and nail to make them realize that life here is anything but easy, but it certainly doesn't help when they see other extended family members that live in the U.S. that either make lots of money because they (sadly) sell drugs or because they save their meager paychecks all year to buy flashy things when they go to DR (para aparentar ser ricos). These same extended family members love nothing more than to fill my family in DR with false dreams about how things in the U.S. are practically gifted when it comes to price ( no wonder so many people lose their lives in yolas trying to come to the country "where everyone is rich". Does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with oral diahrea such as this? Sorry to sound like such a little B*tch but I'm at my wits end with having to hear such absurd notions and I have to go back every few months for medical reasons so I always have to put up with their clueless yammering.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Perhaps it is the way you've been carrying yourself. It could be your persona. You even have the word "ELITE" in your DR1 Handle.

Most of us from the states deal with this. I wouldn't dwell on it too much, because they will always think you are richer than they are.

LaElitePre-Med

Jun 19, 2007
Maybe it is my persona and don't realize ( although the Elite in my handle refers to the entire name- I've always been believed in academic excellence and I chose my handle so that it would reflect that I am an Elite scholar). I guess I should just not worry about it too much, and quite frankly I'm tired of having to justify myself to people who know nothing about, or have never set foot in, the U.S. From now on I'll just try and steer the conversation in another direction as it's clear that other people deal with this too.

Mar 2, 2008
In comparison with most folks from the DR you probably are relatively well-off, and what your parents had to go through in order to attain their present position really is beside the point to many Dominicans.

And I agree with TOOBER. Don't let it get to you. If you do, it will influence the way you act, your attitude toward others, and how you are perceived. Just understand there are jealous people everywhere, and it is best to overlook it.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Are a Bling-Bling freak? Guzzing JW Blue Label? Driving around on a BMW? Then you're welcome to my Bling-Blring Club. It's only money. Can't take it
with you to the other side. So let's burn it. Later, gator.!!;)

Reactions: Rocky

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You are definitely not alone. Read this thread by MusicQueen
http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/71161-first-trip-back-husband-wife.html
and I think she had some follow up posts about the visit, too. There have been plenty of others, that was just one I remembered.

From now on I'll just try and steer the conversation in another direction as it's clear that other people deal with this too.

Good idea. You know the Dominican thing about responding to the last distraction/red herring? You can use that to your advantage. ;)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
There are plenty of Dominicans who have much more money than you who don't care where you're from.

Anyone who hassles you about this resents you. There is nothing you can do to enlighten them about life in America, so stop trying.

The attitude you are receiving goes hand in hand with other things. They will think you have to pay for everything and it is your duty to give to them because you have more than they do.

Don't take this the wrong way, but family or not you need to hang out with a different class of people when you go to the DR.

Stop slamming your head against the wall arguing with people who will never listen to you or believe anything you say.

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ask yourself if the situation was reversed would these people be handiing money out to you -you can never give enough to some people

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Come to santiago and you will be considered just another struggling person who is just getting by from day to day.
You will see more $ 100K suvs than you care to count. No one is a big fish in a small pond here. get to know the real dominicans for a change so you can stop complaining.
AZB

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Dear Mr Insensitive
I beleive the op is of Dominican origin and has relatives here so they must be real Dominicans

Reactions: FernieBee

LaElitePre-Med

Jun 19, 2007
I'm sorry If I offended anyone...

Thanks guys, you've all made really good points, I can't keep tiring myself out trying to make people understand my situation if it will only be futile at best. And to AZB I'm sorry if I offended your sensibilities but I'm an intelligent individual like everyone else in this forum and I've always known that there are wealthy populations in DR, populations of people that have more money than I will ever dream of making in a lifetime, so please don't make it seem as if I live under a rock and don't know about this fact of life. At the same time I realize that I should have been more specific and should have mentioned that it is mostly Dominicans from lower socioeconomic backgrounds (and some middle class) that think I'm rich. In short, I'm very far from rich and the only people who don't see that are the people who've had even less than I all their lives. And for the record, I don't understand what AZB means when he writes that I have to get to know the "real" Dominicans; I wasn't aware that there was a certain checklist of things that make someone a "real" Dominican (although judging from the way he wrote his statement it seemed as though he was reffering to "well-off" Dominicans as the "real" Dominicans). Oh well, to each his own, I hate to throw this thread off track.Thanks to everyone here I have realized that I really need to relax and take it with a grain of salt. Keep the answers coming though, there's no such thing as too much advice!

Mar 2, 2008
"there's no such thing as too much advice!"

What a refreshing attitude.

Perhaps more importantly, you have demonstrated your ability to make some uniquely insightful observations of the various personalities 'contributing' to this thread.

It is quite obvious why you have done so well academically, and, with your fine-tuned observational skills, it's equally obvious that you will do well in your chosen profession.

Keep up the good work.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I understand this quite well...It has been going on all over the rest of the world. EVERYONE thinks that the streets of the US are paved with gold...nothing anyone can do about it.

Fact is, if you DO the hard work ,and study and work and save, you can get ahead. It is amazing to meet the Dominicans that live very well here in South Florida...

And yes, things are cheaper here. Okay. But that does not mean they are cheap...

Just distract people when they start talking about money. Cry poor, no bling, no major brand names beyond Old Navy....

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
It does not matter what you do and say....to them, eveything in the USA is cheap and we all have money shoved up our a**es for a rainy day. I just had a taxi driver who was taking me to Santiago airport ask me to bring him back some Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses and he would "pay me when I got back". He said specifically "que no sea fake". Can you believe that?
I have given up...I don't have time to keep explaining to these people. You'll get tired too eventually.
SHALENA

Reactions: Tamborista

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't get it. People come to DR and associate with people they would never associate with in USA or in their own native country, yet the moment they step off the plane in DR, its off to ghetto land.
I have just returned from atlanta and NYC. Did I instantly go to spend a week in projects with the jobless food stamp cashing folks? Did I hang out with mexican dish washers in indian restaurants? Did I feel the need to give a huge tip to 7/11 clerk who makes minimum wages? Did I fall in love with bathroom cleaning lady of a hotel where I spent a night? No I didn't do any of that. This would be considered inappropriate behavior. If I did associate with them, I am sure I would be complaining like the OP.
I stayed with my family and friends who are similar to my taste and style. I didn't have to tell anyone anything of Dr because almost all of them have been here and have seen santiago in depth. So not many friends of mine think most dominicans live in holes and caves.
I do the same when I live in DR. My friends are similar to what I socialized with in USA. They have traveled to USA and europe on many occasions. Most of my previous girlfriends either have visas, are citizens of USA or have greencards. My friends take me to airport and pick me up in santiago. They pay their own way in restaurants and bars and even pay for me. BOB (laurapsinifan) has seen one of my friends in santiago and saw how he moves. I don't have to explain anything to them, its all common knowledge to them. They prefer to live here. I don't feel like a big fish in a small pond. We have many big fishes all around me.
So the point is, why socialize with people you folks have little in common with and then turn around and complain of the same people? Why not socialize with people of your own caliber in DR? There is nothing wrong with doing just that.
AZB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I believe LaElitePre-Med was referring to her relatives (i.e. extended family members) here, like her grandmother. She can't pick and choose what strata of society her relatives (i.e. extended family members) belong to. And I don't believe she would have much option about associating with her relatives (i.e. extended family members) because if she did she would be perceived as elite in the other sense (not the educational one she meant).

Sorry about the repetition. Just wanted to make sure that the word 'relatives' was clearly understood.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
ok, i admit, I didn't read the whole thread or even the whole first post. So let me get this straight:
If the OP is dominican and talking about his relatives then what is the confusion? A dominican is coming to expats , questing the behavioral track thinking of his own dominican family members? Am I understanding this correctly?
AZB

LaElitePre-Med

Jun 19, 2007
Thank you so much Lambada, you stated what I was just about to state. Since I only know my family in DR they are the people that I am around all the time. And like Lambada said, I would probably be considered "plastica" (a snob) as some people say, if I were to only hang out with young Dominicans from well-to-do families while ignoring my own kin. I try to live my life reminding myself that I am no better than anyone (thanks to my parents); fortunately I had parents that served me a generous portion of humble pie whenever I was getting too big for my britches so that I could grow up knowing one simple fact: I am no worse or no better than anyone; anyone that thinks they are better than another human being should certainly get off any high horse that makes them feel as if those less fortunate are mere peons . AZB you've made some good points on issues in other threads but I must say that you've handled your responses to my thread quite distastefully. I was asking for pointers and help for making my family realize that I am not rich, I was NOT looking to be told that I should hang around a "different class" of Dominicans. I'm very sorry if I offend anyone guys, I'm just having a bad day and the last post rubbed me the wrong way.

LaElitePre-Med

Jun 19, 2007
No AZB I am not asking expats to delve into and interpret the psyche of my Dominican family, I was simply asking how everyone conveys to their families that they are not rich either. And I'm sorry about my last post, it had quite an angry tone to it and I had no right to address you that way, my apologies.