Interesting article

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
I wonder how these pharmacist in the U.S selling pills w/o a script manage to keep their license. I hope the article prompts an investigation.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I wonder how much of this is going on in the DR also..

Well, there was a study published in the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology in 2005: 'Misoprostol and declining abortion-related morbidity in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: a temporal association' which you can read here:
http://www.misoprostol.org/File/EvidMort_Miller.pdf

According to the article it has been approved for OB/GYN uses in France, Brazil, Taiwan and Egypt.

Misoprostol

Plus Russia, Spain etc all the striped countries on this map
Misoprostol Availability

The UK trials: 'The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists has called for robust randomised controlled trials of misoprostol in this indication with a proper pharmaceutical formulation. Two phase three clinical trials of Isprelor? have been completed. Their results have been presented at the 20th European Congress of Obstetrics and Gynaecology held in Lisbon in March 2008, and the 7th International Scientific meeting of the Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecologists held in Montreal in September 2008, and published in the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (BJOG-2008 Sep; 115(10):1279-88).'

The abstract of this study over 18 National Health Centres covering 626 women is here
Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies

I can remember the hoops we had to go through to get abortions in the UK prior to it becoming legal in 1967. Never thought that by 2009 there would still be countries that insisted on keeping these obstacles.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am a Labor&Delivery RN and have been for 8 years. We have ALWAYS used Cytotec to induce labor for inductions or even for IUFDs (Intra-Uterine Fetal Demise). This is nothing new, these women have been doing this for a long time...it is not going to change as long as Cytotec is available for other medical reasons. I have a friend who worked part-time at an abortion clinic where they give Cytotec for the "Private, do-it-at-home abortion". She has seen girls who plan to keep their babies go in and say that they want an abortion just to go home and give the pills to a friend who doesn't want her baby.
When you use Cytotec incorrectly or without the supervision of an OB or OB RN, the most likely problem we see is retained fragments. The girl usually a couple of days after is still bleeding very heavily (soaking more than 1 pad an hour) and acquires a fever. At that point they usually end up in the ER needing a D & C (Dilation and Curettage) which is what most of them wanted to avoid in the first place.
Also...Cytotec is best taken dissolved under the tongue where the medicine is released slowly into the system....if swallowed at one time, the woman increases her risk of Uterine rupture.
ANY fetus above 24 weeks is considered viable in most hospitals....I am sure that alot of these girls doing this are more than 24 weeks. Where are they putting these babies???
SHALENA

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I saw this article this morning very early and asked DR1 if they wanted me to put it up. I am sure it will be in the Spanish language papers tomorrow...
If you want to read it, I have it saved...

this article and the one about teenage dating abuse really woke me up as to what kids are facing these days...30-35% of teen girls face abuse in their relationships...

HB

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Well, there was a study published in the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology in 2005: 'Misoprostol and declining abortion-related morbidity in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic: a temporal association' which you can read here:
http://www.misoprostol.org/File/EvidMort_Miller.pdf

Thanks for the article.

It's sad that women are putting their lives at risk taking medication w/o being under the care of a doctor. I think we need to do a better job of talking to our kids about birth control. I know that sex is not openly discussed in most dominican families and the kids end up learning things from the street.

I wonder how many of these women think that because they are not having a procedure done at a doctors office they are not having an abortion :ermm:

Last edited: