Non-touristy areas of Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manuel832

Dec 12, 2008
hi,

just a quick question,

where does one stay if they would like to avoid touristy areas in Puerto Plata?

ofcourse i have read alot in the forums that POP is touristy and it at times appears to be impossible to escape but surely there must be a way to hang out in areas where the locals hang out and meet them and make friends from there.

Thanks

May 12, 2005
You mean like poor barrios?? Although knowing the type of most people who frequent the north coast, you might find lots of tourists there anyway.

Manuel832

Dec 12, 2008
hi frank the tank

You mean like poor barrios?? Although knowing the type of most people who frequent the north coast, you might find lots of tourists there anyway.
To be honest I am not too fussy about poor or rich barrios. I have lived in very poor areas in Africa so I know roughly how to hold myself. I think it's silly when people on internet board debate this issue or hanging out with poor or rich folks. as long as the person isn't a d**khead then yes I will hang out with you or you can chill with me.

what I mean is this....say a guy wanted to live there a few months and would like to avoid touristy type people and areas where such folks hang out, then where would one go? POP seems to be a pretty big place on the map so surely now every corner is "gringo infested".

When every I visit foreign countries and I meet people who are british or from another european country, they tend to just **** me off. They say silly things and act silly. They wouldn't do this sort of thing back home but on another persons land they will. Of course not all of them are this way and I can't put everyone in a jar and labal them. There are some really cool gringos around as well but just from experience and many of the ones I come in contact with. They will just taint your image.

Thanks

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
have you thought of looking at Gasper Hernandez, or Rio San Juan, or even Cabrera

May 12, 2005
Ah Manuel, I see you are a newbie. If you have followed the board some then you know what the meaning behind my post was. Follow the advice of the previous poster and look into some of those other towns if you want someplace not so "touristy".

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
POP seems to be a pretty big place on the map so surely now every corner is "gringo infested".

No, Puerto Plata town per se is mercifully uninfested for the most part. The area where I live, Bayardo, you would be hard pressed to find a single gringo (of approx 400 families 4 are gringo, 3 or 4 are mixed & the rest are Dominican). Torre Alta has a few more foreigners but not many. Likewise locations like Marapica, El Doral, Urb. Atlantica, Urb. Brugal, Urb. Arzeno Hurtado etc are nice areas with few foreigners and none of these are downtown barrios. For nice areas with more foreigners you would be looking at Costambar or Cofresi.

Bear in mind however that in most of these first 7 areas mentioned 'hanging out' is done inside the home - these are residential areas in the main. While Urb. Atlantica has colmados where you can do some shopping & meet people, Urb. Bayardo does not.

In some of these areas you would be able to rent short term accommodation but not easily in all of them. Again, being residential, the dwellers tend to be long term and not transients.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I wouldnt exactly call Puerto Plata touristy, apart from playa dorada area of course,which is outside the main town

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
have you thought of looking at Gasper Hernandez, or Rio San Juan, or even Cabrera

What a fantastic idea.
I would personally go for GH - there is local life outside of the home and going by your post - GH would meet your criteria.

Good luck and have fun.

jenascrich

Jan 3, 2009
Sosua Beach or Cabarette, tourtisty but not as much as Puerto Plata, meaning if you walk out of your hotel in Sosua you will be in town. In Puerto Plata, if you walk out of your hotel, you will just run into another hotel

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
You cannot compare Sosua or caberete to pop, puerto plata is a regular working city,not a tourist spot like the above mentioned,It has tourists but per capita not manny.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Sosua Beach or Cabarette, tourtisty but not as much as Puerto Plata, meaning if you walk out of your hotel in Sosua you will be in town. In Puerto Plata, if you walk out of your hotel, you will just run into another hotel
That sounds like Playa Dorada.
PD is the ultimate touristy area but I don't consider PD a part of Puerto Plata city.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Is this a question or a statement? If a statement it is incorrect. If a question did you read posts 7, 8 & 9 before yours and now 14 & 15 after yours?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
A ridiculous post. Clearly you have never set foot in Puerto Plata in your life.

Reactions: wishingiwasthere

jenascrich

Jan 3, 2009
Relax! Relax!! Honestly, I did not read through the whole post. That's where email is dangerous, compared to actually speaking, everything gets lost in translation. YES, you are correct. I mis spoke(Like Hilary) about Puerto Plata and touristy hotels. What I should have said was if you book in playa dorada, if you walk out of the complex you will just walk into another hotel. Puerto Plata is nice. The city, the malecon,the resturants, the people. SORRY AND PEACE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.