Carnaval on the North Coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btraveliajar

Jan 6, 2009
Hola,

I've made plans to arrive in the DR on Friday Feb 27 and head directly to Rio San Juan for beachtime without realizing that I was coming in the middle of carnival/independence day. Though I hadn't planned this to be a big drinking trip, I'm ready to adjust...

Is there anywhere worth going for carnival on the north coast? Everything I'm finding on the web points toward la vega as the place to be. Is it really that much better than other celebrations and worth redoing my compulsively planned itinerary of r&r?

And after 5 years of living on the parade route of mardi gras in new orleans, I've had my fill of massive drunken crowds. I'm hoping there is something relatively more relaxed than what I've read so far of la vega's culo-hitting & pick-pocketing. I have no problem with festivities, I just don't want to be in a situation where I feel I have no control. Is it really that wild, or only if you seek it out?

Thanks for all help

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
My understanding is that all of the cities send delegations to the capitol on the last weekend in February for one grand carnaval finale. Although the costuming and parade events in the DR differ from other carnivals, if you have lived along the mardis gras parade route in New Orleans for five years I frankly don't think you'll find it worthwhile to interrupt your plans for r&r and tranquility in Rio San Juan. But that's only my humble opinion.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Grahame.

The Independence parade in Puerto Plata is of a partial interest to those of us who live here because we can wave to people we know in the parade &/or meet friends in the street whom we have not met in a while. It is NO Mardi Gras, it is NOT Nottinghill Carnaval (another well known Caribbean party place!!) & it is NOT up to the standard of La Vega. Strangers (although extremely welcome) would find it a bore, uninteresting & fairly low key compared to the other places mentioned!

My advice would be to head to La Vega or continue on to your final destination for your well deserved R & R!! ~ Grahame.

Status
Not open for further replies.