cayo levantado

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
There's only one way. By boat. This is a beatiful experience. You have to experience by yourself. At the dock ask for Eliseo, a nice guy. I was there in 2003 and can't wait to go back. Good luck !!!;)

Zeus

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Seems a bit commercial nowadays

My first time was March 1986. Does anyone actually still use the name Cayo Levantado? Or just "Bacardi Island"? It's not what it once was.
Sorry I am just feeling a bit nostalgic this morning I guess.
Back to the OPs question, any and all moto concho drivers will offer a ride to hook up with a water taxi.
I guess the WT may have a place at the dock now? we used to have to go to a beach/launching poit to board the taxi. LOL

Last edited:

faithie

Oct 29, 2008
We stayed there at Christmas, it was very nice but I believe I would have preferred it before with the small hotel, more in it's natural state.

ageorge

Jul 17, 2009
can you book boat to cayo levantado w/o using ship tender?

we are going on an NCL cruise in Oct. and ship charges $50 pp just to get to Cayo Levantado and back -- nothing else! Does anyone know of a way to pre-arrange someone to take you to and from C.L. No one in our group speaks Spanish (knew that high school French would get me nowhere!), so we'd rather try to set something up in advance instead of fumbling around once we get there. We have a group of 10.
Thanks!!
Anne

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
With the ship in that day I don't see as you'll have a problem finding a water taxi out to Cayo Levantado & don't worry about the lack of Spanish, the folks on the dock speak several languages. Keep in mind that you have a couple of months to learn a phrase or two... It couldn't hurt, it might actually get you a better price. Enjoy your trip

LT

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I?ve been to Cayo Levantado twice. The first time we got a boat fom Samana docks and paid through the nose. The second time we drove down to the next village down the coast (direction Las Galleras) got a boat there. It was so cheap that I had to ask was that price each or for the both of us - RD$ 400.

Sep 19, 2005
things are probably much different now, there was to be a big hotel built on it...I would imagine it is already done.

3 years ago I paid 1700 pesos for a private boat for two... there and back...but it was just a public beach area....the public boat left before we did.,.....it looked like it had about 30 people on it....

probably much cheaper...but it went only once out and back..per day

it was a really nice place.

bob

Crystal

Nov 7, 2005
Hi. Unless things have changed, the days that there are ships docking for Cayo there are no boats allowed to go over from Samana. Only the workers who tend to the restaurants/shops and hotel workers. This was last year during cruising season. I live off/on in Samana and have not been back since Oct 08 so things may have changed.