Health insurance on the north shore

Status
Not open for further replies.

digger

Jan 28, 2008
In September I registered with a health insurance company here on the North Coast, out of Costambar. The cost was $500 pesos a month. In December I was informed, by someone, not the insurance company, that the cost had gone up to 600 pesos a month as of January. Today, the day of payment, I received a call telling me that I had to pay 900 pesos, as the monthly cost had gone up from 500 to 600 pesos, but that I also had to pay a premium on the already paid deposit of 1000 pesos.
Has anyone else had to do this, and how do you feel about this? When I rented my apartment five years ago, and paid two months deposit, when the rent went up, I was not expected to increase the amount of the deposit!! What is this? And, of course, if I do not pay on the precise date, they cancel my insurance and keep the two months deposit. Seems like a LOSE/LOSE situation. Any comments?

AnonTraveler

Aug 6, 2008
In September I registered with a health insurance company here on the North Coast, out of Costambar. The cost was $500 pesos a month. In December I was informed, by someone, not the insurance company, that the cost had gone up to 600 pesos a month as of January. Today, the day of payment, I received a call telling me that I had to pay 900 pesos, as the monthly cost had gone up from 500 to 600 pesos, but that I also had to pay a premium on the already paid deposit of 1000 pesos.
Has anyone else had to do this, and how do you feel about this? When I rented my apartment five years ago, and paid two months deposit, when the rent went up, I was not expected to increase the amount of the deposit!! What is this? And, of course, if I do not pay on the precise date, they cancel my insurance and keep the two months deposit. Seems like a LOSE/LOSE situation. Any comments?

Assuming you are speaking with a real representative of the insurance company, this does not surprise me very much. I know the bank loans, for instance, can change their APR at the whim of the bank without any requirement of notice to you. Having a deposit for insurance essentially pays for the 'grace period' so the deposit must be sufficient to cover the cost of that. I'd pay it.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If this is done through the residence club that is correct the premium did go up. The reason you need also to pay a "bigger deposit" is that they retain enough money (now $600RD) to pay for a months premium incase you forget to pay so that your insurance does not lapse. Hence you need to increase your deposit to cover this.
We had to do the same thing.

Bob K

Status
Not open for further replies.