Where to buy a cell phone in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonrisa

Dec 23, 2008
I've read you can buy a cell phone for around $RD 800 that comes with about $RD 100 minutes. I'll be staying in Sosua in February and would like to pick one up. I'll have a rental car and will take day trips to Puerto Plata, Santiago and Rio San Juan. Where's the best place to buy such a phone? I know where the Claro store is and have heard they have some of the best connection coverage/quality. Is that where I should buy the phone? About how much do you think the phone will actually cost? Also, I will want to use the phone for future trips so want to be able to use a SIM card to buy additional time in the future. Any suggestions? Thanks.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I've read you can buy a cell phone for around $RD 800 that comes with about $RD 100 minutes. I'll be staying in Sosua in February and would like to pick one up. I'll have a rental car and will take day trips to Puerto Plata, Santiago and Rio San Juan. Where's the best place to buy such a phone? I know where the Claro store is and have heard they have some of the best connection coverage/quality. Is that where I should buy the phone? About how much do you think the phone will actually cost? Also, I will want to use the phone for future trips so want to be able to use a SIM card to buy additional time in the future. Any suggestions? Thanks.

In Sosua, go to "Orange" which is located next to Banco Popular and you are right about the price.

Just ask for directions as this is located in the "Heart" of Sosua and is really easy to find.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Unless they've improved, I'd avoid Viva. Although they are quite cheap, I could never get a good signal on the north coast.

Vince.

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
Claro reception is rubbish in sosua, as above recomends, the Orange shop in the town centre, from 650peso basic up to around 4500peso for the modern all singing, dancing, flashy things, and yes you will get 100peso talktimefree with all phones bought there. You will need your passport to buy one.

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
What are LD rates like on the Orange pay as you go phones? I may want to pick one up for some calls back to work in Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.