Jobs - living

Jayshiznit

Apr 5, 2007
Hi all -

Brief history. I'm 24 yrs and currently living in NYC. I'm employed by a large - world wide law firm (extensive law firm expirience - I.T ). As a young adult, i aspire to live life in different countries for personal growth purposes. Now, I'm from dominican by descent and have visited the country many times but for the first time in my life, I would love to live there atleast for a year. I'm wondering if employement for I.T (Information Technology) professionals is common in the area of Santiago (family in Baitoa Santiago) and easy to get..If so, does anyone know common salary. Here in the states i make 80-100k a year...Any companies that you can refer me to..? Searching on google for companies in Santiago DR is like winning the lotto lol

Thanks in advance.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Some advice. If you wish to be taken seriously as a professional and by professionals, rethink your DR1 Handle "Jayshiznit". :ermm:

Reactions: FernieBee

Jayshiznit

Apr 5, 2007
Some advice. If you wish to be taken seriously as a professional and by professionals, rethink your DR1 Handle "Jayshiznit". :ermm:

Thanks for the insight, i'll keep that in mind. Look past the user ID. I mean, if some one's name is D**k, do you refuse to take him serious..? - I suppose not since that's his name; therefore, is it any different here..?

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Thanks for the insight, i'll keep that in mind. Look past the user ID. I mean, if some one's name is D**k, do you refuse to take him serious..? - I suppose not since that's his name; therefore, is it any different here..?

yeah, but is your name jayshiznit? i doubt it

DR1 is a very useful resource for the type of thing you are trying to do so I would isten to Toober.

It is all about networking and you would be shocked as to how much of it goes on here.

what type of IT do you specialize in? I may be able to put you in contact with someone.

thanks

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
try Aldaba - Empleo, Formaci?n y Vivienda

Other suggestion... if you're looking for a U.S. type salary use monster.com to look for u.s. companies looking for people to work offshore in DR. possibly consulting companies.

I'm not sure what going rate is now, but a head IT person in the free zones 4 or 5 years ago could make 35-60k pesos a month... about US$15-US$30,000 annually. IT support would make less. All do their best to hold onto their positions, so finding something open is likely quite a challenge.

Superior skills, good language skills, and willingness to work for local wages - you might find something.

Jayshiznit

Apr 5, 2007
80 to 100k a year in DR, rethink your ideas Jayshiznit.

I never specified that I expected to earn 80 to 100k USD in the DR. Hence the words "Brief history" - or Background. I'm currently titled Lead Dev and Exchange network support.

Again, thanks in advance for your insights.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'm sorry it took me so long to help this fellow. I was wiping away the tears from the laughter his first post caused... $80-$100K a year and he's thinking of coming here?

Just too cruel....Only politicians and crooked lawyers make that kind of money here. (of course they also make a lot more)

But an IT tech will not hit that plateau...

I'd say, take a deep breath, do some searching of jobs with: The US Government Agency for International Development (USAID) or maybe Citi...or Chevron-Texaco or maybe the Fanjul Group--the ones that own half of Florida and most of the eastern part of the DR....that is the only way you will get a salary near whatyou are making now..

Good luck, and thanks for the laugh!!

HB

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
try Aldaba - Empleo, Formaci?n y Vivienda

Other suggestion... if you're looking for a U.S. type salary use monster.com to look for u.s. companies looking for people to work offshore in DR. possibly consulting companies.

I'm not sure what going rate is now, but a head IT person in the free zones 4 or 5 years ago could make 35-60k pesos a month... about US$15-US$30,000 annually. IT support would make less. All do their best to hold onto their positions, so finding something open is likely quite a challenge.

Superior skills, good language skills, and willingness to work for local wages - you might find something.

and lets not forget a really cool screen name...

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
24 years old, making that kind of money? NY to SD is only 4 hours on a direct flight, commute, you can afford it...................

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
Like others have said, get a job in NYC that allows you to work remotely 100% and work from the DR. That's the only way to do it. I'm considering the same thing for the future, just not sure if I can adjust to living in the DR.

Good luck!