three prong plug in DR?

CanadianDana

Jan 6, 2009
I'm moving to Bavaro in march. I was wondering if I needed to buy an adapter for my three prong laptop plug in. I've been to Occidental grand flaminco and Corrticito inn, which both had three prong plugs available. When i rent a local apartment, will it probably have the same?Thanks

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
It?s possible that there are three prong outlets. If not you can buy them in the hardware stores. Either way it?s not likely that they?ll actually be grounded. Good luck if you want that.

Reactions: Rocky

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You might want to buy a surge strip and put it in your suitcase. You have a 3 prong plug and elect. protection. It's cheaper then blowing up you computer.

Reactions: wishingiwasthere

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
In reference to above 3 posts:

Cutting off the ground prong on a plug bears the same risk than plugging it into most 3 prong outlets installed in the DR... since most of them are NOT grounded. Either way, 3rd. prong cut off or stuck into an outlet which goes nowhere... you won't have ground.

Using a spike or surge protector power strip (even those sold in the US which carry insurance coverage for any damaged apparatus) will NOT help provide ANY protection as they only work IF they are plugged into a properly GROUNDED outlet (again, as above, NOT the case for most outlets in the DR... :( ).
Btw. IF you have properly grounded outlets at your location, these spike or surge protector power bars are available in the DR at some larger computer stores and PriceMart.

... J-D.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
There are a host of risks to taking your laptop to the DR, and electrical surges are on the list, sure, but not very high up there.

In terms of losing your laptop you are much more likely to lose it to thieves than to a power surge.

After that you can start worrying about moisture in the air, insects colonizing your motherboard, uneducated cleaning staff sloshing water around it, and finally yes power surges.

Most likely if you did have a surge it would only kill the power supply/adaptor which can be replaced for 20-100 dollars depending on the model and where you buy.

I have lived here for 9 years and at a given moment I own between 5 and 100 computers, laptops and desktops. We have never lost a whole computer to a power surge, (though I am sure it is possible) so far replacing an inexpensive power supply has solved all the power related problems we have faced both at home and at work.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
three prong plug

I'm very puzzled by this thread.
1. In this area Luz y Fuerza always put in a ground at the electric meter.
2. I had an electrician check my ground/earth at home
3. I had the electrician put in an extra ground/earth to the house circuits.
4. I had all sockets tested.
5. I got my own multimeter ( cheap,they are) and checked several sockets my self.
6. Any "permanent" fragile equipment is connected through a voltage regulator/smoother.

I don't have problems no more. Yes I used to have problems but all you have to is the above. To put in a good earth/ground is not expensive.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Electrical Problems

Most of the electrical problems come about by way of brown outs (local power loss). If your equipment has a battery backup (laptops have that) or is connected to a UPS (uninterupted power supply) other than your screen dimming momentarily you'll hardly notice anything. Most apartments that non Dominicans would chose to reside in have back up generators that kick in during a brown out.
Power surges that destroy equipment are few and far between but can happen. Indeed can happen in North America too. Power surge protector bars can be used to protect your equipment in that case.
Three prong plug outlets are very common and in most cases especially, again in hotels, villas or apartments that non Dominicans would chose to reside in will be grounded. A very simple, pocket sized and inexpesive plug tester can be purchased at any hardware store in North America to check if the ground is indeed connected, which quite often can be the case.