Circus skilled warehousemen in customs!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I recently used E.P.S to ship a large box from Miami to Higuey, When the large crate arrived a very important piece if equipment was missing, a $500 trapeze bar. I contacted the seller and he assures me it was in the box when delivered, I am not 100% convinced this is the case as the box weighed the same in Miami as it did when it arrived here, but he is insisting and i feel there isn't much i can really do.

Anyway, what i want to know is does it really matter which firm you use to ship items because when the said items are in aduanas anything can happen. I have had experiences in the past when small parcels have been sent to me from the u.k and the packet has been opened and things removed, but i buy huge amounts of things via the internet and have used E.P.S for over a year with no problems what so ever! When using such a service as E.P.S is it always in their care or when in aduanas is it at the mercy of lightfingered warehousemen?

I would like to purchase a third trapeze soon, but with each piece having a value of $500 and up i cant risk the same thing happening again. Can anyone recommend a company they have used many times without incident or maybe someone has had a similar experiece.

Like i said i am still in two minds if it was ever there in the first place, but cant prove it. As i cant imagine there are many employees in aduanas in need of a trapeze bar ;)

Laura

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Make sure the trapeze is the only thing in the box... they cant leave an empty box...

This is the exact reason I stopped using EPS... I once had a small usb device go missing using them... was only a few bucks so no big deal and another time I was given the go around over an adult sex toy that they didnt want to allow through... ended having to tell them to remove it from the shipment and allow the package. After that I never used EPS again.

Ive used Fedex ever since and although VERY expensive, nothing has ever turned up missing and most if not all packages come through without ever being opened unlike at EPS where ALL packages are opened before it even leaves the U.S.

Feb 7, 2007
For Higuey, EPS is pretty much the only company we can use. There are couple of companies in SD, but you would need to go pick things up there.

Anyhow, this does not solve the "package opening" issue as all forwarding companies open and check packages for prohibited items.

Can you pressure the vendor to replace the bar? Don't tell them anything about EPS opening up packages... just tell them it was NOT there.... anyhow...can you imagine EPS employee or aduana employee having use for the trapeze bar? hardly.... that is what matters, that they would have no use for it so it is highly unlikely it was removed there....

Another thing...check the US shipping label weight and the EPS label weight... if EPS label weight is less than US shipping label, you can claim with EPS (means "gone missing" in Miami where packages are open). If EPS label is more, means nothing, many times original shipping labels are printed with some "default" weight.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Can you pressure the vendor to replace the bar? Don't tell them anything about EPS opening up packages... just tell them it was NOT there.... anyhow...can you imagine EPS employee or aduana employee having use for the trapeze bar? hardly.... that is what matters, that they would have no use for it so it is highly unlikely it was removed there....
I fully expect to see it welded to a fruit cart, roadside lechoneria grill or moto...:cheeky:

Reactions: FernieBee

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
:cheeky:Sex toys and trapeze bars.. I bet they just love opening all of your packages just to see what you've ordered!! I would have not wanted to be the one to give you the call about not letting the toy in. I imagine there was a group of them standing around the phone.. ( Um, hello maam.. were sorry but this item....) Its just funny, not the stealing, but, oh nevermind.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
:cheeky:Sex toys and trapeze bars.. I bet they just love opening all of your packages just to see what you've ordered!! I would have not wanted to be the one to give you the call about not letting the toy in. I imagine there was a group of them standing around the phone.. ( Um, hello maam.. were sorry but this item....) Its just funny, not the stealing, but, oh nevermind.

I think you may have inadvertently combined NV's Sex Toy's with Laurajane's trapeze act somehow!

Perhaps there is an animation team somewhere that is utilizing both pieces of stolen equipment?

tambo'

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
Ya, I know there were 2 seperate orders, silly! I was just saying they must get a kick out of some of the stuff shipped in. You never know they could be stocking up for a movie making project haha.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com