who sells the best empanadas in the Sos?a area

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
good question!!! I was wondering the same thing too.

There is a guy with a cart right down the street from El Flow. He has some good ones. Pretty cheap too. There is also a bakery that a friend of mine got some from too. It is across from the police station. I had them too, but the cart guys were better. It is a yellow cart. They sit infront of a store on the the side of the street.

Cheers
Erin

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
For me the best are from the Sosua Beach guy - he comes around with freshly made ones every day between 1 - 1:30. He asks 100 pesos but you can get them for 50 and sometimes 3 for 100 pesos. Cheese, beef, chicken and they're all good.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I know this isn't Sosua... but empanadas are a favorite of mine.

In Cabarete within the last few weeks we have two new options:

1) A-Bailar Cafe across from the micro-golf has them on lunch & dinner menu at 50 pesos each. Beef, chicken, or vegetable. Two for 100 pesos with salad. They also have fried yuca balls (larger than a golf ball) with mozarella inside, 50 pesos also. All very good for a snack or lunch... or just an appetizer before dinner. Personally I'm partial to the beef empanadas & bolas de yuca.

2) There's been a cart at Scotia Bank for the last few weeks. Haven't tried them, will report when I do.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
El Choco used to make (maybe they still do) fried yucca patties - looked line potato pancakes and were delicious. Anyone know where else these are available?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
El Choco used to make (maybe they still do) fried yucca patties - looked line potato pancakes and were delicious. Anyone know where else these are available?

El Torro makes fried yucca latkes.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
they also make good shoe leather on occassion lol- any new traditional goulash houses opened up recently

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks Tambo - I'll check them out.

The guy's name at the beach is Moreno with the good empanadas!

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Ahhh El Torro’s fried yucca – one of the best! Im so hungry for that right now!!!

Prefer the beach for empanadas - love the Sunday party atmosphere the the "kitchen" by the XXX bar on Sosua beach sells the best ever - with picante!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
not awfully helpful old bean - as you dont say where you work or if the empanadas have any filling in them

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Since arriving here 6 years ago, I cannot say that I have had anything remotely close to those empanadas, most are a shell without filling (Much like the fact that there is no real pizza here. So sad when Pizza Hut serves the best pizza!). Please realize that I am a fanatic about pizza and really good empanadas.

So I am watching this thread with interest to find one that is similar. I fear that a great empenada is not to be found.

I hear ya! It would be nice to have a good pizza and empanada.

The best empanadas I have had here is in a restaurant beside Casa Nelson for 30-40 pesos each for a large one....but I have had much better in other countries.
Its hard to find good food here in restaurants IMO.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I know this isn't Sosua... but empanadas are a favorite of mine.

In Cabarete within the last few weeks we have two new options:

1) A-Bailar Cafe across from the micro-golf has them on lunch & dinner menu at 50 pesos each. Beef, chicken, or vegetable. Two for 100 pesos with salad. They also have fried yuca balls (larger than a golf ball) with mozarella inside, 50 pesos also. All very good for a snack or lunch... or just an appetizer before dinner. Personally I'm partial to the beef empanadas & bolas de yuca.

2) There's been a cart at Scotia Bank for the last few weeks. Haven't tried them, will report when I do.

Scratch #1 option from the list in Cabarete. They replaced the empanadas with a taco-type appetizer. Haven't tried it yet, but all else good.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The empanadas (and quipes) on the beach in Sosua should be no more than 20 pesos..Ive had them dozens of times...from Moreno and a few different people. You can also get great conch salad (lambi vinagrete) for 60 pesos. If you like oysters, they shouldn't be more than 10 pesos each...

The cart in front of The Shark bar is Empanadas Monumental...it's a "chain", as is the one at the Texaco/Splash Ice Cream/Farmacia on the highway (there is also one in front of Splash in BellaVista)...that one is a Fritufita. They are 35 pesos each, have about 5 or 6 varieties and are fried fresh. The beef ones are shredded (like ropa viaje), not ground beef...very good. This is also the same company that has a cart in front of scotia bank in Cabarete.