how much does it cost for a gun permit in D.R.?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
a new gun permit for a newly purchased pistol/revolver costs actually 6.345.- Pesos. that fee/tax has to be paid at a office of the Banco de Reservas. it includes the costs for
* Tax
* processing fee
* carnet fotografico(picture ID=gun permission)
* cost for psychiatric certificate
the above shown rate is for the 'tenecia' license, means to own that gun.
to get the permission to carry a gun on the street the additional license named 'porte' is needed, that one costs additional 805 Pesos.
the process is the following:
you go to a licensed gun dealer and purchase your firearm. that dealer send's the gun to the Ballistic section where they take the shoot prints. while this is in process you go to a Banco Reservas office(take the closest to your home, because your license will be handed over to you always at the banks office where you paid the fees/taxes) and pay that gun permission fee. fill in the form(available at that bank) very careful without any mistake, because the fee is not refundable, even when your request for the permission gets denied because of an error on the form(i.e. the gun's registration number filled in wrong aso), in such a case you would need to pay the full fee again.
then you go to a licensed psychiatric, to a licensed shooting range for test shots and to a authorized medic to get a doping test, all the results certificates you receive at those places you need to send by e-mail to the SEIP (secretary of Interior and Police). you have to check that the FF.AA. (armed forces where the ballistics are done) sent their results to the SEIP. 10-15 days after completion of the whole procedure you can pick up your gun permission at the office of Banco de Reservas where you paid the fees/taxes. with the gun permission you pass by the Ballistics office in santo domingo to receive your firearm there.

the website of the SEIP is on
http://www.seip.gov.do/

watch out that it is a completely different procedure when you purchase a used firearm from a private person, not from a licensed dealer. that's what i did myself a short while ago, here you have to pay the fee which is named "Traspaso de arma de fuego", i paid for that traspaso 11345.- pesos. here aside of proceeding the papers/certificates aso a important point is that the 'seller' and the 'buyer' of the gun both need to present themselves in santo domingo at the office of the secretary of interior and police. the seller to get the paper signed which re;leases him from any responsability of that gun, and the buyer to deposit that gun at the armory til he receives his permission.
check the details on the website.
renovations of gun permits are now simple, you pass by the next office of Banco de Reservas and pay the fee and within les than 2 weeks you can pick up the renewed license there.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
actually i would not know about any US brand 9mm under 3K$$$ here in the DR. firearms are very expensive compared to the US market.
never saw any of those imaginary smart guns, they are just mentioned in Pichardos postings, ha ha.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
MikeFisher, you are certainly correct. I was talking about an inexpensive "not made in USA" pistol that would be in the $300 range in the US and cost over $1,000 here.

Yep, I can see the DR being THE country that drives the smart gun technology. I will admit that Pichardo has some good information about many things that are happening or planned in the DR, but smart guns are a real stretch.. If the DR does talk a manufacturer into make a smart 9mm, revolver, shotgun and rifle, that manufacturer would then have a monopoly on selling weapons here. That would not be a good thing. Imagine the prices then!!

The police should be doing a better job of disarming the criminals and not putting more hurdles in front of the population who only want to protect themselves.

completely agree.
and smart guns make nothing secure or bring any protection, because it would only be the regular gun owners who anyways own and carry their guns leagally who would need to purchase smart guns, while the criminals like always anyways use not registered and not smart guns.
it is the same than on drugs, legalizing drugs to be sold at gubmin stores and taxed do not stop any crime done by the lowlifes who do not have the money to purchase their drugs. they can now not efford the drugs on the streets, so they go for burgleries aso to get the needed money. if drugs are leagally sold the same lowlifes still would not have the money to purchase the "legal" drugs, so they still would go on stealing and doing burgleries/robberies aso.
smart guns would only raise a lot the cost of a firearm legally purchased by a regular citizen, the bad guys would still buy their guns on the street and sure not register any like it is today, so no problem solved.
agree,
a i.e. latin distributed gun like the Bersas which costs in the US around 300 bucks runs here for a 1000.- at least, even more. it is the same math for all brands, you can multiplicate the price in the US of any brand/firearm by 3.5 and you know what it costs here on the Isle.
Mike