buying a car on the north coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim or Dana Murphy

Jan 26, 2008
I hear that there is a car dealer across from Playa Dorado in Puerto Plata who sells cars purchased from rental companies, . . does anyone have info about this place? Might it be better to go to Mocha where there is a better selection, . . ?
What to look out for when purchasing here? i'VE HEARD SOME HORROR STORIES!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I don't know the "dealer" you mention, but I can't recall anybody mentioning him lately.
One dealer in Moca however, has been mentioned quite a bit and mostly in positive terms.
You may also already be aware of the fact that rental cars HERE are not always in such a great shape as you would expect them to be in the States or Central Europe.

Take TIME, look around, check out, kick tires, keep your mind open and most of all, once you decide for a deal, do it BY THE BOOK, without letting yourself being talk into skipping any "annoying" steps and fees.

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you're not mechanically minded yourself it is worth paying a mechanic you trust a day's salary (or above) to go with you to give the vehicles a once over (or under) & to advise you on what is a reasonable purchase.

I don't know of a car dealer opposite Playa Dorada either.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Jim & Dana,
Feel free to pm me for info on our mechanic who will go with you. Also use carfax to verify VIN and make sure your are not buying a Katrina car or otherwise salvaged.
Abuela

Reactions: Rocky

tainojr

Jan 14, 2009
Be very, very careful when buying a car in the Dominican Republic.
Regardless of the location, it is a very shady business, to say the least.
If you can afford it, consider bringing in one from the states.
of course, you will have to contend with the import duties bit.
You may ship a car from New Jersey, New York, Jacksonville, Fla or Miami, Fla, for around $950-1200. But, if you decide to go that route, first establish contact with someone in the DR that will be able to do the paperwork to get the car out of Customs (cost around $300) and, most importantly, will be knowledgeable enough to give you a good idea as to how much the Customs duties will be. If you decide to get a car from a dealer, then travel to Santo Domingo and look around for a used car being sold by a new car dealer.

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
You may ship a car from New Jersey, New York, Jacksonville, Fla or Miami, Fla, for around $950-1200. But, if you decide to go that route, first establish contact with someone in the DR that will be able to do the paperwork to get the car out of Customs (cost around $300) and, most importantly, will be knowledgeable enough to give you a good idea as to how much the Customs duties will be. If you decide to get a car from a dealer, then travel to Santo Domingo and look around for a used car being sold by a new car dealer.
That is the worst car buying advice I have ever heard.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007

As a used car exporter with 10 years experience I`d dare say that it is the best all-round and honest advice. It works perfectly.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006

Wow. I hadn't heard that shipping a car (or anything else for that matter) is this easy or cheap.

I wonder why more people don't do it?:ermm:

I may be wrong, but doesn't a large portion of the cost of shipping a vehicle depend upon it's age and value?

Vince.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Wow. I hadn't heard that shipping a car (or anything else for that matter) is this easy or cheap.

I wonder why more people don't do it?:ermm:

I may be wrong, but doesn't a large portion of the cost of shipping a vehicle depend upon it's age and value?

Vince.

$1100-$1300 is the normal going rate.

Maybe even cheaper now.

For instance shipping to Kotka (Finland) thanx to recession went down from $1250 to $950 recently. Price war. We love to see it.

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
do not be fooled

I wonder why more people don't do it?

Vince.
And taxes. Mucho impuestos.

You're a smart man Vince. Does Robert import his cars? Does Rocky? Does Hillbilly? There are always noobs who think they found the Holy Grail of good deals and tell us all how easy and inexpensive it is. If that were true then why do the experienced long time ex-pats buy here?

Reactions: Tamborista

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
And taxes. Mucho impuestos.

You're a smart man Vince. Does Robert import his cars? Does Rocky? Does Hillbilly? There are always noobs who think they found the Holy Grail of good deals and tell us all how easy and inexpensive it is. If that were true then why do the experienced long time ex-pats buy here?

they have no dealer connections in the States to buy and ship for them.

connections and networks is everything.

without connections people buy in Moca.

those with connections buy in US and are happy.

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
another dreamer

they have no dealer connections in the States to buy and ship for them.
I laughed so hard I peed myself. We have seen noobs like you come and go and all think you have made amazing new discoveries with solutions and that everyone else is blind and stupid. You are part of the 90 % who will not survive the first three years and you will go home like a kicked puppy dog and blaming it all on our country. You are stuck with old communist USSR ideas and you can not let them go. Your only chance is to learn and adapt and stop talking and start listening. Learn from the elders and stop flapping those lips like the wings of a butterfly.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We have bought all of our vehicles here in DR for the last 16 years. Initially because we heard the horror stories (e.g. US$15,000 tax at Customs) and more recently because we were told when an expat mechanic who had really looked after his jeepeta was leaving the DR & needed cash.

Overall, I strenuously avoid putting myself in any position where I am open to getting the run around - just takes up too much time and is hassle. I don't have an 'in' to Customs although if I really needed one I know how I would work at it. But that's just it, too much 'work' and I prefer to spend my time doing the things I enjoy doing.

I'm somewhat amazed at the US$300 to get the car out of Customs. There was a US$15,000 one about 4 years ago (ok he was obnoxious & Customs made him pay for it :cheeky:). But let's ask people who have brought their cars in, how much they paid in taxes & then we'll get a broader picture.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Importing used cars from the US to the DR should be a good deal only for those people with mechanic skill who lives in the US and can wait for opportunities to buy salvage cars.

I?m seriously thinking about that?:cheeky:

JJ

Mar 2, 2008
"they have no dealer connections in the States to buy and ship for them."

Not true. I would gladly ship any car down to those guys, any time they wanted one, and without renumeration.

Instead, I'm asking Rocky to help find a car for me in the DR.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
No salvage.

Importing used cars from the US to the DR should be a good deal only for those people with mechanic skill who lives in the US and can wait for opportunities to buy salvage cars.

I?m seriously thinking about that?:cheeky:

JJ

No. Salvage was banned to DR five years ago.

The only reliable and safe way to buy in US - at professional wholesale auction network Manheim. Only licensed dealers can buy and sell there under strict quality and title regulations and control.

All other sources - ebay, private street sales, police auctions, public auctions, open bank auctions - lemons in hiding. Junk in other words.

Cuidado!

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
open your ears

The only reliable and safe way to buy in US - at professional wholesale auction network Manheim. Only licensed dealers can buy and sell there under strict quality and title regulations and control.
Amazing. Only licensed dealers. There can't be much more a couple of hundred thousand of those. Mainheim is good but you are doing the noob thing again, flapping your lips and not listening and not learning. The problem is not with the source it is with customs here. Many people have their own cars in US that they want to bring here but don't because of what Lambada has explained. Lambada is also one of the expat elders that you should listen to. Stop trying to show off and learn something or we will soon be waving goodbye to you at the airport.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I'm somewhat amazed at the US$300 to get the car out of Customs. There was a US$15,000 one about 4 years ago (ok he was obnoxious & Customs made him pay for it :cheeky:). But let's ask people who have brought their cars in, how much they paid in taxes & then we'll get a broader picture.

Not to worry. A person called "customs broker" will do all the legwork and paperwork for you. And will quote you all customs expenses for any particular vehicle even before you place an order to buy.

His services normaly cost $300-$500. Some people do not know routine and instead of a pleasurable experience get into headache.

Any car shipping company has a customs broker`s contact information.

Good luck!

Last edited:

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
Not to worry. A person called "customs broker" will do all the legwork and paperwork for you. And will quote you all customs expenses for any particular vehicle even before you place an order to buy.

His services normaly cost $300-$500. Some people do not know routine and instead of a pleasurable experience get into headache.

Any car shipping company has a customs broker`s contact information.

Good luck!
Thank you for showing us the error of our ways and the path to car buying salvation. It is so incredible that millions of people continue to buy cars here when you have the magic solution. When they hear how easy and inexpensive it is you are going to be a hero. Thank you thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.