What is normally called a high school graduate and a university graduate in SDQ?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Is a medium level (secondary studies) level in the DR normally what we would consider a bachelor degree university graduate here in the USA. I assume a high school graduate is called the same in the DR. I want to finish my masters degree at instituto technologico de Santo Domingo starting this August. I am a high school graduate here in the USA and I have a 4 year university graduate bachelors degree. I will get my high school transcript and university transcript legalized at the Dominican consulate here in the USA. And then get them translated from English to Spanish in Santo Domingo. Then I think SEECYT has to legalize all my paperwork.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A high schooler is called a bachiller (but, barely able to write his name, he is a far far cry from being anything close to a university level student, and nowhere near what we call a B.A. degree or Baccalaureate degree)

A college graduate can me any of many titles, from 'doctor' = lawyer; or licenciado= graduate in business, law, any science; to 'doctor'= medicine or dentist; or ingeniero=engineer.

People with advanced degrees do not generally change their titles...some, trying to impress people will put an M.A. on the end of their names...

Good luck in your studies..

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A high schooler is called a bachiller (but, barely able to write his name, he is a far far cry from being anything close to a university level student, and nowhere near what we call a B.A. degree or Baccalaureate degree)

..HB

With your 40 plus years in the DR and involvement in Education certainly your opinion would be more informed than mine but you always seem to equate Dominican high school students as semi-retarded. I know many teenagers in grade 9,10...etc that are articulate in two languages , proficient at reading and public speaking....etc. Many of these students go to public school. Certainly the school system is not the equal of most countries but not all Dominican kids are illiterate.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
A case of the pot calling the kettle black.....

...... but not all Dominican kids are illiterate.
Of course not, and I dont believe (at least from other posts I have read of his as) Hillybilly always equates DR highschool children as semi-retarded....just like not ALL "Jamaican men men are famous for leaving a trail of children behind them where ever they go" (quoting you from another thread).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Of course not, and I dont believe (at least from other posts I have read of his as) Hillybilly always equates DR highschool children as semi-retarded....just like not ALL "Jamaican men men are famous for leaving a trail of children behind them where ever they go" (quoting you from another thread).

That was in the clown bin and Jamaican men are famous for that. I've worked with many Jamaicans over the past 30 years. You being Jamican know I'm correct. The only reason I brought up the subject with Hillbilly is because it seems to be a common theme of his.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
That was in the clown bin and Jamaican men are famous for that. I've worked with many Jamaicans over the past 30 years. You being Jamican know I'm correct. The only reason I brought up the subject with Hillbilly is because it seems to be a common theme of his.

No it was NOT in the Clown bin section, it was in the Mars/Venus section.
Are you trying to say you were just joking?
You need to stop making assumptions and actually I know you are INCORRECT. Could care less how many Jamaicans you have worked with over the past 30 years...do you think that makes you an expert? I can introduce you to over 100 well travelled Jamaican men who dont fit your 'stereotype', blood relatives and friends. Stereotypes or what you call 'famous for' (like the DR is famous for its female prostitution and other negative stereotypes) are just that... stereotypes, and those that are closed minded and ignorant believe them.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No it was NOT in the Clown bin section, it was in the Mars/Venus section.
Are you trying to say you were just joking?
You need to stop making assumptions and actually I know you are INCORRECT. Could care less how many Jamaicans you have worked with over the past 30 years...do you think that makes you an expert? I can introduce you to over 100 well travelled Jamaican men who dont fit your 'stereotype', blood relatives and friends. Stereotypes or what you call 'famous for' (like the DR is famous for its female prostitution and other negative stereotypes) are just that... stereotypes, and those that are closed minded and ignorant believe them.

You mean like your statment The DOMINICAN REPULIC IS FAMOUS FOR ITS SEX INDUSTRY-
Petites thread was in the clown bin until post #9. Take a chill pill.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The more prestigious and respected professions have their names as a title.

For example, if you graduated from the university (after 4 or 5 years, no postgraduate level) with a major in accounting, you will be referred to as licenciado.

However, a degree in law (ie. derecho) gives you the title abogado, in economics results in economista, engineering equals ingeniero, etc.

In such prestigious professions, its always more appropriate for their title to be the name of their profession as oppose to simply licenciado.

The least prestigious professions, licenciado will do.

Anyone with a postgraduate degree will either be referred to as doctor or by their profession.

In the Dominican Republic, titles are extremely important. Not only does a title intimidates most Dominicans, literally; it also entitles you to special privileges in more than a few situations.

-NALs

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Please be careful as all Dominicans with "Titles" and business cards are not actually educated formally in the field. Some have learned by "On the job" training and just assume that they can place the title before their name.
SHALENA

Mar 2, 2008
"No it was NOT in the Clown bin section, it was in the Mars/Venus section."

Thandie, I was following that thread, and it changed from one thread to another at some point. When Bob Saunders posted his comment, it was in the clown bin.

I am not saying I agree or disagree with his remarks, or that he was just joking or not, only that he posted them when the thread was in 'the clown bin'.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
You mean like your statment The DOMINICAN REPULIC IS FAMOUS FOR ITS SEX INDUSTRY-
Petites thread was in the clown bin until post #9. Take a chill pill.

Go back and reread my posts and what I referred to as incorrect negative stereotypes. You obviously need a lesson in reading comprehension....

Because if after reading many of Hillbillys posts you think he ?always seem to equate Dominican high school students as semi-retarded?....where you came up with this theory about what him, who knows. After reading countless posts of his I would never make such an rude assumption and I am sure many other posters would agree.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Go back and reread my posts and what I referred to as incorrect negative stereotypes. You obviously need a lesson in reading comprehension....

Because if after reading many of Hillbillys posts you think he ?always seem to equate Dominican high school students as semi-retarded?....where you came up with this theory about what him, who knows. After reading countless posts of his I would never make such an rude assumption and I am sure many other posters would agree.

Not worth a reply.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Almost all of Hillbilly's posts are very helpful and considerate I 'm certainly not in disagreement with that, however he has more than once made negative comments on the abilities of high school students entering University. As a professor that is in daily contact with these underachieving students perhaps he is frustrated, however:
Hillbilly's words: "A high schooler is called a bachiller (but, barely able to write his name,"...etc. Does that still sound like I'm making an assumption? You obviously need to be in the same room taking the same comprehension lessons with me.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

For example, if you graduated from the university (after 4 or 5 years, no postgraduate level) with a major in accounting, you will be referred to as licenciado.

However, a degree in law (ie. derecho) gives you the title abogado, in economics results in economista, engineering equals ingeniero, etc.

In such prestigious professions, its always more appropriate for their title to be the name of their profession as oppose to simply licenciado.

The least prestigious professions, licenciado will do.

Anyone with a postgraduate degree will either be referred to as doctor or by their profession.

In the Dominican Republic, titles are extremely important. Not only does a title intimidates most Dominicans, literally; it also entitles you to special privileges in more than a few situations.

-NALs
You have to be a member of the colegio de abogados to be called abogado. The title abogado has nothing to do with an university degree. Of course you must have a degree in derecho first.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Allow me to correct a couple of things:
1) I tried to move that thread over the Men are from Mars thread, but somehow it got put in the Clown Bin (poetic justice? Perhaps, considering its content) But no matter, it is now in the Men are from Mars section. For that mixup, I do apologize.

2) I do not say they are semi-retards. I say that they are barely educated. they cannot read and they cannot write. During more than three decades ( yes decades) we used to pass out slips that asked a few questions and asked for some information, like Name, address, phone number, home address if you were boarding in Santiago, etc.

Some of those slips were priceless...really. I used to make book with the kids that first day. I said I would give the pot $5 for every perfectly written slip, if they would, as a class, pay me 50? for each mistake, either grammatical or written....

Some days they ended up owing the pot over $150!! None of which was ever collected but did serve to wake them up.

Our university is now embarked on a program, internally, that is called "university literacy", which is to say, we are attempting to teach the kids how to really read and understand what they are reading, not just the words, but the real meaning, the meaning between the lines and behind the words...So far we think we may be making progress...I do not know, it is too early to tell...

How important is this? Well most kids that fail physics and calculus fail because they can't read the problems right. there are a gazillion other examples at the university level...

I, too, know kids that are bi-lingual, but speak both poorly and write both horribly.

Take care and be well....

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

2) I do not say they are semi-retards. I say that they are barely educated. they cannot read and they cannot write. During more than three decades ( yes decades) we used to pass out slips that asked a few questions and asked for some information, like Name, address, phone number, home address if you were boarding in Santiago, etc.

How important is this? Well most kids that fail physics and calculus fail because they can't read the problems right. there are a gazillion other examples at the university level...

I, too, know kids that are bi-lingual, but speak both poorly and write both horribly.

Take care and be well....

HB
My mistake you never said semi-retarded, you said they couldn't read or write after 12 years of school.
Would you say that this low level of language proficiency is caused by the poor teaching ability of teachers or by the method( teaching by rote)? I say it's a combination. Yris has some teachers that have difficulty in preparing a proper exam, but then she has others that are quite competent. In her school you can't pass grade one unless you can read. She had lots of reading and math contests that seem to work well in motivating the children, as well as encouraging the parents. They love to have their children winning prizes and getting their pictures taken. Children that are not making the grade are given extra lessons.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007

So how a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration be called in the DR? Administrador sounds a bit degrading.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rubio: Administrador de empresas. He is a Licenciado en administracion de empresas.

Thing about our "Licenciado" degrees (PUCMM-Santiago) is that the students get far more than the 120 credits normally given for the BA degree in the US. Same for engineers..

John: You have identified the problem for the most part: the blind or seeing-impaired leading the blind...

Most schools (98%) are a joke as far as academic pressures are concerned. Flunk? Oh that would damage Johnny's (Jenny's) self esteem!! Yeah, like the neighbor of mine whose mentally challenged boy was passed through 12 years of de la Salle so as not to offend socially prominent and fine-last-name family and hurt the poor fellow (who should have been institutionalized in the first place!!) And then she bitched because the university would not accept him! (Okay, this is an exception)

Generally speaking it is not the kid's fault, they do not lack for brains. they lack training, they lack discipline and they lack, in spite of the internet, intellectual curiosity. They can quote the lyrics to 50 raeggeton songs but do not know beans about the world today or their own history...

I think I might make this a semi-blog and tell you about this up-coming semester...It starts tomorrow for me...

HB

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Most schools (98%) are a joke as far as academic pressures are concerned. Flunk? ...........

Generally speaking it is not the kid's fault, they do not lack for brains. they lack training, they lack discipline and they lack, in spite of the internet, intellectual curiosity. They can quote the lyrics to 50 raeggeton songs but do not know beans about the world today or their own history...

I think I might make this a semi-blog and tell you about this up-coming semester...It starts tomorrow for me...

HB

From my personal experience and other friends who have volunteered in the DR I agree that the problem is lack of training, academic pressure, discipline and intellectual curiosity. I understand your frustration, at seeing the large amounts of students entering university who should not be there...period! Who wouldnt be when the majority of kids cant fill out a simple form?

I know 2 Americans who have started elementary schools here and they too are frustrated, just trying to get the parents to understand that even when its raining they need to send their kids to school.
I told one parent that when I was a young child back in Canada I would walk to school in a foot of snow (sure I would have loved to stay home but my mother understanding the importance of education would never have allowed that) so a little rain will not hurt your child. She was shocked my mother would send me to school in 'bad weather'.

Trust me Hillbilly I understand your frustration. Looking forward to reading your blog.

Feb 7, 2007
Me too, HB. Would certainly make for an interesting reading.

I have seen a school system in the DR and it's a very far cry from educational system in Europe and North America. ...have been wondering myself how come there are so many university students in the DR and HOW do they study, when I can read and write better in Spanish than large portion of them...