Costambar

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
so been looking at all the homes for sale and i see some stuff in costambar what are peoples thoughts about costambar
is it a good place to buy does it have 24 hour power(or power most days) water internet
thanks for any info from you all on the DR1 forum
;)

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I think there is a lot more beside 24 hour electricity, dependable internet and water that Costambar does not have.
When I was there it was about 4 hours of electricity instead of 24 and had to get water delivered in every few days also.
I have spent a month there and it was the biggest waste of my time and $$.
I think someone said here on DR1 that it's kind of a waste land and I share that opinion with him/her.
In the other hand there are people who lives there and happy. POP area is not for me.

TheHun

Reactions: Rocky

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
You may want to do a little search on the Real Estate section of this Forum. CostAmbar has been discussed there at length quite recently. Since, I don't think that much would have changed. Some loved it, some even make a living there, others have lost money there, gotten to dislike it and again others would not touch it.
From a distance (browsing properties online) CostAmbar certainly has a couple of attractives, like the offering of homes at quite often a quite attractive price when compared to similar structures along the Central North Coast and it's closeness to a beach and apparence of a gated comunity. On the other hand, there are those which see issues with the infreastructure qualities, planning and problems of the development and raise questions about it chances to resolve them.
It again all boils down to the fact that one HAS to see and experience things ONSITE and PERSONALLY for a good while BEFORE committing any monies. The word is, RENT at least 6 months before buying anything... which of course may not be an option for those who are just looking for an off shore vacation "investment".

... J-D.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let me put this another way
Coast Ambar is located DOWNWIND of one of the scruffiest, smelliest barrios of Puerto Plata and (AND) from a 180 megawatt power station anchored on lee shore of the bay.

It is removed from the highly inefficient POP water system. It is isolated.

It does have a beautiful beach, a neighborhood atmosphere, privacy.

Like many places electricity is iffy at best. I cannot address internet issues, you'll have to hear from them.

HB

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
As long as the polluted sea water is not important to you, you can find very nice affordable homes and condos in Costambar. It is generally a quiet place and not too far from downtown Puerto Plata for shopping.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Friends

Having friends of long term duration in the area and ardent supporters of their neighborhood, I still think they are swimming upstream.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
I've been offline for 10 days because a Codetel "technician" cut off my phone while repairing my neighbours' so haven't had a chance to add my 2 penneth worth....

We've been in Costambar for 18 months now & haven't regretted it one bit. The infrastructure problems endemic to this country also apply in Costambar, but the power & water problems can be overcome by the application of between US$5,000 to US$10,000 for a well & back-up power.

We have found the community to be safe & secure & I regularly walk home at night during powercuts & have had no problems whatsoever. Then again I consider myself "streetwise" & given the choice & being able to get the key in the ignition I prefer to drive lol.

Yes the planta is a problem, but driving thru Puerto Plata at busy times the air is often blue with moto exhausts ....

As regards the quality of the water in the sea, it is my understanding that the Dominican way is to discharge effluent into the sea nationwide & if you want to swim get a property with a pool.

What makes Costambar unique is its diversity, facilities & what I call the "Dodge City" quality. It's a place which has a certain lawless vibe which gives it character.

It ain't perfect, but we call it Home.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
i too now call it home, I have been visiting for 6 years and living now for 4 months. And yes the problems with water and power are very easily dealt with. We have power in our home 24 hours a day and always have water. we put in a pool and still enjoy the ocean on those gorgeous beach days. I would far prefer the quiet small community that a busy place such as sosua or cabarete.

We are happy here and have no regrets whatsoever.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Same her, we live in Costambar since 1988, no regret, great and quiete place to live and as you said, enjoying these lovely beach days. Where i live there is no problem at all with the water, a small inverter solves the electricity problem. There is everything we need to live a comfortably and easy life.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
ok so i think costambar is out for me
thanks all for all the info

I am glad to see you eventually got some positive comments too. And that exactly furthers my point previously made:

... Some loved it, some even make a living there, others have lost money there, gotten to dislike it and again others would not touch it.
&
... It again all boils down to the fact that one HAS to see and experience things ONSITE and PERSONALLY for a good while BEFORE committing any monies. The word is, RENT at least 6 months before buying anything... which of course may not be an option for those who are just looking for an off shore vacation "investment".

You can't for the same reasons just give up on a region, city, neighborhood or development, merely based on a few negative comments.
Additionally, let me tell you, that probably most if not all developments and neighborhoods have some obvious deficiencies... so, if you think DR real estate is for you, don't let yourself being put off automatically just because this or that is not perfect, but instead, try to find a location where the balance of good and not so good is about right for YOU.

Good luck! ... J-D.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Wise words J-D!

My parents-in-law visited at the beginning of last year on a 2 week package & said they could never live in Costambar. However after just spending 3 months actually living here & getting involved in the community they are now considering moving here ........ possibly lol

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
We spent a day in Costambar while looking for an apartment 1.5 years ago. It's an intriguing place, but the best fit we found for our needs seemed significantly overpriced.

We are happy with our decision to buy at Las Canas on La Mulata road in Sosua....for us, it suited our needs at a better price.

As J.D. pointed out, the discussion is meaningful only in terms of what you find important to your lifestyle. Look as much as you can, try that which seems to have potential, and decide once the experience proves itself. Good Luck!

francoisatl

Feb 13, 2007
Costambar not so much
well i was in pop for 2 weeks just got home july 4th went to Costambar twice 2 look at homes and the thing that got me was why do they have the guy at the gate he is really a wast and the roads omg it was like a work out driving on them or driving on the moon i did like a couple of home but the roads are what did it for me i would not like that every day
i did find a couple of homes down the street from TASTE (food was good at taste) in the big complex across the street from taste and 3 in tori alta but tori alta has some crazy roads 2 in the back
but i will be back in 3 weeks to check things out more
but as of now NO on Costambar