Jobs: Cabarete/Sosua

PequenaTortuga

Feb 19, 2007
Hello!
I will be relocating to the island in a few weeks. I've already lived in the Dominican previously, but, was young.
Now, as I move back, I will need a job. I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice?
I know the opportunities in that area are slim... but, I'm willing to take the pay cut, and make some compromises in order to live on the island.
My skills are broad, I'm a certified Kodak Photo Technician, was trained as a Pharmacy Technician (although not certified), and also currently work as a secretary in a nursing home.
I have a strong background in art, and have participated in shows for the past 8 years. I have the capacity, and experience to teach art to elementary aged students, but again, am not certified. My qualifications are based on experience alone. Because of my background in art, I've also had the opportunity to plan and execute events (gallery showings, and music concerts).
Soooooo, like I said, I'm pretty marketable.

Any suggestions of places to go and people to speak with about jobs upon my arrival on the island would be So Very Helpful.

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Hi! Pequena Tortuga!

I have to agree with windeguy...And about the International School in Sosua, I have checked it out already and if you're not certified you can't teach (I'm a teacher by the way). Unless things have changed teaching would not work out for you.

Our best bet as foreigners are the hotels/airport (agent for a foreign traveling agency), as far as I know.

Hope I helped

Godd luck!

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
Yep, don't expect to beable to walk into something/anything just because you will take a pay cut. The teaching will not work out on experience alone, you may even struggle with a TEFL certificate. You will struggle to get barwork even, paying Dominicans, or regulars $100 p/m +tips seems to leave little room for us unable to survive on that. I've seen alot of people hold out for something until nothing is left to live on and return home with nothing, so my advive would be to invest whatever you can in starting your own business before it just runs out.
You may have all the money in the world, or an income from home and then all this is irrelevant.
Good luck

PequenaTortuga

Feb 19, 2007
Windeguy: TEFL is something I've been looking into.
I'm not burning bridges/cutting with my current jobs by coming to the Dominican for an indefinite amount of time, but they sure are on edge to see what happens while I'm there. I don't expect to magically find something automatically, and am totally open to taking my time, going with the flow, and seeing what happens, or what opportunities might, by chance arise.
...the last time I was in the Dominican, it took me two months to find a job, and got paid $7000 pesos a month. So, I'm not about the money, it's just a nice added perk if a job pays well. As long as I enjoy what I'm doing, and can find a way to survive off of what I'm paid... I'm fine.
Hmm.

Now, another question to who might stumble on this thread again... how big is the surf gear market? (are there a lot of people buying boards: kite, and regular, etc?)