La Romana Airport, DR

D

Daniel

We are going to the Dominicus Palace Hotel in February 2001 and our travel agency told us that our plane would land at La Romana Airport, near Bayahibe. Is the construction of this airport on schedule and do you know if it will be ready for February 2001?

D

DR1

This airport is scheduled for a December opening. The constructors are way ahead of their building schedule so I would say that yes, it will be ready for February 2001. We will surely publish an update on this as the opening date comes closer. Also note that while the new airport is about 15 minutes from your hotel, the older one it will replace is but half an hour's drive away.

S

Sarah

Well, here's what I want to know then...

...why isn't the Maria Montez Airport (Barahona) scheduled to open any time soon, when it's been ready to go for ages???

D

Dee DeMusis

Re: Well, here's what I want to know then...

Sarah--

It's probably the old thing about money talking. Alfie and Pepe Fanjul's jewels [Central Romana Corporation and the Casa de Campo resort] are located at La Romana; lots of celebs, etc. go there. If there were some high powered kajillionnaire out Barahona way, maybe Maria Montez would have been up and running long ago. It doesn't make it right, just observable fact. SIGH.

Personally, I don't understand all the hullaballou about POP. Been there, seen that, NOT impressed. Yes, I DO have a bias for the south[Caribbean] coast.

Just my trespesos worth.

Dee

S

Sarah

Re: Well, here's what I want to know then...

Sad but good points. I also am quite attached to the southwest. In 15 trips I've not even taken the time to see the rest of the country. If folks only realized what they're missing...beautiful beaches & people wise...ug, but then the southwest would be inundated with tourists...yikes! But then Maria Montez might open! The old Catch 22.