Buying Cuban Pesos

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A question for those with information about visiting Cuba.

How do Americans who visit Cuba pay their expenses and get cash for daily use? Reportedly American issued debit and credit cards aren't accepted by ATMs and may not be accepted by hotels or restaurants. But an American wouldn't want the use of a credit card in Cuba on the record anyway.

US dollars can be exchanged, but there is a 10% penalty, which is pretty steep.

Canadian dollars apparently are accepted everywhere and may be worth more than the discounted US dollar.

Can Canadian dollars be purchased in the DR? If so, does anybody know what the price to buy is? (Not what you get if you exchange CAD for pesos, but what you pay if buying CAD in the Dominican Republic.)

What about exchanging Dominican pesos in Cuba? The conversion websites quote an exchange rate, but I am wondering if it can be done in practice and if the rate is what the conversion websites say it is. What I am really asking is if it is better to exchange dollars for pesos in the DR and the pesos for cuban pesos in Cuba, rather than exchange dollars for pesos in Cuba even though there is a 10% penalty?

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Cuban Pesos

When my husband I went to Cuba years ago, we left from Cancun. So, we changed our Mexican Pesos to American Dollars in Cancun before we left. The Hotel we stayed at had a safe, so no problem there. Best to plan ahead and change to Dollars before you go. Good luck and have fun. Cuba is awesome!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, MizCreant. I have dollars but was trying to avoid the 10% penalty levied on dollars when they are exchanged in Cuba for pesos. Am wondering if there is a way to avoid that, ending up with more purchasing power than if I change dollars in Cuba.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
i would take euros myself which are much easier to buy here.

you can buy at most banks today for about 48 or if you have some contacts with a cambio house you can probably buy for 47.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, Mu?ecote, good suggestion. I have read that the Cubans like Euros.

jrzyguy, they may like dollars, but they charge a 10% if you use them.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Only USD carries the 10% levy

All other currencies than the USD can be exchanged into peso without the 10% levy that is charged on USD. Eg. you can bring Canadian dollars, Mexican Peso, Euro, GB pound, any of the Scandinavian currencies etc. and receive the official exchange rate. No black market 'parallel' rate exists, so don't worry about any preference currency.

Cuba is awesome - you'll surely enjoy the music and culture, not the least the landscape.

Mar 2, 2008
Cuba recently (during the past two to three years) shifted their monetary preference from dollars to euros, for many reason, primarily for very practical reasons, and only secondarily, or incidentally, as a political statement.

One reason was that euros were in greater supply than dollars. Also, the Cuban government was hedging on the fall of the dollar against the euro, which, in fact, happened during that period of time. Certainly, the euro was being utilized much more in the trading of goods and services.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Ok, now for some accurate information:

Euros are not widely used in Cuba.
Prior to 2004, the US dollar was circulated freely in Cuba. Then, the government said that all transactions that were previously done in dollars will now be done in Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC) an artificial currency that has no value outside of Cuba. The value of the CUC was (and still is) fixed by the government at the equivalent to US$1.08. All foreign currencies are convertible to CUC's in Cuba according to this rate. (whatever the value of US $1.08 is in the foreign currency you are bringing into Cuba, that is the value of the CUC) As the value of the USD fluctuates, so does the value of the CUC US dollars (just like all foreign currencies) must be exchanged into CUC's before being used in commercial transactions in Cuba, but in the case of USD, a 10% tax is imposed off the top before the exchange takes place. Anericans take primarily Canadian Dollars or Euro in order to avoid this tax. But all foreign currency, whether USD, CAD, EUR, GBP, etc. has to be exchanged into CUC in order to be used.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Take Canadian Dollar, you got good exchange rate I believe Scotiabank
or any place in a Tourist area. If you want use the singles U$1.00 for tipping. I used both US and Canadian dollar and both were
below their CUC. Be aware Do not get Cuban pesos!! its really Confuse

Stick with CUC, USD or Canadian Dollar.

Cuba have two currencies:
1- National Peso
2- CUC

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks to all who have written since my last post. The information is very helpful.

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
i also think the 10% was to penalize/take a cut of remitances made from cuban americans sending greenbacks home to their families.

just take canadian dollars and you will do fine. havana is incredible. been there twice and love it.