Hypodermic needles in Punta Cana

R

Regina

My sister just came back last friday from staying at the LTI Sol De Plata in Punta Cana. She is an early riser and would go down to the waterfront every sunrise,& she actually witnessed an employee of the janatorial staff pick up a hypodermic needle out of the sand close by the waters edge. She said that to either side of the resort, where there was nothing but beach(no resorts), garbage lined the waters edge, as if dumping occurred offshore in the area. I was shocked, as Im staying in Punta Cana come January(Paradisus), and the last thing I want to do is step on an infectuous needle hiding in the sand. We both live in New Jersey, and know what thats all about, no bull here. I know its not the resorts fault, she claims that the resort was very nice, the buffett food good, and the grounds nicely maintained and it was a great trip all around. I just thought that it is important that people visiting in that area should be aware of the danger. I am not trying to stir up any kind of panic, but I thought something this serious should be addressed, Im sure the last thing anybody would want on vacation is to end up in a negative situation.

S

Sarah

I agree that this is a serious concern, but could this not happen on ANY beach ANYWHERE?

D

Doug

this could happen anywhere if you dont want to start a comotion than dont.

D

Dave

The only reason a needle would be in the sand at Punta Cana is because some lazy tourist decided that it was a good place to make a discard. You can't even begin to compare the beach conditions in Punta Cana with New York/Jersey.

Best, Dave

T

Tom F.

Oceans as dumping grounds

If we only knew what was dumped in the oceans everyday, most of use would be in an uproar. This could happen anywhere in the world and I remember reports of needles being found on NY and NJ beaches a few years back.

D

Diane

Re: Oceans as dumping grounds

Tom is right, with all these illegal commercial dumping, it makes it really awful and dangerous for the land and the sea.
I've seen Hypodermic needles and feces on the beach in Fort Lauderdale and Flagler Beach. When you walk on the beach just be very careful!

K

Keith R

Re: Not So! *PIC*

Dave,

With all due respect, you're wrong. Needles and all sorts of trash routinely get dumped from ocean vessels, including cruise liners, and wash up on beaches around the world. This has been documented countless times by everyone from UN agencies to Greenpeace. In fact, there is an international treaty on the issue [Technical Annex V of the Marine Pollution Convention (MARPOL)] which the DR only became a party to this year. For more on this issue, visit the website of the International Maritime Organization, the UN agency which oversees MARPOL. Also good is the EPA site: http://www.epa.gov/OWOW/OCPD/Marine/contents.html

Regards,
Keith

R

Regina

Yes, I suppose it could happen anywhere, It happened here in my own homestate a few years back(allot worse too). It could be pretty serious, especially if that needle contained any type of DEADLY virus.I'm glad to be forewarned. I never would have been aware of the threat otherwise, what individual is out looking for needles in the sand while walking along a beautiful beach? Its very possible it could have been an isolated incident. Look, Im not trying to criticize the DR in any way what-so-ever, I am going there myself very soon... Better to be aware of the potential situation than be a victim,, and if it hadnt been my own sister who saw this, I never would have thought of it otherwise- I debated even saying mentioning it at all..I guess I just care about other peoples well being. Lets be mature about this.

S

Sarah

The mature thing is to realize that this can and does happen world wide, and not to single out our beloved Dominican Republic. In a post a week or so ago it was suggested that sturdy sandals or canvas tennis shoes be worn at the beach. That is also a mature thing to do, on any beach.

R

Regina

Sarah, are you an educated person? Can you read and absorb the whole story, or do you just pick out and misconstrue for negativity reasons. I didnt mean to get your dander up, nor anyone elses.(You must own property in the DR or something). I was simply stating a precaution....and this website is about seeking information not about seeking confrontations. YOU ARE RIGHT SARA, IT COULD HAPPEN ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, but it just so happens I'm going to the DR and not anywhere else in the world for vacation so thats why its of serious concern to me, and maybe, just maybe, of others who may be going there to vacation as well. ok...so do you feel better now. I dont have time to read every post on the site, but I'll take wearing canvas shoes into consideration. Thanks for the advice, I hope you enjoy your vacation.. Ta-ta

S

Sarah

Oh right Regina, I feel so much better now that I know you believe me to be an "uneducated person who just picks out and misconstrues for negativity reasons". And just an FYI - I do own property in the DR, and have lived near Barahona, and now spend 4 weeks or more a year there for vacation and business, but what does that have to do with this particular subject? I think you took an alarmist approach to your reaction to a needle on a beach. Just my opinion.

T

tony

Gee Regina!!! and I thought it was just me.
They are called BOARD POLICE, and don't forget it......

HA HA

T

tgf

Re: Trying to "Needle" someone Tony P?

If being against the posting of your bigoted remarks made me a member of the board police in your book, so be it. Tony P., you made a nasty post which contained a racial slur which was deleted and several of us called you on it. You still haven't gotten over that have you? You couldn't bring yourself to admit what you wrote was wrong, either. Gee, now you continue with your "board police" mentality stuff. Grow up! For a 50ish something "man," you're acting quite immature and oafish.

P.S. You have every right to write what you want on this board as long as it follows the guidelines. AND, I and others have every right to respond as long as we follow the guidelines. DR1 has the right to intercede at their discretion since it is their board. So, there is limited "free speech" on this board. If you don't like what I just wrote, give me your best shot. You can try being a member of your own group of "board police."

L

Linda

I've been to Paridisus, Punta Cana twice and it was very clean.
There was a good looking guy on staff there named Nixon. We spent so much time looking into each other's eyes I would not have known if there was a hypo on my blanket.

T

tony

That wasn't a hypo on your blanket Linda.
Sorry couldn't resist,obviously you had a great time!!!!