Boca Chica vs. Las Terrenas

jcf

Dec 18, 2008
After 10 years of exploring Thailand and PI, I'm taking my first trip to the DR next month. I've got 2 weeks to check out the girls, walk around and explore the area, and enjoy the sun, beach and warmth. I'm not much of a partier, but I enjoy the female attention and socializing with local expats.

Flying into POP, I've already booked a week in Sosua - no questions on that. My frustration is deciding on whether to spend my second week in Las Terrenas, with a single night in Boca Chica before my nearby return flight. Or, just spend the whole 8 nights in Boca Chica.

A part of me wants to see the Samana peninsula for its gorgeous scenery and Las Terrenas expat living options. But, getting there from Sosusa by gua gua isn't particularly simple or convenient. I'm not impressed with the limited hotel options, high prices, cruddy reservation policies, and expected tourist crowds either.

I've read much on Boca Chica, so I expect the good and bad. But, for a first time visit to the DR, I wonder if it might not be worth my time and exploration. It'd make my trip more simple and easy - skipping the LT detour.

Anyone's thoughts? First trip to the DR for 2 weeks, and not liking to pack and move any more than necessary. Would you do the 3 places, or skip the Las Terrenas plan for now and just explore Sosua and Boca Chica?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
First, I love Las Terranas. In my opinion some of the nicest beaches the DR has to offer are there or within a 15 minute motorconcho ride. However, there are a lot of tourists at this time of the year [it is the season for whales], and there is a lot of new construction both completed and in progress. The traffic is awful. I have not found much of nightlife in LT either, and unless you take someone with you, it can be a little boring [that is unless you are a real beach bum like me].

There are a good number of DR1 regular posters who are big fans of Boca Chica, but I'm not really one of them. The beach is full of vendors and, again, at this time of the year, you'll encounter a number of tourists. However, the girls are in BC and you are close enough to the capitol to take the local guagua or taxi into SD to enjoy the great nightlife that is there. Since you will already have been at the really nice beach in Sosua for a week, I suggest BC and skip LT for another visit.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
another suggestion might be to take the bus from sosua to santo domingo. rest up in your hotel room and enjoy the city for a day or so. THEN head out b.c. on gua gua.

8 days in BC is kinda long (even for someone who likes it there). I enjoy the beach scene and the vendors leave you alone after a few passes by. Just ignore them. if they persist just say no no NO!

Sounds like the OP is going for the chicas tho or else he wouldnt be torn between LT and BC ;-)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
8 days in BC ? yikes !! i would opt to stay in sosua, caberete and visit rio san juan and the other beach towns along the north coast. you could also take a tour (whale watching) to Samana or caribe tours out to LT/Samana...

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I'm with you guys. 8 nights in BC is way too much. Are you departing POP or SDQ?

jcf

Dec 18, 2008
Thanks for the response guys, though I'm still undecided it seems. Gotta make a decision here soon though, before my LT hotel option closes.

Yes, I'm flying into POP and flying out of SDQ. Thus, a Sosua and Boca Chica visit are logical. The non-beach big city of SD doesn't interest me much.

This first trip to the country, I was trying to get a good assessment of the girls, scenery, and beach town expat living options - without travelling and rushing around any more than necessary. If I visit LT, I'd go and see the whales and waterfall, but its not a priority for me as a single. If I don't make it to LT this trip, I can see it as a better option in the future - from SD with a girl, and perhaps outside of the crowded whale season.

LT and the entire Samana peninsula is obviously a pretty place worth visiting. I just don't like the hassles I'm finding in getting and staying there from Sosua. Really, the hotel options, prices, and reservation policies have been good for Sosua and BC, and frustratingly bad for LT. And, the bus systems to and from SD are good, but between Sosua and LT are cruddy.

Thus, the quandry on whether to keep my first trip simple and easier by just visiting the two places, or make it more complex (but interesting and informative) with the LT detour. I appreciate all your comments, and especially hear the assessment that 8 nights is too much for BC.

It sounds like, if I'm willing to accept the inconveniences of travelling 2 days instead of one on this vacation in order to explore LT and the Samana area, I might be best suited doing 5 nights in LT and 3 nights in BC?

Final thoughts welcome before I commit tommorrow.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Well..It think bus the bus ride is a lot easier for sosua/POP to SD and then a guagua to boca chica.

DO us all a favor...when you get back tell us what you think about Sosua Vs. Boca Chica. Many people have their favorite places for different reasons. We expect a full (well semi-full) trip report!

I could tell you of some quieter places and cool clubs to go to (around B.C. not IN B.C.) but as a first timer please try to keep your wits about you.

Bon Voyage

jcf

Dec 18, 2008
10-4 on all. Thanks everyone for input.

I'll manage and enjoy the escape from work and reality either way.

swooperman

Oct 10, 2007
One night in Boca Chica was one night too many for me. Sosua is ten times better. If someone can tell me why I am wrong about this I would love to here from them.