Generator VS Inverter??

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
Which one is better to supply power to a home in Sosua/POP area??

Thanks in advance!

Jennie:glasses:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We have both. The inverter on its own was fine for years.........then we had the Hipolito Government back in 2000 and power cuts went to 20 hours a day and the poor little thing never got recharged to full capacity in the 4 hour town power availability so, we got a generator.

I know you asked either/or but you might want to think of both, finances permitting. Depends how much faith you have in current governmental promises and the location of where you live. If you're on the Playa Dorada circuit in, say, Torre Alta, an inverter on its own would be ok. Where we are in Bayardo we rarely need the generator because our power cuts are short ones, generally speaking. But they're really handy to have during hurricanes/tropical storms when the power will automatically go off for a much longer period. And remember, you might not have all your appliances connected to the inverter because it would use up too much juice.

jenniejayne

Dec 31, 2008
Thanks, that was great information. You pretty much answered everything I wanted to know. Thanks for letting me know what you personally use, and how you use it. ;)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
In my opinion, should you consider adding a generator, one should then have BOTH (an inverter system too). The reasoning being, that currently you can, almost daily, have short power cuts created by switch overs. You may not want to experience these cuts or see (and hear) your generator turn on for a cut of 30 sec. to 5 minutes, just to shut down again. With a limiter timer, you can set your generator to turn on only after an extension of a power cut is recorded. Thus saving gas/diesel and your generator's health and actually not have to "notice" all these little interruptions one way or the other.

May I add, that the Sosua/POP region has a variety of "preferential" and not so preferred lines and power networks. Meaning that within this broad region, you may find neighborhoods which offer what the call 24/7 "uninterrupted" service (which still can experience short cutoffs and occasional not so short ones) and others which have only occasional electrical service, and some in between.
In POP, some newer neighborhoods on the East end, have private electricity coming from the power station built for the tourist complex (Playa Dorada), which is said to be very reliable but more expensive (some actully have both there, the PD and EdeNorte).

... J-D.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We are on an "A" circuit (supposedly 24/7 power--ha ha ha) we just had a 1/2 hour outage. Last week we had three hour outages several times...

I no longer have an inverter, but our genset (20KVA) has auto timers, so no problem for the laptop. If I used a PC then I would need a UPS unit, at the very least and preferable an inverter with four or eight batteries..

HB

wendyj

Jul 24, 2006
We are in Cabarete and have both, which is lucky as our 24/7 power supply has been off for the last 13 hours and the batteries just died, so planta is chugging away happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
We are on an "A" circuit (supposedly 24/7 power--ha ha ha) we just had a 1/2 hour outage. Last week we had three hour outages several times...

I no longer have an inverter, but our genset (20KVA) has auto timers, so no problem for the laptop. If I used a PC then I would need a UPS unit, at the very least and preferable an inverter with four or eight batteries..

HB

I am in the same circuit (Jardines Metropolitanos) and I belive the black out was 5 hours long last week...