How bad can driving really be?

billywinter

Dec 24, 2008
I am heading to Boca Chica in March for a diving trip. I plan on renting a car at SDQ airport and using it durring my stay for trips into Santo Domingo and day trips out to Bayhiba. I have been reading everywhere that driving in the DR is not safe. I have heard about bad pot holes, confusing road signs and crazy dominican drivers. How exaggerated is this?? Looking at Google Earth, I can see the road for SDQ all the way out to Bayhiba and it looks fine. I have gotten similar warnings about driving in other countries and yet the reality never rises to the hype. Can someone familar with the southeast area who drives give me some realistic advise? I don't want to sacfice the freedom of driving for a few inconveniences.

Thanks

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
its fine as long as you expect the unexpected- people tend to stick their head in the road to see if they have a flat tire at unexpected moments

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
1. http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/84510-attempted-carjacking-way-back-santo-domingo.html

2. Last year a friend (Dominican) hit a black cow in the middle of the road while he was heading home at night from Juan Dolio to Sto Domingo. Looking at the car, no one could believe he walked away from the accident. The cow didn't (think locals with machetes at midnight cutting it up for meat - really).

3. I've been driving here for the last 8 years. Is it doable, yes. Is it like roads in North America, no.

My suggestion... take a taxi from the airport. Perhaps also on your first trip into Sto Domingo or diving. At that point, you'll have your bearings and if you're comfortable with driving, rent your car on day 2 or 3.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
The stretch between Las Americas and Boca Chica is among the most crazy in the entire country, after dark it's just insane. The potholes are not the problem, it's the way people drive. From Boca Chica to Bayahibe is a piece of cake compared to the other way, even through San Pedro and La Romana.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Is like driving in downtown NYC while the Yellow taxi drivers take to the streets!

Diving in Miami in the expressways, driving local in Orlando's metro, driving in the m25 or m4 during manic time in Wales, driving in Paris' grand circle, "trying" to drive in Rome’s downtown...

Just be extra cautious while you drive and always do so defensively no matter if you have the right of way. If you're an avid driver it will be a nice experience and a few "close" ones at worst to raise your HB...

Most of the time it's more of aggressive driving and a rush to get from point A to point ? by people that in reality could get there the next day as things flow in the DR.

If you can drive in the above listed places, you sure as hell can drive in the DR, save for metro Santo Domingo or some places in the west corners of the country.

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
All exagerated bull, if you are a good driver then you will beable to drive no problem. I reckon the people telling crazy tales are probably more likely to be of the age they cause more hassle by not getting on with it.
My main tip is just get on with it, if you see a gap, go for it, always keep your eyes in your mirror in the city and towns. I find it easier to drive here than in the UK, it is a battle of confidence with a touch of gentlemanly charm for guys bigger than you. Just have a rest now and again, your eyes will begin to sting after 2 hours of pothole dodging, but please don't be put off. The driver won't see the road (to busy pothole dodging) but the rest will see much more of the oportunities on offer with a car.
Good luck, and remember to take pictures of the panels on the car.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
I think they drive a lot crazier in Santo Dom...........Change lanes as if they own the roads, with no signaling..............older cars have a lot of obvious dents and I mean multible.....as said before, expect the unexpectable.........I was riding with a Dominican friend there in his big yellow chevy, fueled by propane and as he was driving the wrong way, on the wrong side of a divided roadway , in the shoulder lane, heading towards his place of business.............He was shouting out to other drivers......DO YOU WANT SOME YELLOW PAINT ??????????????

So, I advise that you rent at the Airport, from Hertz or one of the big boys, with full coverage and go for it...........

When I go to D.R., I usually end up borrowing a friends car and play it by ear.......... but I'm brave and stupid...........And I can rent a room a lot cheaper than what I pay to rent a car..............and use public transportation, when nessassary...............

But, I suggest, do drive, I do ........... When affordable............

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
billywinter,
if you have the time, please let us know your thoughts of how it went.
thanks

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I’ve seen enough accidents so I don't really care whether someone think it's exaggerated bull or not. Can't see how it's comparable to Miami and NY. Just drive. Over and out.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I live here in the DR and have driven all over the DR. Here are a couple of quick rules.

1. Don't trust maps or google to judge the quality of the roads or if they even go where they are supposed to. This isn't Europe or the US and you could get into trouble a variety of ways. It is best to stay on the major roads and their quality of safeness can be verified by other members on DR1.

2. Don't drive at night oustside of the urban areas and when you do try not to stop between destinations.

3. As mentioned earlier, drive slow and also be very aware of other traffic and expect the unexpected (like people pulling out in front of you unexpectedly). Driving "rules" here are different to say the least.

I recently had some Dominican friends from the US vacation here for a month and I convinced them to rent a car as opposed to a taxi to travel much of the island. They did and followed my rules and everything turned out fine and they really enjoyed their stay.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Driving in the DR is not what many make it seem here.

Sure, there are moments when you will say to yourself "oh my God", but in time you will agree with me that based on the expectation some have created here, you will more likely be asking yourself "what is all the fuss about?"

Really, driving in the DR is like driving everywhere else.

Sometimes you see crazy things, but most of the time you do not.

-NALs

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
There is no doubt the crazy drivers and bad road exists everywhere in the world. The question really is whether you want to deal with the hassle; and a hassle it truly can be. When I visit the DR, whether in SD or RSJ or LT or Samana, I want tranquillo. But if you are more adventurous, from what I have seen, it really isn't too much worse than driving in most other places. Mmm, now that I've said all that, perhaps I'll try it one of these days myself.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
my experience(limited) is that once you are familiar with the area driving is ok. it is getting from one place to another that you may be unfamiliar with that is the problem. for instance if you fly into SD and wish to go to another area(north,east coast exp.) i would opt for alternate transportation and rent while in the area i was staying. but i felt as safe if not safer driving where i knew the roads than riding with someone else.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Look at it this way

I am heading to Boca Chica in March for a diving trip. I plan on renting a car at SDQ airport and using it durring my stay for trips into Santo Domingo and day trips out to Bayhiba. I have been reading everywhere that driving in the DR is not safe. I have heard about bad pot holes, confusing road signs and crazy dominican drivers. How exaggerated is this?? Looking at Google Earth, I can see the road for SDQ all the way out to Bayhiba and it looks fine. I have gotten similar warnings about driving in other countries and yet the reality never rises to the hype. Can someone familar with the southeast area who drives give me some realistic advise? I don't want to sacfice the freedom of driving for a few inconveniences.

Thanks

90% of Dominican drivers and I guess a few expat's (LOL) wouldn't qualify for a beginners licence on a tricycle. Drive defensive and try not to get to p*ssed off at those idiots.

Jul 18, 2008
Eddy's comment is probably the truest yet.

Be ABSOLUTELY aware of eveything around you at all times, and NEVER assume the guy in front in going to do something either safe, or with forethought for may what be behind him. Beware also of motorcycles at night with NO rear lights.

Safe travel.

Simon

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Since the OP’s intention was to go from Las Americas to BC here’s a few things I would like to add before I leave this discussion to the experts. Watch out for motoconchos driving after dark with NO LIGHT at all. When you get to San Andr?s there's a bus stop on the other side of the highway picking up people going to Santo Domingo, most of those live in Andr?s and cross the highway to catch the guagua. When you get to the turn off to BC (any of them) and want to turn right there’s a 50% chance there’s a motoconcho trying to overtake on the right hand side, don’t hit him then you’re f**ked. Make sure you wear a seat belt, if you don’t AMET will stop you and explain the very dangerous situation you have put yourself in by not wearing it. East of Boca Chica just apply common sense, read the now defunct carjacking thread, don’t worry about the potholes.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
..... on your first trip into Sto Domingo or diving. At that point, you'll have your bearings and if you're comfortable with driving, rent your car on day 2 or 3.

I can't agree more. Your first trip into Santo Domingo should be by Taxi or with somebody that knows the way. Just before the Puente Floatante (Barge Bridge), there is a peculiar stretch of road that you need to make a right onto from Avenue Espana. It would appear as though you are driving the wrong way if you look at the arrows. After that you need to make a tricky U-Turn to the left. I know it does not make much sense to you now, but you will see when you get here.

The driving and drivers are not so bad. Just drive defensively and watch out for potholes. People will cut you off left, right and center. Its normal, so no need to exhibit "road rage". Rent an SUV. Enjoy !!!

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
If you can drive in New york city with one eye shot at night , than you'll be just fine in the DR? OH!! I forgot add the rain to the senario "et Voila!!"

Sanation

May 21, 2007
I arrived in the DR almost a year ago from Australia. My biggest concern was learning to drive on the 'wrong side' of the road.

The traffic here is mayhem, or as I like to call it - Organised Chaos! I have spent many hours 'getting lost' only to find my way there in the end. Take is easy, expect the unexpected and you will be fine.

Learn to use the horn - it is your 'voice' on the roads.... I tend to be rather vocal (enough said!).

Buy a couple of good maps. You can buy a Santo Domingo street directory at the airport for around $RD600. This is invaluable if you plan to drive in the Capital (it shows the one way streets and everything!). There are other maps available from service stations and hotel.

Most of all, enjoy the freedom that having a vehicle will give you.