is cabarete a good place to stay?

M

Mike

hello i'm going to the dominican in april and we are staying in cabarete and i am just wondering if is a good/fun place to stay? hows the night life?

M

Maria

Hi Mike,

depends on what you are looking for, but for me Cabarete is the place to be. A nice bay with lots of space to relax all by yourself, apart from the action.
Directly at the beach you have bars and cafes and there is a nice, laid back atmosphere. The nightlife is cool, you can choose between Merengue, Bachata and Salsa at Brisas, some Live Music at Onno's or New Wafe Caf?, electronic music/ techno/ ambient at Tribal Cafe or Tiki Bar....there are many options. Well, you see, barhopping is not a problem in Cabarete. Besides, it is a hang out spot for windsurfers, so if you wanna surf-no problem. I am sure you will have lots of fun!
Maria

W

Wayne Spivey

I will be Staying in Caberete in Jan. Going to Santiagto to visit a friend. How is the best way to travel to Santiago? Rent a car, taxi, bus?

M

Matt Juba

The subject of renting a car has been canvased on this board many times and consensus seems to be "DO NOT EVEN THINK OF DRIVING!! I go to Santiago (cigar factories) every trip to the POP area and I always rent a taxi for the day. Usually a Dominican friend makes the arrangements. The cost (if I remember correctly) is less than $100 for the day. Very cheap considering you have very few worries - just sit back and enjoy the scenery and inevitable music and Presidentes. I am going to POP this weekend and plan to go to Santiago again. I can report the cost.

P

Phyllis

Rent a car, taxi, bus

Rent a car: if you have driven in the DR before
Taxi: expensive, but okay
Metro Bus: cheapest and very comfortable
Local Bus: very cheap, but not so comfortable

W

Wayne Spivey

Re: Rent a car, taxi, bus

Thanks for your response. I have driven in the Dr, but it was 25 years ago