Traveling with a Service Dog

CWP27rok

Jan 16, 2009
I am hoping to travel with my Service Dog next month (but will be travelling with an aid regardless). Do you know how friendly people are about dogs? It only recently occurred to me that DR is not the US so the Americans with Disabilities Act does not apply there!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dominicans, in general, are scared shi*less of dogs, even chihuahuas...
That said, there is only a very tiny dog culture here with some magnificent specimens, champions really.
I am sure that u and your dog will be respected and treated well...if not call me!!

HB

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Hillbilly is bang on about the majority of Dominicans and dogs. With respect to your service dog entering establishments with you in the DR, this should not be a problem as many expats bring their pets to dine with them at resteraunts etc. One thing to be aware of is the fact that there will be many other street dogs that your service dog will encounter while out - these dogs in most cases are friendly but will have the potential to distract your dog from the task at hand. As well please ensure your dogs shots are in good order as many of the dominican dogs have never recieved vacines for rabies, distemper etc. Enjoy your trip...Tom

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hillbilly is bang on about the majority of Dominicans and dogs. With respect to your service dog entering establishments with you in the DR, this should not be a problem as many expats bring their pets to dine with them at resteraunts etc.
True, but one exception is grocery stores like La Sirena and Supermercado Nacional. They forbid animals, including Mom CB's 6lb. Maltese in her small carrier. Restaurants, no problem

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
By law a service dog goes everywhere. I will check on this at these two places...

BTW, I am not sure the DR version of Citizens with Disability Act has been passed.

HB

CWP27rok

Jan 16, 2009
Thanks

Thanks for all of your advice. I will take all of this into consideration when I speak with her Veterinarian as well as for future travel. Please let me know if you find out if the DR Act passes/passed.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
As a note,I belive, the US now requires 1 year rebies vac. You still have to pay $10.00US and go to the Agro. office in Customs, when you get to DR. There are many good Vets. here, but I sugest you bring copies of the dogs records from your vet. It helps. We're going back Wed. to do taxes and get Bert's shot. You can do it here but we have to be there anyway. As said above Bert goes everywhere. G carrys a small bowel for water as most Dom. don't like dogs drinking out of their bowls. Otherwise no problem. If your dog has long hair you may want to get it cut. The temp is hard on dogs here.

Nov 25, 2009
I have 2 small service dogs(chihuahuas) and will be traveling to the DR in the next few months with the intentions of possibly staying there permanently. Has anybody traveled with 2 small dogs to the DR?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Just curious but what service does a chihuahua do? Kind of small for a seeing eye dog, or other type of physical service provider. retriever etc.:cheeky::surprised

Nov 25, 2009
Small service dogs can be used for many different disabilities such as hearing, seizure detection, depression, and more. I am allergic to dogs myself so it is better for me to have small dogs.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
We brought our dog in American Airlines cargo 5 days ago with no problems-
Paid $300DOP at sdq and they checked the rabies certificate from our local vet-- Will do it again next trip here!:bunny:

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You shouldn't have any trouble with the airlines. When you make your reservation. Tell them your bringing a service dog. Make sure to carry the card or paper showing they are service dogs. They will have to stay in the carrier while on the plane, under the seat in front of you. If there is room in first class ask if they will put you there because of the dog. Most times they will.Make sure you have papers from the Vet. Once you get here $10.00 at the airport per dog. It's easier here then in the US. We've neve been stopped anywhere here, but we don't take him to the groc. store.