Planning the big move to the DR, healthy finances

moicheek

Jan 5, 2009
Hi all,
my husband, myself and our 2 young kids will be moving to the DR next year. We are Canadians, he's a gringo and I am not. Anyway's.. our plan includes opening a small business, some charity work and private education for the children. Ive been following the threads as part of my research and was unaware that you are allowed to own guns. I was very surprised about this and wondered if this was an issue for any expats. The homes we are looking at are all gated so which gated communities would be the safest since I will be alone with the children from time to time, and which private school would you recommend to me. We are coming to the DR in Feb for two weeks at which time we will be meeting with a realestate agent and taking steps towards making all of this possible. We need serious counseling from those who know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated no matter how trivial you may feel it is I would like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Welcome to DR1. :) No-one can advise you on schools unless you suggest an area you might be living in..........or even north, south, east etc because it's a fairly large place.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Afteryou have been here for a year or so, received your Permanent Residence Visa, then you may apply for a weapons permit...very expensive...

I am fascinated by your comment-> "he's a gringo, I am not" ...Here, generally speaking, 'gringo' is a term applied to Americans, although Dominicans will apply it to any white person. If you are Canadian, eh, what is he?

And, yes, please tell us where you will be setting up your charity, I need help...(just kidding--although many here think I do need help)..

And, my advice to anyone making such a move: PLEASE GO REAL SLOW....Nothing hasty...seek advice...network...take off the "Margaritaville" glasses...

Good Luck,

HB (Was I nice?)

moicheek

Jan 5, 2009
I am considering Santo Domingo and sending the kids to Carol Morgan. My husband is an American, living in Canada. Is this a good place to run a retail business for my clothing designs that are just simple casual wear, not too expensive but very cute, jewelry, perfume ect. My charity involves giving away childrens clothing to those that need it the most since I have major contacts in that area and just because I can. What better place to do this?
As far as guns are concerned I have no interest in owning one. I just needed to put
forth the question for it to be answered.
My husband and I have spent alot of time doing research asking lots of questions, searching the internet and reading everything on this site so we are taking our time
to make sure this is the right move for us. Our main concern is our safety.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm not so sure that SD has 'gated communities' in the way that the north and east does, but it certainly has good & bad areas for security. Probably better if one of the SD people answers that part. And the parents of children at Carol Morgan can answer that part. There is also
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/47622-private-schools.html

On the subject of guns you were 'unaware that you are allowed to own guns. I was very surprised about this and wondered if this was an issue for any expats.' No it isn't an issue: those who want one get one and those who don't, don't. I think I'm probably misinterpreting the question :cheeky: so perhaps you could spell it out for me?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Carol Morgan, et al

You will be fine. You will be living in the upscale neighborhoods- in Casigasgues (SP?) or Los Rios or Arroyo Hondo and there will be guards all over the place. Your kids will be playing with the kids who are driven by chauffers. Your safety should not be a concern except to worry that they might fall into the swimming pool. Really. no worries.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
welcome to SD, you will love it or hate it, and that could all depend upon the neighborhood you move into or the building you move into. carrol morgan is as good a school as any in the US or Canada. start thinking about an apartment building with 24 hour watchman/doorman near the school as traffic in SD can be hell and you don't want to spend an hour each way taking the kids back and forth to class. which will be the case if you move to arroyo hondo. your business may or may not make it. there are lots of clothing "boutiques" in this city. as far as giving away clothing, just put it on the curb in front of your building, it will be gone in a flash to those that need it. be thankful that some of the people in your gated building have guns, my next door neighbor is always armed, god bless him.................

moicheek

Jan 5, 2009
Wow!!! great feadback guy's... thanks!

My clothing charity is quite broad - very large volumes of clothing at a time.
I would need to be linked to other charitable organizations, orphanage, churches ect.

Since I'll be without a vehicle for awhile I would rather be close to the school. If I have to travel somewhere outside of my "impending" community... I'll figure something out.

As for the gun question, I guess common sense, good security and being courteous to your neighbors can be just as effective. eh?

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I would like to suggest that you look into renting your first apartment in any of the Anacaona Condos right behind Carol Morgan as your "live there while you are learning before you buy something" apartment. I personally preferred Anacaona II. The important thing in any of the three though is to make sure you rent in the second or third row of apartments away from the street to cut down on noise pollution.

You will be in walking distance from the school (heck some of the third floor apartments overlook the back wall, you could watch the kids pe classes. ;) The school also has a community service program that could help you with connections for your clothing.

These condos are relatively safe, close to your school of choice (our children went to school there) right across from the park, a large supermarket a block away, bank branch in the grocery store, bakeries, etc all within walking distance. You are also an easy trip away from Bella Vista mall for shopping and nice movie theaters.

It would be a nice neighborhood to "get your feet wet in"as the saying goes.

Good luck with your move.

Reactions: mountainannie

moicheek

Jan 5, 2009
Thank's. That is exactly what I want.
When we vacation there in Feb, I'll have a much better idea of where I should be looking.
Can u tell me what the average cost is to rent in this area? We would need at least a 3b.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Send a PM

To Chirimorya who used to live there - just in those apartments before she abandoned us for Punta Cana, sob sob, sob

These are quite lovely apartments, with their own swimming pools, great place for the kids to play, full of ex-pats and folks who work at the UN,

And it is really good advice to rent for a year before you buy anything. You will want to scope out the neighborhoods and the traffic patterns and establish a bit of a life before you settle in.

Also there are new apartments and houses being built all the time here and many of them are pre sold. I know that here in Gazcue, they sell apartments to Dominicans long before construction is finished since the area is good for expats (NOT so convenient to Carol Morgan families- you would be snarled in traffic all day!) that Dominicans buy them and hold them as investments.

Take it slow...

But there are three complexes at Anacanoa--which is right off Mirador Sur, the city's biggest park. I would sense, off the top of my head that a three bedroom there would be in the $1500-$2000 range - which would also get you a good house rental in Casigascue (sp? my Taino is rusty) where a lot of Carol Morgan families live.

Good advice too about the second or third floor. I am on the third which I love... but if I had little kids with bikes, perhaps the second would be preferable.

Feeling better?
Safer?
Less Nervous"

Will it help if I tell you that it is 78 degrees here in Santo Domingo and I am thinking about going out to the pool?

Thought it might.

Welcome.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
And we need COTTON clothing with some sex appeal. We are perishing in POLYESTER here. Benneton dresses like ... well.. preppies which is not Dominican style. So yes, SD would be a very good market for upscale designer clothing.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Rentals are a little less than the amount mountainannie estimated, depending on the condition of the apartment. The complex is over 30 years old so some are in better shape than others, mostly in the US$1000-1300 range.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
We have a nice 3 bedroom house in Los Cacicazgos (near Carol Morgan) and pay US$2,100 per month. We looked at apartments in the area a few months ago and didn't find much that we would want to live in for less than US$1,800 per month.

You can get cheaper (around US$1,300) but we didn't like the apartments in that price bracket.

Also keep in mind that if you are not planning on bringing your furniture, it is very expensive here, and usually marginal quality. You can rent furnished apartments, but add US$500-1,000 per month to the price tag.

We love loving in Los Cacicazgos and would recommend it to anyone, particularly families. ;)

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Such a bargin

It is considered a very classy address.....

And the apartments are big and lovely,

but, true, perhaps, they are a bit older.... but I prefer them to a Torre, the skyscrapers- which are going up -- or at least I would prefer them if I had kids.

Actually, secretly, I long for the Torre penthouse but know that I will never in this lifetime be able to afford one so I content myself with my sweet balcony.

But here in Gazcue, we brag that "we have a friend in Anacanoa" - it is the large avenue, designed to be Embassy Row and has the UN HQ on it.

Evidently it is quite a challenge to cross the Avenue into the park except in the early mornings since Dominicans do not hold the concept that pedestrians have the right of way.

Walking in the Capital can be Quite a challenge.

Nov 25, 2008
All nice options if you like the hustle and bustle of Santo Dominigo, I myself have been living in Santiago [less traffic and better"people"; meaning, I find that people from S.D. are more "stuck-up, snobs.." than the people from Santiago "Cibao" as they are called.
Gated residential areas are many, look into options, if you like the beach look toward the north or east of the island, if you wish to bring up your kids in a better environment try the "cibao"
A nice club here in Santiago is centro espanol, family orientated [www.centroespanol.com]
Living conditions is also cheaper, a nice apt. , 3 bedroom runs for about$550-800; as they say location, location, location, schools are also excellent here.
If you need any help, throw a line