How did you get your cedula?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
From DR1 news...Cedula fraud high
The Central Electoral Board (JCE) estimates that 30,000 foreigners have obtained cedulas without proving they have entered, or are residing, in the DR legally. The JCE is constantly investigating cedula emissions. Yesterday, the board requested the cancellations of cedulas belonging to 65 foreigners after determining that they had been obtained fraudulently. The JCE has also fired the supervisor and head of the Center for Military Cedulas, for illegally giving military documentation to civilians. Foreigners who have embarked on the cedula process should make sure that their status is legal. Hoy reports the story of a Spanish national resident in Bavaro, Antonio Granja Guerra who paid lawyer Johnny Manuel Guerrero Gomez US$1,000 to take care of the legalization process for him. In the end it turned out that Guerrero had done nothing for Granja, who was none the wiser. The JCE investigated the case after he complained at the JCE headquarters when visiting to regularize his status.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How many posts have we seen over the years from people claiming to have gotten a fast track cedula or great deal etc?

I have been saying this for years on here, make sure a reputable lawyer does your paperwork if your going to pay. I have lost count of the amount of people I know that fast tracked, only to get caught at the renewal stage, new drivers license etc.

You get what you pay for and that is VERY true here in the DR!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If they haven't got a solicitud number, I'm not sure that site will help. The difficulty for foreigners who are 'no vota' status is that typing your number into the Padr?n Electoral will return a 'no existe' response. LuvtheDR, were you enquiring about people currently applying for c?dulas or those who already have them but are trying to find out if they are legal ones?

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
If they haven't got a solicitud number, I'm not sure that site will help. The difficulty for foreigners who are 'no vota' status is that typing your number into the Padr?n Electoral will return a 'no existe' response. LuvtheDR, were you enquiring about people currently applying for c?dulas or those who already have them but are trying to find out if they are legal ones?

That's exactly what's happening. I put MY Cedula number in and I get "no existe"...but I am "no vota".

I have tried this before and had the same result but thought maybe there was another place for us "no vota" people to go to check our status.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Not that I'm aware of. All gets revealed when people turn up at JCE once every 6 years to renew :ermm: or apply for a driving licence. If it was ok for your last renewal there's no reason to suppose anything has changed & if you got your driving licence without a problem, again no reason to think anything has changed. I suspect most of the 65 being cancelled belong to people who know darn well they took a short cut (there were some Colombians & Chinese a while back who similarly had their c?dulas cancelled but they were people doing a complete ID makeover).

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
Not that I'm aware of. All gets revealed when people turn up at JCE once every 6 years to renew :ermm: or apply for a driving licence. If it was ok for your last renewal there's no reason to suppose anything has changed & if you got your driving licence without a problem, again no reason to think anything has changed. I suspect most of the 65 being cancelled belong to people who know darn well they took a short cut (there were some Colombians & Chinese a while back who similarly had their c?dulas cancelled but they were people doing a complete ID makeover).

Well, I haven't had to renew yet...I just got my Permanent Residency in March. I do have my driving licence - and didn't have any problems with that! I actually don't doubt the validity of my residency....I was just hoping that there was a "new" site where I could actually SEE that I'm in the system! :classic:

OH, BTW....thanks for the link 'Tambo :)

Last edited:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
For those who used "other" channels in order to get their Cedula or Driver L in the DR:

There's no such thing as a fast track or faster way to complete any of the two. At most you could get things moved from one desk to the other by doing it personally, time consuming but effective.

The reason it's taking longer to find the particular documents obtained via those channels, is that each case if followed to the source of origin. Each public employee or administrator found to be involved via their approval on the records, is terminated without benefits and a case opened with the prosecutor's office in SD to follow suit.

The actual holders of such documents in question are then told to follow the law and apply for them the right way.

In each case a foreigner is found to be one of the affected parties, his gathered data is "FAST TRACKED" to the INTERPOL office in SD and a record search performed in the country of birth. That's b/c some people that get their documents that way, usually don't use the lawful channels for a good reason...

The Cedulas that have been already canceled, are the ones an investigation process was started on.
There are many others which are under review and will be screened 3 times by 3 non-linked departments doing such work for the JCE... That's to avoid "inside" friends from altering or omitting certain documents as personal or biz favors to outsiders.

Already two military intelligence agencies are performing inside cleaning of their ends...

If you suspect your Cedula or Driver license, just visit the local JCE's closest to you and have them do a check for you...

Be aware that if the document is found to be issued fraudulently, you'll be asked some question as to ascertain who was involved in the process to get it for you. However, you won't become a suspect or face any type of problems other than having to apply anew for your legal and lawful documents as it was meant to be in the first place.

The new system being used to weed out frauds is very good and yet only about 38% of the total number of Cedulas issued has been scanned to date!

The new Cedula system will be very secured and offer extra layers to detect "inside" manipulation of data and ID issuing.

There's nothing to worry about these steps being taken, as they'll guarantee that your Cedula and other documents are 100% legit and valid.

However, if you have legal or criminal issues back where you came from, please heed my earlier warnings and leave as soon as you can! If you happen to have a warrant or pending action in another judicial system linked to the DR or via INTERPOL, you'll be arrested, prosecuted as an unwanted person and deported with a ban on entering the Dominican territory ever again for life!

Last edited:

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Just a suggestion. We applied for our new Bio-Cedula. They looked us up on the computer and there wasn't any problem. I think if you have to do the new cedula anyway, you can kill to birds with one stone.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Just a suggestion. We applied for our new Bio-Cedula. They looked us up on the computer and there wasn't any problem. I think if you have to do the new cedula anyway, you can kill to birds with one stone.

I went to the JCE in la Feria in Santo Domingo in the last week in January and gave my thumbprint, got a new picture taken and gave a new signature. It was all accepted so my cedula is clean.

I got confusing answers at the JCE on one question. My cedula expires 2010 so I asked do I have to renew it right away or should I renew it at it's normal expiration. One person said wait until it expires and another said renew right away.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I went to the JCE in la Feria in Santo Domingo in the last week in January and gave my thumbprint, got a new picture taken and gave a new signature. It was all accepted so my cedula is clean.

I got confusing answers at the JCE on one question. My cedula expires 2010 so I asked do I have to renew it right away or should I renew it at it's normal expiration. One person said wait until it expires and another said renew right away.

The thing is that the new Cedula's design and security features are not even yet finalized. Several models were presented by the companies behind the bells and whistles, but a winner is not a given as of yet!

The new car will incorporate the bio-data and other things. When you go (went in the case of those that already did) to have your data taken, if a new card is in order, you'll be getting the CURRENT one ONLY.

The NEW card that will render the actual obsolete, is NOT yet ready to roll out...

As it happens, the population approved to own a Cedula is being asked to summit their biometric data before the NEW card is rolled out b/c of three things:

1- To gather the biometric data along other information, and to weed out all fraudulent issued documents out there today.

2- To know who's here as a home grown citizen, a naturalized citizen, permanent resident, In-Transit, on temporary residency, out of status, etc... How many, from where, location, density, education, profession, etc...

3- When the NEW card is rolled out, those that already participated in providing their biometric data will in the same order, be called to receive their NEW ID and a verification of the biometric data in record. This will be done instantaneously, as the individuals will be asked to use the devices on hand, to provide a positive match with the one on record.

Again: NO NEW CARD - AS IN JUST THE CURRENT ONE - WILL BE ISSUED AT THIS TIME!!

If you're not sure that your Cedula is legit, b/c you paid somebody to do it for you; just visit any local office of the JCE and they'll be more than happy to assist you! As another poster indicated before, if you haven't given your biometric data, that will be a great time to kill two birds with one stone!

Before the end of 4Q 2009, every woman, man and child in the DR will have either a Cedula, student ID or SS#(same as your Cedula but for under school-age kids). The Student ID will become their Cedula # as they reach the age to hold such Document. The SS# will become the Student ID # when the kids become of school age...

Simply put, by the end of 2009, every single person that's supposed to be in the DR legally will be on record and in the system. Any services afforded to citizens or legal to be in the country, will require the individual's ID number.

And by the same token, that number will also be incorporated into the new Internal Revenues department.

Take your time and visit a local JCE office and be done with it, before the lines start to become a pain in the neck! As Dominican are notorious for leaving everything to the last minute, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past the deadline...

Just imagine, only a frame of the total number of people that needs to provide the data has done so. Just take into account the number of people that were on the Voting list, and then add the millions that were a bit too young to vote but not to have a Cedula...
Then think that by the Q4 of 2009 everybody MUST be on record...

We're already ending Jan, so that leaves less than what? 10 months to collect millions of biometric data from people that wait to the very last second to do anything and you'll be right in between them!

The JCE doesn't use expedited language b/c they're not even ready to cope with too many people at a time. So they tell people to come with patience, just as they fit more and more locations with the hardware and software in order to collect the data.

Is very simple! If you haven't provided your biometric data yet, just visit any local JCE's office at you earliest possible convenience and JUST DO IT!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Did you mean last week in December? :cheeky:

I went in December & renewed my c?dula which expired in 2008 & was told the same as you, by 5 different people (!) viz. different things (I posted about it in detail on a thread in Legal).

I'd say you need to do nothing more - you have a current c?dula & you've done your biometric details. Just wait for press notices. We are already getting hints that nothing in the way of new c?dulas will be available until after July, because JCE recently extended validity on c?dulas expiring in 2008 until July 2009. The c?dula renewal I did in December now expires in 2014. Unless I read strong reasons to do another renewal before that I will simply wait until someone announces the biometric ones are ready for collection. Then if the magic date of 2009 doesn't pan out for whatever reason I will still have a valid c?dula up until 2014. Which should give them a few years grace to get it done.;)

Harrod

May 17, 2006
My Temp Res Has just run out, and I,m having second thoughts as to getting my Perm Res as I keep having to spend the money I saved for it. Do I have to have it for my cedulla which has also just ran out, I,m retired and not working if thats at all relevent. Where can I get it renewed?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Your residency papers MUST be up to date in order to renew/apply for a Cedula.

No ifs, no buts about that!

I'm almost certain that once your provisional (temporary) residency permit expires, you must apply for permanent residency. Unless you leave the country and return at a later date, once again re-starting the whole process, you may apply for the temp one.

The aim of the temp residency is to provide a path for the permanent one. I highly doubt there's such thing as renewing a temp residency application process!
I'll ask somebody with the right knowledge on this matter, but still highly doubt such thing is in place since it would defeat the aim of the temp process in all.

The JCE deals with Cedulas and the DGM deals with residency papers...