Does anyone know?

Feb 7, 2007
Does anyone know.... Johny The Big Nose from Ocean Blue? Just kidding.

Does anyone know if the transit laws here in the DR have changed since my trip back to Europe over Christmas and New Year's?

Looks like the new rule now states that on a 2-LANE road cars overpass from the right ... yesterday on my trip to SD I have seen this new transit rule applied 3 times by some very "courageous" drives

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Does anyone know.... Johny The Big Nose from Ocean Blue? Just kidding.

Does anyone know if the transit laws here in the DR have changed since my trip back to Europe over Christmas and New Year's?

Looks like the new rule now states that on a 2-LANE road cars overpass from the right ... yesterday on my trip to SD I have seen this new transit rule applied 3 times by some very "courageous" drives

Rubio, I can't believe YOU would ask this :)

Do you mean "rules" like in "laws"?
I would not know if there was a LAW which would prohibit passing on the right. Actually, to the contrary of most of Europe, in most of the Americas (including the US) it is OK to pass on a right lane.

Here, it is not uncommon to get passed on the right, while an other one passes you invading the oncoming right lane (double lined out) to the left of you all the whilst the same is going on from traffic coming on against you. Is it legal? Who cares! One only tries to get home alive, somehow. The vast majority of what is going on on Dominican roads may not be legal anyway. :)

There are certain rules which may also not be laws but which are quite strictly observed. Let me share 2 here.

Right of way:

• Right of way has whom drives the bigger, uglier vehicle. If two ugly vehicles of same size and weight meet, the one which can cause the most damage wins, even when backing from a parking lot right into a busy 3 lane Hwy!
  • Right of way in case of an obstacle: Right of was HAS to be granted to an oncoming vehicle, should that one find an obstacle (like a very intelligently "parked" car on a main road) on IT's WAY. The reasoning is simple. Since it's way is blocked, it HAS to invade onto the oncoming traffics lane, otherwise it would have to slow down and God forbids even stop and wait. This rule will only be toppled by the above rule.
:D

... J-D.

Feb 7, 2007
Do you mean "rules" like in "laws"?
I would not know if there was a LAW which would prohibit passing on the right. Actually, to the contrary of most of Europe, in most of the Americas (including the US) it is OK to pass on a right lane.

Not "from the right" like I am traveling in a left lane and somebody overpassess me from the right.

"From the right" means I am traveling in the ONLY lane (because the other one is oncoming traffic) and people overpassing from the right by using of what remains of my lane and the small space for emergency parking... and in one case, even going completely "off road"