Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
trafficing, promoting sex tourism?

errrrrr excuse me ! all guilty of what ?

I think that implication was that when posters ask for information on "girl friendly" hotels and the like, are posters on DR1 participating in promoting sex tourism/prostitution.

At least that was the way that I understood it.

Perhaps the OP could explain what he meant.

May 12, 2005
I think that implication was that when posters ask for information on "girl friendly" hotels and the like, are posters on DR1 participating in promoting sex tourism/prostitution.

At least that was the way that I understood it.

Perhaps the OP could explain what he meant.

Yes, that was what I was wondering aloud. But I am sure there is more to that story.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Facilitating prostitution

The particular posting that the OP was referring to is being prosecuted under NY law which treats promoting tours for the purpose of prostitution as a felony:
http://www.nycourts.gov/cji/2-PenalLaw/230/230.25(1).pdf

There is a current bill pending which would toughen the restrictions,making it clear that it is a felony regardless of whether or not prostitution is legal in the destination country.

In the monies that the US government has allocated for fighting HIV around the world, there have been restrictions on using such funds (under one program PEPFAR- under which the DR received $7 million last year)- without signing a statement in opposition to prostitution. This provision has been extremely controversial, leading to legal challenges.
Anti-prostitution pledge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have heard from a number of women that they have generally found DR1.com fairly "sleazy"- with its apparent agreement in facilitating sex tourism to the Dominican Republic.

Perhaps that is the sort of site that most posters want. Perhaps that brings in the bulk of the revenue to DR1.com. Perhaps that is the sort of tourism that Dolores wishes to encourage in this country. One does not know.

It would be interesting to note if there were any posters, or any people who might have been discouraged from coming here, from moving here, because of the "sex tourism" postings here.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
The particular posting that the OP was referring to is being prosecuted under NY law which treats promoting tours for the purpose of prostitution as a felony:
http://www.nycourts.gov/cji/2-PenalLaw/230/230.25(1).pdf

There is a current bill pending which would toughen the restrictions,making it clear that it is a felony regardless of whether or not prostitution is legal in the destination country.

In the monies that the US government has allocated for fighting HIV around the world, there have been restrictions on using such funds (under one program PEPFAR- under which the DR received $7 million last year)- without signing a statement in opposition to prostitution. This provision has been extremely controversial, leading to legal challenges.
Anti-prostitution pledge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have heard from a number of women that they have generally found DR1.com fairly "sleazy"- with its apparent agreement in facilitating sex tourism to the Dominican Republic.
Perhaps that is the sort of site that most posters want. Perhaps that brings in the bulk of the revenue to DR1.com. Perhaps that is the sort of tourism that Dolores wishes to encourage in this country. One does not know.

It would be interesting to note if there were any posters, or any people who might have been discouraged from coming here, from moving here, because of the "sex tourism" postings here.

And the name of those women are????????????????

Mar 2, 2008
"It would be interesting to note if there were any posters, or any people who might have been discouraged from coming here, from moving here, because of the "sex tourism" postings here."

Before deciding on the DR as a place to live, I researched and visited several other countries in Central America, South America, and the Caribbean. I found most LA country are faced with the same issues regarding prostitution as is the DR, and some countries are much worse off.

I did not find that the DR is uniquely or adversely affected by this issue, nor do I believe that it is a haven for "sex-tourists", as some would have us believe. The DR certainly has a much better reputation than some of the Asian countries in this regard, and in my opinion has much less of a problem than many other LA countries, such as Costa Rica, to name just one.

In any third-world country, you will find similar circumstances, and the remedies are not easy or clear-cut. If there is a simple solution I'd like to hear it.

Mar 2, 2008
There are many pressing problems in the world, and in my opinion, the question of prostitution is relatively insignificant, and focusing on it serves only to distract us from much more important concerns.

Compare the issue of working girls, who have existed in every country in the world for many thousands of years, with the issue of terrorism, for example. Is there any doubt which of these two issues is more important?

This report was in the news today:
Bomber kills 17 in Sri Lankan refugee camp - CNN.com

The hypocrisy FernieBee refers to is quite apparent in the emphasis being placed on a social issue which has nowhere near the impact of situations such as the one in the CNN report.

In the DR, there are so many major problems deserving legitimate concern that any debate regarding the pros and cons of prostitution is laughable and utterly beside the point.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Pure 100% home-grown baloney, girl.

There are a couple of prostitution hot-spots in the DR, and they happen to be where many expats and tourists live or travel (gee...where the foreigner money is, what a shocker...) It's a chicken/egg thing AFAIK. In the classic economic model, employment chases capital.

And I totally doubt DR1 is promoting it.

Your "girlfriends" need to toughen the f@ck up, if they even exist. Heck, female sex tourists are nearly as prominent as male sex tourists if you do some research.

One thing DR1 is NOT is sleazy, especially in "promoting" prostitution. It was a problem a loooooong time before Algore invented the innerweb, and even longer since Dolores and Robert created DR1. There are PLENTY of other websites that do 1000+ times more promoting sex toruism than DR1 does. You should aim that PC cannon elsewhere. You might hit a target.

Reactions: FernieBee

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

There are a couple of prostitution hot-spots in the DR, and they happen to be where many expats and tourists live or travel (gee...where the foreigner money is, what a shocker...) It's a chicken/egg thing AFAIK. In the classic economic model, employment chases capital.

And I totally doubt DR1 is promoting it.

Your "girlfriends" need to toughen the f@ck up, if they even exist. Heck, female sex tourists are nearly as prominent as male sex tourists if you do some research.

One thing DR1 is NOT is sleazy, especially in "promoting" prostitution. It was a problem a loooooong time before Algore invented the innerweb, and even longer since Dolores and Robert created DR1. There are PLENTY of other websites that do 1000+ times more promoting sex toruism than DR1 does. You should aim that PC cannon elsewhere. You might hit a target.

Agreed. Robert and Delores have a respectable site. It attracts all sorts, including those with less altruistic agendas. Such is the effect of having the top DR site on the Net.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
nice mouth

makes me really want to sit down and have an intelligent discussion with you.