One of the BEST Dominican artists- Raul?n Rodr?guez

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Artist: Raul?n Rodr?guez
Album : Parece mentira (2008)
Commentary: by Lesley D

I did not know what to expect from this new release by Raul?n Rodr?guez. An artist who has a phenomenal repertoire and has maintained his tradition of producing quality bachata once again has surpassed the expectations of probably some of his most loyal fans. Waiting for a chance to listen to this album in order to really enjoy it, I was left puzzled. From the onset of the first song, each one just got better and better until song # 7, Solamente t? then he just went over the top. The man has outdone himself once again. There is not one bad song on this album and it would be hard to say which ones will be top hits. Every song on the album is wonderful and they are all bachata.

Thanks to artists like Raul?n R who now has a more innovative style than ever before which really began with his production Si no te tengo (2004) and continued on from there, he was always a distinguished bachatero not conforming to the negative stereotypes that have been associated with this genre for decades; his music and lyrics have always been a cut above the rest. His 2006 release A d?nde ir? sin ti was a giant production that IMO really set the tone for where he is heading in his career. His talent for music is natural, his love for the genre is paramount, and his bachata is incomparable. With this latest production which will be heard throughout 2009, Raul?n will remain among the elite few artists who has a tremendous repertoire of music of a genre that is authentically Dominican.

If you like Raul?n?s music and have followed his career, this album is another gem.

Samples/ preview available on Amazon.com
Amazon.com: Parece Mentira: Raulin Rodriguez: Music

For his biography and collection of albums, click on this link:
Sabor Dominicano | Biografia y discografia de Raulin Rodriguez

-LDG.

frank617

Jan 12, 2009
One of the best, yes, but not THE best.

The best bachatero is without a doubt, Antony Santos. After twenty years as a solo artist, El Mayimbe is still able to produce hit songs. In fact, five of the top forty hits last year in the DR belong to El Monstro de Monte Christi. Santos has stuck to his Domincian roots, yet has expanded the bachata genre to include other musical influences. Most notably, he made a hit remake of the Marco Antonio Solis song "Vete, Alejate de Mi". Also, a duet hit with Eddy Herrera "Hipocrita". And let's not forget, his close association with Aventura. As far as an extensive repertoire goes, "en esta mundo no pueda nadie". ME ENCANTA ESTA VAINA!!!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
True but there are a few elite bachateros...

I carefully stated one of the best not only because it's a matter of choice and personal preference but because there are a few bachateros that are among a select few that have the talent, many albums, long standing fan popularity and a successful musical career to back up their credentials.

Without a doubt Mr.Santos is in a category by himself, a premier and pillar artist of the genre. Although Raul?n started off in Antony's band as a joven bachatero with plenty of talent and shortly thereafter branched out on his own, the two do not compare. Their style of bachata is different but yet both appeal to many bachata followers. Although the genre today enjoys its highest level of international presence ever and most attribute that success to the more modern and urban groups like Aventura, none of those artists would have anything to rave about if Anthony Santos did not pave the way and withstand the societal discrimination of a genre associated with the 'lower class' and campesinos, thus his style clearly defined as bachata del pueblo and it truly is.

My posts about Antony S go back years on this board so there's no need for me to repeat myself because nothing has changed. Yes, he does have a phenomenal repertoire as well and without a doubt some of his songs are just classics. Too many to list but surely many of us can name a few and would all agree wholeheartedly.

I enjoy paying tribute to artists who are talented, creative, and endure the test of time. There's no doubt in my mind that Raul?n is headed in that direction too, and is one of the elite few that will even be comparable to Antony's accomplishments.

As well, Joe Veras' new release, Vida is another one of Joe's productions that will keep him in the 'elite' class of bachateros that I have been mentioning. Since his release of Carta de verano in 2003, he has produced some tremendous albums with his new found style which is truly 'bachata moderna'. If you like Joe Veras, I highly recommend the following recent albums: Carta de verano, Tonto coraz?n (which has the hit song La pared), and La traves?a (a wonderful album). Once I acquire Luis Segura's newest albums, I will be set for the year.

-LDG.

Last edited:

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
Raulin Rodriguez

Just ordered the new Raulin Rodriguez CD "Parece Mentira" along with several other recent bachata CDs from CD Universe. Looking forward to it's arrival. I already have a few Raulin Rodriguez CDs and like his music very much!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i've had the privilage of seeing raulin live. WHat a great show! Tried to see him in brooklyn a few months ago...but he didnt show up :-(

Still havent gotten hooked on his recent CD La Carretera. Its good...i guess i just need to listen to it more.

Didnt know he had a new cd out...gonna have to buy it this week!

Raulin is the one who got me hooked on Bachata with Aye Hombre. Reyes is my second fav..and of course santos...and i really like Luis Miguel Del Amargue. You dont hear of him that much but there is something about his smokey voice that i really like.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Good bachata artists...

Yachtmaster- I won't spoil it for you but since you already are a fan of Raul?n R, I can guarantee you that you will love his new cd Parece mentira. Song #2, which is also the album title is really beautiful. If you understand Spanish pay close attention to the lyrics. Out of curiosity, if you don't mind what other cds did you buy? Cd universe has good prices and service.

Jrzyguy- I will venture to say that bachata concerts in general are truly a unique and singular experience. Since 2005, I have been to quite a few. I have seen Frank Reyes (in Montreal), Monchy and Alexandra (Toronto), Joe Veras (Toronto), El Chaval (Montreal) and Zacar?as Ferreira (Montreal). All were excellent, unique, crowd pleaser type concerts. There's nothing comparable to live music and an energetic well-behaved crowd. As you know, I was disappointed too when Raul?n did a no show two years ago for his scheduled performances in Toronto and Montreal.

2007 was not a good year in Latin music in general in my opinion. That was a year of very few cd purchases for me. I can count what I bought on one hand. Raul?n's 2007 album La carretera is the only one I don't have from his collection and the reason being is I am not sure if I will like it. The same holds true for Frank R's 2007 album Te regalo el mar. I have yet to purchase it. What an off beat year it was in Latin music.

Luis Miguel del amargue, I don't know much about his music. He has potential but not in the same category as the more experienced bachata artists. Those with true natural talent have been mentioned in the thread already. El Chaval is unique and probably still not discovered by many. However, he is versatile and can play the guitar. His guitar ability is comparable to Luis Vargas. When they start to play they rock the floor. I recommend Raul?n's new album. You will enjoy it for sure.

Let's not forget H?ctor Acosta, el merenguero who is absolutely talented and can definitely hold his own in both genres. Worthy of recognition in this thread as well is Alex Bueno.

-LDG.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Artist: Raul?n Rodr?guez
Album : Parece mentira (2008)
Commentary: by Lesley D

I did not know what to expect from this new release by Raul?n Rodr?guez. An artist who has a phenomenal repertoire and has maintained his tradition of producing quality bachata once again has surpassed the expectations of probably some of his most loyal fans. Waiting for a chance to listen to this album in order to really enjoy it, I was left puzzled. From the onset of the first song, each one just got better and better until song # 7, Solamente t? then he just went over the top. The man has outdone himself once again. There is not one bad song on this album and it would be hard to say which ones will be top hits. Every song on the album is wonderful and they are all bachata.

Thanks to artists like Raul?n R who now has a more innovative style than ever before which really began with his production Si no te tengo (2004) and continued on from there, he was always a distinguished bachatero not conforming to the negative stereotypes that have been associated with this genre for decades; his music and lyrics have always been a cut above the rest. His 2006 release A d?nde ir? sin ti was a giant production that IMO really set the tone for where he is heading in his career. His talent for music is natural, his love for the genre is paramount, and his bachata is incomparable. With this latest production which will be heard throughout 2009, Raul?n will remain among the elite few artists who has a tremendous repertoire of music of a genre that is authentically Dominican.

If you like Raul?n’s music and have followed his career, this album is another gem.

Samples/ preview available on Amazon.com
Amazon.com: Parece Mentira: Raulin Rodriguez: Music

For his biography and collection of albums, click on this link:
Sabor Dominicano | Biografia y discografia de Raulin Rodriguez

-LDG.

OOOOHHH LES!

Thanks for ur confirmation of a good album......finally!!!

I'm gonna let you know what I think. I know we share similiar musical tastes ;)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
A cut above the rest..

montreal,

Indiscutiblemente, Parece mentira es uno de sus mejores discos. C?mpratelo para que puedas disfrutar de su m?sica y luego me das tu opini?n.

I am a sincere fan of Raul?n especially since he?s not a 'fly by night' bachatero. He?s talented, gifted and he has been playing the guitar since he was a young teenager. His love for music is apparent and has been blessed by being able to continuously take his career to the next level. Parece mentira, raises him up a notch once again and without a doubt the few that question his talent will be silenced. Whenever people start to critique Raul?n, he shuts the critics down with an album that showcases his musical talent. To compare Antony Santos to Raul?n Rodr?guez just makes no sense. They have a different style within the genre and their bachata will remain distinct.

Looking at his repertoire if I had to pick his top six albums they would be as follows (in no specific order):

1/ Si no te tengo- 2004
2/ A d?nde ir? sin ti- 2006
3/ Soledad- 1997
4/ Coraz?n coraz?n- 1999
5/ Parece mentira- 2008? parece mentira que lo nuestro haya acabado?
6/ Piel sin alma- 2005

-LDG.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
Yachtmaster- I won't spoil it for you but since you already are a fan of Raul?n R, I can guarantee you that you will love his new cd Parece mentira. Song #2, which is also the album title is really beautiful. If you understand Spanish pay close attention to the lyrics. Out of curiosity, if you don't mind what other cds did you buy? Cd universe has good prices and service.

This was my most recent order from CD Universe. They do indeed have good prices and service. Even in these days of digital downloads, I still like to have the CD's.

Ordered Items
Config Ord Ship Artist / Title Price Detail Status
CD 1 1 Tonto Corazon by Veras, Joe $10.69 Shipped 1 on Dec 30, 2008
CD 1 1 Quiereme by Ferreira, Zacarias $10.09 Shipped 1 on Dec 30, 2008
CD 1 1 La Batalla by Santos, Antony $10.95 Shipped 1 on Dec 29, 2008
CD 1 1 Corazon Bonito by Santos, Anto $10.29 Shipped 1 on Dec 29, 2008
CD 1 1 Donde Ire Sin Ti by Rodriguez, $10.69 Shipped 1 on Dec 29, 2008
CD 1 1 Parece Mentira by Rodriguez, R $10.38 Shipped 1 on Dec 29, 2008
CD 1 1 Cuando Se Quiere Se Pue by Rey $10.69 Shipped 1 on Dec 29, 2008
CD 1 1 Vivi by Sarante, Yoskar $10.69 Shipped 1 on Dec 29, 2008
Subtotal: $84.47
Shipping: $7.99
Order Total: $92.46

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Good choices...

I have an extensive collection of about 1500 cds and they are all originals. I do not download anything nor buy cds off the street especially in the DR or other countries. The sound quality is usually very inferior and as well, purchasing cds that are not originals really hurts the artist. This is part of the reason why there has been such a slow down in Latin music. Many artists and each genre without a doubt has taken a hit. There's less incentive to produce music in a world of cd burning, bootleg and 'pirater?a' (piracy). In short, I prefer good quality sound, being able to read the credits, and to enjoy the whole package that comes along with buying the original cd.

Your selection is quite interesting. A little old with the new. From your new cds I have:

Tonto coraz?n - Joe Veras- this is another big album for Joe and it came right after Carta de verano which put him in a very strategic place as a bachata artist.
Coraz?n bonito- Antony S
A d?nde ir? sin ti- Raul?n R
Parece mentira- Raul?n R- bachata supreme
Cuando se quiere se puede- Frank R- this album can easily be nominated as one of the best bachata albums of this decade.

PD. in my post #6, I meant to say song #3 is Parece mentira.

Enjoy!

LDG/ MPLTA

Last edited:

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
one thing I enjoy about Raulin's bachata is that he uses a female vocalist in so many of his songs to either sing a hook or a chorus, it adds something extra and special to so many of his songs!
Lesley, has he used the same female vocalist in all his albums? the voice definately sounds the same, I am not sure if it is still the same person?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Es su hermana...

jalencastro,

Absolutely, and you know who that female voice is? It's his sister, Casilda Rodr?guez. That's one aspect I think is special about Raul?n's music. It's a brother sister combo and her voice blends very well in the background with his. She has been the back up vocalist in all his albums.

LDG/ MPLTA