Translations please

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanitas

Jul 6, 2008
What do these words mean? They all come from Junot Diaz's wonderful book, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao:

klerin

peledista

jiringonza

restevak

tetatorio

Muchas gracias

juanitas

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
What do these words mean? They all come from Junot Diaz's wonderful book, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao:

klerin

peledista

jiringonza

restevak

tetatorio

Muchas gracias

juanitas

Please provide context, or page number. (Check spelling, please. Although Junot didn't).

Klerin: Does not look Spanish. (A noun?)

pelede?sta: person who belongs to the PLD party.

jiringonza?
jerigonza = language (jargon) of certain groups
jering?n/a = person who likes to annoy, make trouble

restavek:

A restavec (or restavek; from the French reste avec, "one who stays with") refers to a social system in Haiti in which parents unable to care for their children send them to relatives or strangers living in more urban areas where they receive food and housing (and sometimes an education) in exchange for "light" housework. In reality restavecs often live in grinding poverty, enslaved to their "hosts" and seldom receiving an education. The restavec system is considered a form of slavery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restavec

teta: mammary gland
tetatorio? (Maybe a place where there are many women, therefore many tetas. I don't know.

Norma

Last edited:

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
tetatorio means the woman had BIG boobs. Oscar's mom had huge boobs.

if you give me tha page # I can tell you what the words mean or how he is using them.

juanitas

Jul 6, 2008
Thank you for your very helpful responses. I'm very happy to provide the page numbers, as follows:

klerin - p. 151

peledista - pp. 206, 209

jiringonza - p. 235

restevak - p. 253

tetatorio - p. 93

Mil de gracias

juanitas

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Thank you for your very helpful responses. I'm very happy to provide the page numbers, as follows:

klerin - p. 151

peledista - pp. 206, 209

jiringonza - p. 235

restevak - p. 253

tetatorio - p. 93

Mil de gracias

juanitas

I'm sure 'restevak' is still something done in the DR, I know it was a practice in the DR. Large very poor families would give away one of their children to a family who is a better off.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006

klerin - p. 151 - I'm pretty sure it is some kind of liquor. probably bootleg

peledista - pp. 206, 209 a person that belongs to the PLD party
jiringonza - p. 235 - I think he means "bull s#it" because he is commenting on Beli's father's trial. restevak - p. 253 - like the previous poster said. she was living with distant family and was being used as a maid.
tetatorio - p. 93 - Huge boobs.
Mil de gracias

juanitas

hope this helps

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I'm sure 'restevak' is still something done in the DR, I know it was a practice in the DR. Large very poor families would give away one of their children to a family who is a better off.

Yes, MAR. That is still going on among Dominicans. Sometimes kids are sent to other family members, but sometimes it's just to friends, or even people the child does not know. We just don't use the French term restavec; I don't think we have a specific term for it.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

klerin - p. 151

Moonshine (rough sugarcane based licor)

peledista - pp. 206, 209

Could Mean "Pele-fan" (a star of soccer)
A Peledeista (PLD political party member)

jiringonza - p. 235

Speaking a bit gibberish, adding or missing letters in words as you speak. Mostly used in the campos to refer to baby's talk!

restevak - p. 253

That's how they call the kids that are placed with other families, usually kids from a poor background and made to become servants within the new families in Haiti. Comes from Rest- Avec(French)

tetatorio - p. 93

Large woman's bust

Mil de gracias

A thousand thanks!

juanitas

Depends on context it's being used for, but in the campos are used to describe old maids or mother like figures "Matriarcas"

If you post the actual sentence the meaning may be completely different as well!!! Is this an attempt to make us go and buy the book?!? LOL!!!:cheeky:

Mar 2, 2008
Mil de gracias
A thousand thanks!
juanitas
Depends on context it's being used for, but in the campos are used to describe old maids or mother like figures "Matriarcas"

OMG!!!

Picardo, you really are a linear thinker, aren't you? Is it possible for you to see and separate a salutation and signature from the rest of a text, particularly when the OP's name has already been given.

By the way, It speaks volumes if you haven't read the book yet.

?

? bient?t

Mil de gracias
A thousand thanks!
juanitas

Benoit: "Now way, dude!

Appalachian teenager: "Way!"

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
Mil de gracias
A thousand thanks!
juanitas

OMG!!!

Picardo, you really are a linear thinker, aren't you? Is it possible for you to see and separate a salutation and signature from the rest of a text, particularly when the OP's name has already been given.

What does it mean?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Mil de gracias
A thousand thanks!
juanitas

OMG!!!

Don't blame me, as the term Juanita is used ever since I can remember in the rural areas of Juncalito, Las Matas, Sajoma, El Rubio, etc... To denote what I just described. Just like cholita is a term of endearment to refer to old working class women in rural Mexico, so too, is Juanitas (the plural version) used to denote old matriarchs in the DR.

Sorry Juanitas! Don't mean you're an old rag!! LOL!!!

Why on earth would I want to read the book?!?

Junot is not the kind of author that makes me spend money on paperbacks...

Awards and all! Ever heard "para los gustos, se hicieron los colores"?

Pero que es lo que quieres aducir con eso del que habla volumenes de mi respuesta al OP sin haber leido el libro? Acaso tu tienes mejor lexico Dominicano que el mio? Muestralo!:tired:

And btw the last words explained were a pun for Juanita...

Mar 2, 2008
I'd give anything to listen in on a conversation between Picardo and A Bientot, just for five minutes.

It would be the experience of a lifetime.

Mar 2, 2008
I mean no disrespect to either Pichardo or A Bientot. It is just that they are both so different in the way they think. When two such people engage in conversation they often have a somewhat disjointed yet very amusing discourse.

And no I don't speak Swahili.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I mean no disrespect to either Pichardo or A Bientot. It is just that they are both so different in the way they think. When two such people engage in conversation they often have a somewhat disjointed yet very amusing discourse.

And no I don't speak Swahili.

LOL!!!!!

Just jestering in the morning Cath!
Yet you could understand the question in nothing less than the language you, yourself picked for me!!! LOL!! The odds!!!!

I see your point and still, I believed you could see the pun towards Juanitas in my post! I'm only sorry that the effect will be gone on her now! LOL!!!

Have a good morning! (said that in Swahili earlier too).:cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.