Traveling with a hard golf bag.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Hi dr1ers,

Does anyone know the lastest airline rules for traveling with a hard golf bag to the DR? Who prohibits, who alows and at what fee? And Does the bag actually have to contain clubs? I want to bring down some clubs, but was also thinking is might be a good way to transport some oversize household items.

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I understand--which means I have not tried to travel with my clubs in any way, shape, or form--that Jet Blue and Spirit do not allow golf clubs. However, it seems to be that a "hard" bag might be allowed, since it pretty much eliminates the chance of complaints and payments for broken clubs...

I think I'd ask "corporate" and see. PLEASE post replies here !!!!

HB

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Airline

It totally dpends on the airline's rules.
Smuggling things inside golf golf bags is not a new item and
customs is very aware that, if that applies to your inquiry.

peteclaffey

Apr 30, 2006
I brought a set of clubs from U.k last April , paid the ?30 FEE , could not have got another pencil in the bag , had no problems on arrival in PP

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We use a hard golf bag, all the time to bring odd sized items. For checked bags, a bag is a bag. They will check but we have never had any problems. If the airline lets you bring clubs and the bag is under the weight limit, there should be no problem. Heck we usually take 40 lbs, of coffee back in the bag.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
If you're a Canuck

If you're travelling WestJet I can help you.
That doesn't mean that I'm Canadian. It only means that I know the procedure with WestJet.
Otherwise I haven't got a clue.
Mack.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Golf bag West Jet

The procedure on West Jet, Leaving Canada that is, is that a hard case golf bag can be checked as part of your regular limit eg, 1 suitcase, 1 golf bag.
The golf bag must weigh under 100lbs otherwise it has to go freight.
In my experience at the check in counter they don't care what's in the bag or just assume it's golf clubs.
Being that the item is oversize they require you to take it to the oversize baggage scanner. Again in my experience the person operating the scanner doesn't care what's in the bag as long as it's not a banned or dangerous item.
The big advantage of packing the hard case golf bag of course is the amount and length of items that can be packed plus the increased weight limit.
Also with West Jet if you have 2 suitcases and a golf bag you will only be charged $75.00 CDN for an extra piece. Try that on Air Transat for example and you'd have to take out a morgage.
Not sure about customs at POP because so far I haven't had a problem. In fact last time my golf bag never made it onto the plane in Canada but West Jet delivered it to my door the next day. It had been opened by customs. Everthing was still there fully intact, no mention of duties or anything. There that's what I know.
Mack

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You are correct. We do this all the time. AA, Delta and Continental, don't care whats in the bag, as long as it's legal. My wife allways seem to buy odd sized things. The airport at POP has never been a problem. They don't even look most of the time.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good info, especially for me and Spirit!!....Thanks....I was going to yank Spirit's chain since they feature decals of golf bags, tennis rackets, diving paraphernalia, and other activities related stuff on their overhead storage bins, and I understood that golf clubs were a no-no...Dang good to know, Thanks!!

And Mack, good post on Westjet, too

HB