Things are Worse in the DR Today !

T

tony

I just came back from a 6 day trip in the Dominican Republic. I went from the North Country (Sosua) down South to Santo Domingo. This was not my first trip, in fact it was my 6th trip. Gotta say that I will not visit this Island for a long time. Constant harrasment on the streets (and mind u Im latino) , the crime I saw, people waiting outside the hotels along the Malecon waiting just to rob you. It is not a safe country anymore. The country is corrupted, and do not know the meaning of treating tourists as tourists. We were eating along El COnde and street kids would just walk in begging for money up to your table while management just sat there and watched. The flight staff at TWA at Santo Domingo's airport was the most UNPROFFESIONAL I have ever seen in my life. Don't spend your money or risk your life..Its not worth it. In my opinion Santo Domingo has worst crime than New York City (we even saw a dead woman along Highway Las Americas)
Stay Away and take a cruise or go elsewhere !!!!

S

Sarah

Inappropriate? Degrading?

Any inappropriate, illegal, degrading or commercial messages or replies will be removed.

T

Tom

You had a bad luch, saw a "dead body" (Was this a traffic accident waiting for attention?) experienced problems with a half-baked US airline (TWA), what did you do with your other 5 1/2 days?

T

tony

Re: Inappropriate? Degrading?

This message was not meant to be degrading - It was my personal experience and what I observed. So before anyone jumps on the bandwagon respect other peoples opinions. As I mentioned I have been to the country 5 other times and this is the worst that I have experienced ... It's my opinion. I am sure people have had wonderful times in the DR...But in my opinion things have changed.

T

tgf

Re: Inappropriate? Well.....? My 2 cents

I have to agree with this Tony's right to speak his mind. I may not like or agree with the message but it is not illegal or commercial. It may be degrading to the Dominican Republic and the promotion of tourism. In that case, it might not remain long on this board since the promotion of tourism is an important goal of this board. But Tony is telling it like he sees it without using profanity, insults, or bigoted words, so ....perhaps free speech should allow the viewing of this. My 2 cents worth

D

Duck

This change must have happened in the last three weeks. I was there in October and felt quite safe the whole time I was there and enjoyed myself quite a bit.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

L

Lic. Mercedes Abreu Devillier

Hi Tony,
I'm so terribly sorry about your experience in the D.R. You must have gotten up on the left foot.
I visit there every year and so far I have not have any unexpected experience.
Not all of the dominican children are beggers, by the way. Those you saw provably do not have parents and their situation must be very sad.
I'm sure you will find that anywhere you go in this unfortunate world.
Also, your airline was exactly the one I personally won't choose, unless I have a serious emergency.
I wish you better luck in you next trip to a LATINO country.

I'm a latino too, from the Dominican Republic, proud to be one.

Good luck.

C

charlyloco

hola Tony,
you are right "things have changed" but not only in the DR (be realistic, see the rest of the world) everywhere, and in fast growing third world countries even faster.
I KNOW the DR next year for 40y. and live here for long, but just in the last 5 month get mugged 6 times (only 3 times "successful"*lol*). But the first time of this "line" was in Habana/Cuba. Young Latins take it as a new sport and they just look for small chain& bracelet (don't try to kill/hurt you like in........!!!!).
Be shure, I am not happy about this, but I have to take a little more care, because "things have changed" and not to go almost drunken early at morning alone thru .......:).
Still to me DR is one of the most secure country in the world and believe me, I know many of them and see depends to that... I prefer DR.
cu/charly

L

L.S.

Telling of a bad experience is not inappropriate.

How can a tourist telling of their experience be inappropriate on a message board? There seems to be too many contributors on this board who want to limit the conversations to Selling the D.R.

I had a great vacation in the D.R. but like to hear of the good and bad experiences of others.

B

Bill MacDonald

I concur, "Desperate people act in desperation!" Everywhere that the rich get richer chances are the poor get poorer thus become more desperate, this is everywhere, not just the DR.

I do think Tony, that you may have had an initial bad experience influence your veiw of the remainder of your trip. The comments of seeing "people outside hotels or on the malecon waiting to rob you" was judgmental to say the least as you did not mention you were robed I assume you were not!

The last note I have is that finding begging children a problem led the tourist industry in some South and Central American countries to influence goverment responces which were in most cases horific and in some cases fatal. Were they that anoying!

O

Otto

Now I find this conversation rather interesting. As a Dominican I'm sorry to say that Tony is right, the Dominican Republic is going downhill. I currently live in New York City, I had 11 years without visiting my hometown, Santiago, DR In that time I heard wonderful stories about how beautiful DR was becoming.

Last year I finally found some time to see it for myself, and I must honestly say that I was disgusted by what I saw and by what I experience. I will agree with those who told me that DR is beatiful, THAT IS A FACT, but look beyond that. Everything over there is at U.S. prices, the people over there no longer want D.R. food, clothes, or any other product. This is sad because they're throwing away their heritage by attaching themselves to the "American Way." Not that there's anything wrong with how WE live here in the U.S., but the problem is that DR should not have let itself be influence by the U.S. 'cause the economy is bad enough as it is (in DR) and people over there cannot afford what they need if they're at U.S. prices.

It was so sad to see so many wonderful Dominican restaurants empty 'cause people wanted McDonald's, Pizza Hut, and Burger King. I had to leave my hometown and go to my parent's hometown, El Rubio. It's up north from Santiago. Being in the farm was great 'cause despite all of the changes that have occur in the city, the rural part of DR had not taken such a dramatic change. The changes were just right.

Also, I went to Jarabacoa. It was rather beautiful, however I went to a river in which I almost drown because of the strong currents. I was saved by two gentlemen from the area who then pointed out to me that a tourist dies in that river almost weekly. Mind you that there was no warning sign to point out how dangerous the currents were.

When I go to DR I feel more threaten by the police than by the civilians. The cops over there carry rifles which they don't hesitate in using. They're very corrupted, you could be driving down the street and they'll stop you to ask you for money, if you don't give them a decent amount, they'll either take away your license, arrest you, or shoot you.

Yeah, Dominican Republic is beautiful, but as Dominican I'm embarrassed by how the country's true beauty and culture has being ruin by the corruption in the government and by the backstabbing that the inhabitants over there have given to the stores, restaurants, and products that kept them alive for so many years, and are now no longer acceptable because they have surrendered themselves to products which they themselves cannot afford.

S

Shannon

I am sorry you had such a bad experience! I personally don't like you telling people not to visit! Everyone has their own experiences. What you are doing is sterotyping an island or culture, just like you would people. I am visiting the DR (NorthCoast) for the 2nd time in a few days!

I found just the opposite vibe down there. The people were very friendly, not mush hasassment on the streets and I didn't see much crime, if any.

I am sorry you have such a negative opinion of the island. I highly recommend people to visit this island. Not only for the beautiful beaches...but for the beautiful culture as well!!!!!!!

B

Bert

DR crime

On DR Crime, I?m with Bill and Br?der Charly. I have said this before and I?ll say it again. Making assessments on crime (prevention), especially organised crime, and terrorism is my job. I?ve travelled this globe both for fun and in an official capacity, living amongst the locals, in very remote places for a prolonged period, being in environments most of the natives prefer to avoid, before I can make a balanced judgement. One of the few places I will immediately give a thumbs up, is the DR.
Of course, through the years I?ve seen changes and a rise in (serious) crime. But that?s the same everywhere. That Tony feels he should have been treated different (better ??) as a tourist, OK , maybe he should have. But to advise other folks to avoid the island. Hermano, que verguenza ! Tigres waiting on you to mug you on the Malecon ? pleaz. If you advertise yourself flashing the contents of your wallet or adorning yourself with expensive jewelry, even in the middle of the dessert, some bedouin WILL jump you! be alert, take precautions, think safety. It?s not as bad as some places, where if you wear the wrong color of headwear, you?ll be shot. Otto knows what I?m talking about. He lives in that land, yet critices his own country.

Q

Quisqueyana

Re: Things are. . .

Seguramente si el gobierno continuad pasado estas leyes descabelladas el pueblo y especialmente las chusmas se aprovecharan de esta estuaci?n emprender con de crimen y saqueos.

'Una Quisqueyana'

P

Phyllis

My Opinion

I'm grateful not to have experienced what Tony did and since what he saw MAY be out there, it's only fair for his opinion to be stated. HOWEVER, I have been to the DR 7 times in the last few years alone and have enjoyed EVERYTHING about it, hence there are still several WONDERFUL reasons to vacation in this country!

T

tony

Re: Telling of a bad experience is not inappropria

You are 100% correct!!!!!!!!1

T

tony

Re: My Opinion

Let me just say that I have been traveling to the D.R. for the past 27 yrs. and not one time have I ever encountered the things that I seem to be hearing about. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen,I know that it does. However, to compare the entire island to his experience in S.D. is grossly unfair.
Just because parts of New York are a cesspool does that make all of the U.S. just as bad???
As far as kids begging,thats been going on as long as anyone can remember. Just wonder how he feels about the homeless begging in the streets of the wealthiest nation in the world.

T

tony

MY CLARIFICATION

Thanks for all those that have shared their opinions it's all about freedom of speech. First I did not say ALL Dominican people were bad, I did not say ALL Dominican children were street beggers. I offered my opinion as to how I have seen things change. Have of the responses on this board have been from vacationers that visit the GUARDED SECURED RESORTS that call the tourists. How about some experiences from the locals that live down there ???? How about opinions from people that have seen the crime in Santo Domingo. I went to the North country as I mentioned (Sosua/Salcedo/Moca) and let me mention that people were very warm..everyone waving...My opinion was more directed to the city itself, Santo Domingo. I am not out to insult an entire country or the people that live in it. But I am entitled to express what I've seen, and Im sure the people that live on the Island will attest to that as oppose to the visitors that see everything pretty behind the SECURED RESORT GATES.

O

Otto

Re: DR crime

Like I said before, I currently live in New York. I've notice that in New York, Dominicans who commit a crime often run away to D.R., in the field that you (Bill) work for, have you caught any of these guys? What's been done to bring them to justice?

I also wanted to clear a point I made before. I'm not saying "Don't go to DR" What I'm saying is that if you're a TRUE Dominican and you take a trip to DR, it will be rather difficult to appreciate the country's culture since it has been so Americanize. I'm not against the country, I'm against what the people have submitted themselves to.

S

Susanne

Re: MY CLARIFICATION

I think the subject is totally appropriate and even important for this board.

I cannot compare to previous years but went down there with my family last year in December for nearly three weeks. We didn't stay in a resort but travelled independently and by bus. We never felt unsafe and people were friendly. We did see some kids begging - mainly in the country where they wanted to "charge" us some pesos for crossing a little river. They were quite persistent but not unpleasantly so. Begging seems to come with tourists - I see plenty of posts here on this board asking what to bring to give away to poor families.

As I said: We never felt unsafe, and our two boys - at that time age 3 and 5 - seemed to open all sorts of doors and invite easy smiles from nearly everyone. But we heard plenty of reports from different parts of the country where people said things had gotten worse. It was no longer recommended that you camped alone or on a beach by night. This is not unusual - it is sound advice in most countries - but obviously it used to be different in the DR.

A friend of mine who sails in the Caribbeans every winter also adviced to avoid certain parts of SD due to bad crime and worse attitudes. He is not easily scared and is used to taking care of himself.

On the other hand I spoke to a taxi driver in Costambar who had just returned to the DR after spending nearly 20 years in the States. He found that many things were better now than when he left. And he felt safer than in the States, he said.

So you will find different opinions. Certainly there are problems in the DR - as in most other countries. Does this make the DR a place to avoid? Not in my opinion. If I had the money now I would be gone in split seconds. And I wouldn't stay in a resort (I don't like all inclusives that much). In my experience the country is a safe one to stay in as a tourist (as long as you don't go driving on your own), but you have to be sensible. Parts of the country are extremely poor and we as tourists are extremely wealthy in comparison. Don't flaunt your wealth, and don't expect to be treated better, just because you are a tourist.

Regards,
Susanne