Gov.putting people out in the cold.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
It seems the Gov. is putting familys out of the homes and tearing them down in La Loma, small village next to Caberete. They tell the people they are living on Gov. land and sent the Army in to remove them and tear down the houses. It's sad. These people don't have much to begin with, now they have nothing.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
A friend told me 16 homes at far end near the mountains. Second hand info, so i'm not sure how accurate. People upset as you can imagine.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Their also tearing down homes behind the school, the Catholic church and next to the lagune on the other side of the street. Don't know what the total will be. A good friend of ours lives in one. He doesn't know what he'll do. 2 very young children.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
people are stealing the land from the government and you feel sorry for them? would you be happy if they built their dirty shacks in your back garden?

when i was here first time it amazed me to see the poorest houses right on the cabarete beach. miesposo explained that people build there illegally. sometimes they raise their houses in the weirdest places - beach in nagua - that get flooded and destroyed.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
the News

The news has many articles of a new initiative country-wide to move people off National Park lands and other protected areas, by the Sec. of Environment. I would imagine the people at the far end of Callejon de la Loma by Cabarete have been squatting or have purchased illegally from tigres selling fake 'documents' for land (not theirs to sell) in El Choco National Forest. Parque Los Haitises is another example recently.
Perhaps someone will dig up all those related articles and post.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the same fate - no doubt - awaits those who built there houses close to main roads that are supposed to be fixed by the government.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
It seems the Gov. is putting familys out of the homes and tearing them down in La Loma, small village next to Caberete. They tell the people they are living on Gov. land and sent the Army in to remove them and tear down the houses. It's sad. These people don't have much to begin with, now they have nothing.

Squaters are being evicted world wide as it's only a matter of time as to when this happens.

Even the homeless in NY can scrape up a bus ticket to LA for the winter so the squaters in the DR should go to Haiti.........or is that where they came from?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I am not suggesting this !

I just saw this on MSN and it's an article on how the poor in America are selling their organs for cash!

Organ Trafficking Is No Myth | Newsweek Health | Newsweek.com

I just hope people do not find out about this, because if the impovrished start selling their kidneys, God only knows what will happen next!

Someone comes along and says....you only need one lung ! $$$

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The news has many articles of a new initiative country-wide to move people off National Park lands and other protected areas, by the Sec. of Environment. I would imagine the people at the far end of Callejon de la Loma by Cabarete have been squatting or have purchased illegally from tigres selling fake 'documents' for land (not theirs to sell) in El Choco National Forest. Parque Los Haitises is another example recently.
Perhaps someone will dig up all those related articles and post.

Here's the Callej?n De La Loma story
Sosua Online
The Minister of the Environment was up here on north coast last Saturday
SECRETARIO MEDIO AMBIENTE INSPECCIONA AREAS PROTEGIDAS

There was also news a week or so back of this person allegedly selling lands which weren't his to sell in that area
MOVIMIENTO TIEMPO VERDE SE QUERELLA CONTRA REGIDOR

and it looks like they'll be moving against squatters in Costambar & Cofresi soon
MEDIO AMBIENTE DESALOJARA INVASORES TERRENOS COSTAMBAR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would suspect that a good number of cases of eviction come in low lying areas - areas where there is a good chance of flooding during big rainfall events. The area here in Santiago next to the Yaque used to have hundreds of illegal houses and people and most were washed away in the flood. We still don't know how many people lost their lives. Also, if the government doesn't watch these areas closely, people will come and rebuild. For whatever reason, poor people are prone to build shacks in flood areas, most likely because of a convenient water source for washing and the fact that these area are rarely developed - and for good reason.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I just saw this on MSN and it's an article on how the poor in America are selling their organs for cash!

Organ Trafficking Is No Myth | Newsweek Health | Newsweek.com

I just hope people do not find out about this, because if the impovrished start selling their kidneys, God only knows what will happen next!

Someone comes along and says....you only need one lung ! $$$

they don't need to find out about it Mike, there are sorrily people who will tell 'em about the $$$ and how to get 'em.

the nearby water for "washing" at those areas maybe one reson for some to build their shaks illegally there, the other reason may be that at such areas/locations there's nobody else who claims his right to build there, so that's the spot.

the number of people on the Isle living in such 'illegal' areas is very high, the gubmins 'lucha' to change such is very low.

before they a$$kick those people out of their place their should be first a backup plan of where to kick them to. doesn't matter that they are as a matter of fact on 'public land'/gubmin owned land/illegally living there---hell, they need to live, within the public beach area stated by law.
heck, how many big guys businesses/good running tourism restaurants/hotels aso have constructions on that 60 meters public beach area and protect it with their private guards like their "Fort Knox"?(one of those areas is named Bavaro)

but that's live, before messing up with the big guys who pay their "reyes" aso of course they show their power first on the ones who are less defensive. with the kickback that those people need to watch out for a new spot to live, where ever that may be.

it is sure not about some illegal haitian immigrants, even that they exist on that, too, of course.
but hey, i would like to see a stat which tell's us how many dominican citizens live on space which does not belong to them by law, i assume that number will be a huge one.
and they do so since a very long time, since generations. such means it is 'local costumbre'.
and such means a gubmin which really wanna solve a present public prob like that should first get that backup plan ready before they make just more 'homeless' citizens homeless.

it is a difficult theme
Mike

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Your right one of the people who has be displaced has a small farm just at the back of the village. He has lived there for 60 years. He lived there and farmed before there was a park. He's gone to.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Many of these homes are in the way of the new by-pass that is to be constructed. I have a copy of the Master Plan showing the by-pass and most of these houses are directly in the way.

windfinder

May 28, 2007
Many of these homes are in the way of the new by-pass that is to be constructed. I have a copy of the Master Plan showing the by-pass and most of these houses are directly in the way.

Rendul , could you post this masterplan as a pdf or jpg ?