Lost Passport

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Or

Or call Consulate Office in Puerto Plata....809 571-8023.
$100 to get a new one. Speak with Alexandra there.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I ended up having paperwork faxed to me in DR. Sincemy kids' passports were stolen as well, I had to show proof that they had been in the US before. So I had to bring pictures, birth certificate copies, school records, and they also interviewed their father over the phone.

About 5 trips later and about 150 each - I finally got them.

Jan 9, 2004
If you had the foresight to make a copy...

Today, I lost my US Passport in Cabarete. What do I need to do to get home? :

and take it with you, I believe an emergency temporary travel document or temporary passport can be procured from the consulate in Santo Domingo in a very short time.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Note to others: Always, Always make a copy and keep it with you. Should this happen to you, a copy greatly expedites getting your new documents.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
PlayaCaribe - having a copy of our passports and birth certificates with me is actually what made it easier for me. I had copy of these items at my house in DR. My purse was stolen and with it all of my IDs and documents. I always kept a copy of my important documents with my mom in DR and when I showed up at the consulate with these copies and my ticket showing that I had just arrived in the country - they were able to do the application for me right away. The consul told me that without these items on hand I couldnt do the kids passports as seamless as i had. Apparently when it comes to kids (and only one parent being present) it gets alot more complicated.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Why on earth were you carrying all those passports with you in the first place Talldrink? I mean, gosh! In your purse!

If anything you should had been carrying the copies in the purse of every document but DR IDs!

I carry copies of everything on me in the DR, even my wallet is a decoy! I carry a belt clip wallet along a decoy back pocket one with a wad of laser copies of big DR bills... I changed the words in all the bills, so that in the event of being frisked and searched by any Police agent, the bills would automatically be identifying themselves as duds...

I prohibited my wife from carrying anything real on her mini-purse (big purses are thieve magnets in the DR). All copies and ONE credit card to which we keep the card number and bank phone # to report stolen in our cell phones and phone directory at home.

I replaced the house entry lock to a keyless system, which enabled us to be worry free from having an uninvited guest at home in the middle of the night.

Our cars can be disabled from a far distance via our cell phones, if carjacked we just trained to slide quickly out of "their" vehicle and allow them to drive a good distance/time before disabling "their" new toy.

At this date and age we have so much at our disposal to be a little bit better prepared. So many people still carry on like if this was the 1800's and you needed to carry the entire fortune along with you!

I see people that look like custodians, with fat key rings that seem to be for every known lock in their habitat.

For those of you who didn't know, in the DR you can have your car fitted with a cell phone like device that will render your car's ignition system useless after sending a simple command from any phone.

You can also fit your motorcycle with a gas kill hidden valve, which can save you from having to shop around for a new bike every so often.

The entry lock set for the home use fingerprint technology to provide you access to the interior of your house as well as multiple authorized users at the same time. You can even place a lock out time for your kids!

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i got my backpack stolen 13 years ago in PoP with my passport in it.
had it with me that afternoon because i planned to change travellers checks and by that time that place i used for exchanging(yeap, new gringos don't know all, i didn't neither, lol) always asked for that.
the replacement of my german passport been hassle free, had to show up at the embassy in st dgo, i showed as an picture ID my german drivers license and i got within less than 30 minutes a document valid as my temporarily passport for the day of my travel(issued for 7 days of validation, starting 1 day prior to my planned flight). together with the drivers license i provided my return ticket. not been in a hurry by that time, my flight back been 3 weeks later after that incident. it is always recommended to keep copies of all your identification documents/flight tickets aso, today it is no problem to scan them and save them on your e-mail account, so from everywhere where you find a internet connection you have access and can print them out. and of course original documents should not be stored/carried around together, not in the same wallet aso, keep them separate. you loose one means that the other original document saves a lot of may be upcoming hassles.
Mike

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Why on earth were you carrying all those passports with you in the first place Talldrink? I mean, gosh! In your purse!

If anything you should had been carrying the copies in the purse of every document but DR IDs!

I carry copies of everything on me in the DR, even my wallet is a decoy! I carry a belt clip wallet along a decoy back pocket one with a wad of laser copies of big DR bills... I changed the words in all the bills, so that in the event of being frisked and searched by any Police agent, the bills would automatically be identifying themselves as duds...

I prohibited my wife from carrying anything real on her mini-purse (big purses are thieve magnets in the DR). All copies and ONE credit card to which we keep the card number and bank phone # to report stolen in our cell phones and phone directory at home.

I replaced the house entry lock to a keyless system, which enabled us to be worry free from having an uninvited guest at home in the middle of the night.

Our cars can be disabled from a far distance via our cell phones, if carjacked we just trained to slide quickly out of "their" vehicle and allow them to drive a good distance/time before disabling "their" new toy.

At this date and age we have so much at our disposal to be a little bit better prepared. So many people still carry on like if this was the 1800's and you needed to carry the entire fortune along with you!

I see people that look like custodians, with fat key rings that seem to be for every known lock in their habitat.

For those of you who didn't know, in the DR you can have your car fitted with a cell phone like device that will render your car's ignition system useless after sending a simple command from any phone.

You can also fit your motorcycle with a gas kill hidden valve, which can save you from having to shop around for a new bike every so often.

The entry lock set for the home use fingerprint technology to provide you access to the interior of your house as well as multiple authorized users at the same time. You can even place a lock out time for your kids!

If this is how most people out here live their lives, I'm on another planet. I love the place where I live and wouldn't even think about half of the precautions that have been mentioned here let alone enforce them. You know, we have copies of the passports and I make sure my house is locked when I go out, but, that's it.

scubarod

Jan 9, 2009
i agree, first thing i did before coming here was take a picture of mine and my families passports and emailed them to my webmail account. i also sent a copy to my folks just in case. you can never be sure. this way u have a secure way of having a copy with out carrying it with u.

Rod

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007

Well thought out! A ounce of preparedness.......;)

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
If this is how most people out here live their lives, I'm on another planet. I love the place where I live and wouldn't even think about half of the precautions that have been mentioned here let alone enforce them. You know, we have copies of the passports and I make sure my house is locked when I go out, but, that's it.

My dad never carried his original DL on him during his entire life as an able driver. He never carried the home key in any form other than the belt clip wallet he used just like mine (and where the idea of mine came from).

His car back in the days, was fitted with a kill switch that used a solenoid to invert the polarity of the gas pump after a few minutes.

That was eons back in time!

If I lived in a Utopia, these provisions would be unthinkable, but I don't!

Now ask me how many times I lost my wallet(not the decoy) to pickpockets and dropped the home keys by accident someplace...

Never lost a passport, ID, cash, keys, life!

Do you know how many people got shot and killed just b/c they were understandably upset and took too long to part with their valuables when robbed?

When you get robbed, chances are they'll take everything on you, your wallet/purse with car keys. The money is not a huge deal, but they got your ID with an address to call and keys to shop around. Most people seldom if ever changed the entry locks in the DR, as this presents an expensive endeavor.

They would sell your ID to others, which make minute changes to them and use them for not so good enterprises in the country...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Can you actually legally drive with a copy of the driver's license in the DR? What about notarized copy?

Not legal to do so, but I drive in Santiago when at home and the police always cared more about the "ayudadita" than if the ID was a copy or not!

I seldom put my real ID on my belt wallet, as I only need it on a few instances.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Can you actually legally drive with a copy of the driver's license in the DR? What about notarized copy?

lol Ive been driving with my expired Florida drivers license since '97 (expired in 98) and have never had any problems. Have been pulled over at least a couple dozen times in all these years. Just tell them some stupid tale and they dont care.

Doesnt really answer your question but if an expired U.S. drivers license is no problem, a copy of a valid license is more than enough.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
NV,
you are right that in most cases you can talk yourself out of it when simply get pulled over.
but keep in mind that your car insurance company will not even start to talk with you when crashing or getting crashed, they will not pay a cent when driving without a valid DOMINICAN drivers license renewed on the day. and in case of many med insurances you should be aware that they do not get responsible for healthcare after an illegal action.

i carry always in my wallet the original of my cedula, of my dominican drivers license, gun permission and of my credit card, that's all what's needed, not different to any other country i know about, and how often in your live do you loose or get snatched your wallet?

i always keep copies of those documents at home together with the original of my residence card, so in case of loss it is not a bigger hassle to get them replaced here than it would be in any other country.
Mike