Is there Stevia in DR

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Does anyone know where I can buy Stevia in Santo Domingo?

Stevia is a plant derivative natural sweetener that is considered one of the healthiest sugar replacement foods available. Is commonly grown in South America and is 200 times sweeter than sugar.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Hello Windeguy, thanks for the info.
Nothing comes without some side effects, but stevia surely seems more healthy than sugar and the artificial sugar substitutes. In fact, the sugar lobbyists and food industry succeeded in delaying stevia-approval in the E.U. for more than 10 years so they could continue to make us fat with all their calories.
Anyway, anyone seen any stevia plantations in the D.R. or does it only grow in sub-tropical latin america (uruguay, paraguay)?
Bartolomeo

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sweet Leaves Indeed

Anyway, anyone seen any stevia plantations in the D.R. or does it only grow in sub-tropical latin america (uruguay, paraguay)?
Bartolomeo

I was interested in the plant and ordered some seeds from Paraguay.
They germinated well and we had a little patch of Stevia in our finca.
I chewed a few leaves, indeed sweet.
Too much of a hassle, however, to sweeten my tea with it... ;)

donP

Last edited:

rabbitfan

Dec 31, 2011
hazclick.weebly.com
You had, like, you don't any more?

I was interested in the plant and ordered some seeds from Paraguay.
They germinated well and we had a little patch of Stevia in our finca.
I chewed a few leaves, indeed sweet.
Too much of a hassle, however, to sweeten my tea with it... ;)

donP

Don't you have the plant any more? I'd REALLY love to have it, not just like a natural sweetener but as an additive for rabbit food to increase the daily ingest :bunny: . Also I know a couple of diabetic people that would be interested and another person that would go practically anywhere in the country to get that plant. I'm really interested: please answer soon!

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Don't you have the plant any more? I'd REALLY love to have it, not just like a natural sweetener but as an additive for rabbit food to increase the daily ingest :bunny: . Also I know a couple of diabetic people that would be interested and another person that would go practically anywhere in the country to get that plant. I'm really interested: please answer soon!

It would grow easily from stem cuttings.

El commandante

Oct 17, 2004
Awesome

6 Health Dangers of Stevia | 3FC

Some people claim it should be removed from the market.

Thanks for the info Windeguy. Fortunately all the side affects benefit me with the exception of Cancer. I have been taking it for about 4 months now and the only noticable side affect is the numbness in my feet and my hand, however it only last for about 15 min. I have managed to control my sugar level much better which allows me to enjoy a cold one, or 2,or maybe 3.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've tried Stevia a few different times, and found it leaves an odd aftertaste that is unpleasant. Back to Splenda.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I've tried Stevia a few different times, and found it leaves an odd aftertaste that is unpleasant. Back to Splenda.

Yes, that is true. The aftertaste is highly unpleasant. I had tried the one that is grown by myself and also the one from super market. My tea now tastes better without any sweetness than with Stevia.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Nice Flowers, too.

Don't you have the plant any more?

Here is one of our plants, not many left.

I guess, one should actually harvest the leaves before the flowers blossom.

You can order seeds from various companies.

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Don, with flowering herbs, like basil and probably stevia, you should pinch off the flowers when they are buds. Makes the plant bushier and leaves bigger - the flowers suck up all the nutrients.

rabbitfan

Dec 31, 2011
hazclick.weebly.com
And this is in the Dominican Republic?

Here is one of our plants, not many left.

I guess, one should actually harvest the leaves before the flowers blossom.

You can order seeds from various companies.

donP

Is this in Dominican republic?

You can order seeds but I have read that about half of them grow and anyway for a small production of rabbits :bunny: (starting with barely a male and two females) almost any quantity ordered is truly too much (too many seeds and too much money for a plant I don't officially need), specially because the use of stevia is still experimental as an additive to rabbit food: it is just to promote their eating. It is not to make them directly fat. Where is that? Is there a chance (if this is in Dominican Republic) that we can make a deal so I can have a plant or seeds? That plant is flowering, so I guess you may be expecting seeds. Are you willing to help me out?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
AI for Rabbits

Is this in Dominican republic?
Yes, it is.

Where is that? Is there a chance (if this is in Dominican Republic) that we can make a deal so I can have a plant or seeds? Are you willing to help me out?

No problem.
You can bring the rabbits* and they can nibble away all they can. :bunny: :bunny:

donP

*)
My dogs love rabbits... :cheeky:

rabbitfan

Dec 31, 2011
hazclick.weebly.com
Is that a no?

I bet they wouldn't like my rabbits :speechles, specially after they hear my dog whistle :cheeky:.

But by the unwelcoming answer I'd have to guess that's a 'No, I wouldn't share my stevia plant or their seeds with you' :eek:gre: . Know any other way I can get it here, though, without having to go through the complications of bringing the plant here anew from overseas ?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Stevia & Seeds

But by the unwelcoming answer I'd have to guess that's a 'No, I wouldn't share my stevia plant or their seeds with you' :eek:gre: . Know any other way I can get it here, though, without having to go through the complications of bringing the plant here anew from overseas ?

The answer was not negative.
You can have a plant or some seeds.
When the plants dry out they run to seed and so seem to reproduce easily.

donP

rabbitfan

Dec 31, 2011
hazclick.weebly.com
Yay!!!!

The answer was not negative.
You can have a plant or some seeds.
When the plants dry out they run to seed and so seem to reproduce easily.

donP

YAY! (^o^)/ I'd be delighted :bunny:! Would you tell me what do I have to do with a message maybe for privacy? (Things like where exactly is the place, when can I go, whom to talk to, etc?)