Suggestions for solving codetel support issue

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Guys,

Since I moved to Santo Domingo I've been having a problem with my internet. It intermittently disconnects up to 5 times per day.

We identified the problem after literally 30 calls back and forth during 1.5 months as a faulty port on their dslam (codetel's version of an ethernet port, what your DSL internet connects to on their side).

I finally got switched to another DSLAM port last week and its been great - until this morning. It seems we've been moved back to the bad DSLAM port again :-(.

I've found codetel support impossible to deal with, their techs close tickets without doing anything. I have had to file this item 4 times in their system so far, as well as make 2 "reclamations" just to get some activity in their system.

My main concern is that my internet access get moved back to the good DSLAM port and stays there. If their techs randomly move things around, it seems like it will be impossible to solve this problem long term.

Does anyone have any suggestions for doing this? At what point do I get infotep involved, and if so, how?

Adrian

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I feel your pain!

We had a problem a few months back that took a week to fix.
At least we got a RD$1,600 credit out of them, that's something.

Every time you call, they open a new ticket, it extends their support time.

My advice from our experience.

Your going to have to do it their way. You're wasting your time trying to install any common sense or real world practices into them.
Screaming or getting angry falls on death ears, go with the flow a little, it will ease your pain.

Get the name of everyone you deal with and be really nice to the tech guy that will come and visit you, despite the problem being their end of the network. Get his name and cell number and make a friend, it helps.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Get the name of everyone you deal with and be really nice to the tech guy that will come and visit you, despite the problem being their end of the network. Get his name and cell number and make a friend, it helps.

Couldn't agree more. Sometimes the friendly tech when called privately on his cellphone will actually 'moonlight' for a consideration, thus putting you ahead of the line. I know, I know - this doesn't help all those other customers, fuming & waiting, but.........might get your problem dealt with more quickly.

In a small town like Puerto Plata you can easily bump into these techs off duty. Buy them a beer, then next time you need them..............:):)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
TWO great posts. Of course, Robert, you could have suggested that Adrian go Tricom, after that glowing report.

After being without internet last night --really the first time in ages--i, too, am considering "going over to the opposition" ...After all, Mister Slim Hel? --who just bought the New York Times (maybe)-- doesn't need my money!!

HB

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Thanks for the tips guys. I already have been working closely with a tech - he was not supposed to give me his cellphone, but its due to his help that I've gotten this far. I get the impression they can be fired now if they accept money for extra assistance.

Robert - I like your testing service to have a report to show the tech when they come. I've been showing router log reports, but yours might be better if it works for codetel.

Nov 25, 2008
one important aspect of Dominican owned companies; their is no "real" customer support; I sometimes feel that they are doing you a favor just to take a call complaint.
I have heard that Tricom has better their service with their triple play promotion [internet, tel, cel]