Telecable (Tricom) Tech Support WORKS!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have to give credit, were credit is due.

We often complain about the lack of support or "first world" customer service here, and in most cases it's a valid complaint. After a while you learn to go with the flow, as beating your head against the wall starts to get painful.

Now for some good news!

I recently moved apartments and decided I no longer needed a land line, as most of my telephone usage is via cell phone. Good bye Codetel!

Telecable (Tricom) for the past few months have been pushing their new Triple and Double Play packages, so I decided to sign up.
I have heard mixed reviews about their service, but decided to take the risk as they have a 60 day guarantee.

The process was easy, it took me 10 mins at their main office to get all the paperwork completed. Within 4 days, they had hooked up my cable TV and cable internet connection, I was happy! I had HBO, BBC, bunch of channels and could get onto DR1 and delete posts and ban people, heaven!!! :)

Houston, we have a problem!

After a couple of days, I noticed that every now and then my connection would drop or slow down, this progressively became worse. I was starting to feel like Telecable was not going to make it past the 60 day mark.

The problem was their side and needed a little ammunition for my upcoming tech support call.

I decided to monitor my IP to see how often it went down and the ping times. DSL Reports has a great service that allows you to do this if you know your IP address.

Line Monitoring - dslreports.com

As you can see from the graph below, my ping times on Sunday (thick block) had really started to climb.

telecable_ping.gif

I made the call to tech support and explained I had a problem and it wasn't in my apartment, it was in their network.

"No problem sir, we will have someone that your place tomorrow morning".

Ok, whatever, I have heard that a million times before, but hey, let's give you the benefit of the doubt, as it's my first time submitting a support ticket.

9am Monday morning I received a call from the tech guy, I'm close to your house, what's your apartment number, I'll be their in 10 mins. Wow!

The guy turned up, with some fancy piece of expensive kit.

I showed him the graph from DSL Reports. He was impressed, then went and plugged his fancy box into my cable connection and made a few phone calls. 2 mins later, declared the problem resolved.

Guess what, it's resolved. You can see from the graph below, that my ping times dropped rapidly after the visit. I still get the odd slow ping, but to date the connection for general usage has been fine.

telecable_ping.gif

Let's see if I make it to the 60 day mark :)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Sorry Robert, guess my contacts need replacing.

Just what is the difference between the two (2) charts, they look the same to me? :confused:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Will that service work for testing a codetel DSL line? My feeling is they block a lot so it won't work - any ideas robert?

Thanks for the interesting report.

Feb 7, 2007
Will that service work for testing a codetel DSL line? My feeling is they block a lot so it won't work - any ideas robert?

Thanks for the interesting report.

Yep here Codetel blocks my pings.... but it's mine only... other people I checked could PING... codetel support is confused at well...tried changing modems, computers, etc...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Keep in mind that both Codetel and Tricom throttle some kinds of traffic (such as P2P), ir order to save bandwidth, Codetel case is more extreme given that they throttle everything from house users to business users. I've been having thoughts of changing to Tricom because by first hand I know they are doing extreme efforts to give an excellent customer service, Can't say the same with Codetel after being 7 days without Internet Service due to an "averia".

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Codetel now has its support set up so that a tech can take any action on a ticket - without testing the result and whether it works or not - and then close the case as solved! And when you call back in later they will say "but you already told the tech that the problem was solved, that is why they closed the ticket and now you can't make a reclamation!"

After I went through this several times, on the last time I told them I absolutely did not want the ticket closed and it was not solved and unequivocably the ticket must be left open. Naturally when I called back in about that ticket, I was told this morning the same thing "you told the tech that the problem was solved!"

The techs will lie about all kinds of things too - we are also having problems getting caller ID working, and were told that a tech had already come out to our house and that is why that ticket had been closed. Naturally no tech had actually shown up.

It seems like things are getting quite broken internally at codetel, Rob's suggestion of Tricom sounds counter intuitive, but might just be the right now.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
ExtremeR, no kidding about the throttling. Especially Gmail, Facebook, YouTube etc.

I have tried changing the DNS servers in our Cisco DSL modems, spoke to them etc.
No dice, they act stupid and in some cases, are stupid.

Most clients are completely ignorant, this is why Codetel can offer terrible service and still come out smelling like roses.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Codetel now has its support set up so that a tech can take any action on a ticket - without testing the result and whether it works or not - and then close the case as solved! And when you call back in later they will say "but you already told the tech that the problem was solved, that is why they closed the ticket and now you can't make a reclamation!"

After I went through this several times, on the last time I told them I absolutely did not want the ticket closed and it was not solved and unequivocably the ticket must be left open. Naturally when I called back in about that ticket, I was told this morning the same thing "you told the tech that the problem was solved!"

The techs will lie about all kinds of things too - we are also having problems getting caller ID working, and were told that a tech had already come out to our house and that is why that ticket had been closed. Naturally no tech had actually shown up.

It seems like things are getting quite broken internally at codetel, Rob's suggestion of Tricom sounds counter intuitive, but might just be the right now.

Luckily for us, we have had DSL service from Codetel since 1998, with very few problems.

But...

When it breaks, you just have to go with the BS flow to get it fixed and take out your frustration on a punch bag.

Many of the call centers use Tricom for voice lines and WindTelcom for their dedicated VOIP lines. Not sure if Wind offer residential service.

Tricom's voice plans are much cheaper than Codetel, especially for business.
The downside, some buildings are hard wired with Codetel and it's a pain for Tricom to install lines. We have this problem here at DR1, otherwise I would dump Codetel in a heart beat.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Hey guys, encrypting your traffic will defeat Codetels throttling. If you don't know how to do this try a service I recently found called gotrusted.com, it will install a virtual connection or ethernet port and encrypt all your traffic from point of origin to their servers in the US. They have a 7 day free trial so you can check it out before you pay anything. After that it costs 6 bucks a month or something like that.

It will also make it appear to the sites you visit that you are in the USA, handy for alot of things, many sites reserve premium content for US surfers and others ban DR traffic altogether.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Robert, which alternative options do you suggest for santo domingo
- tricom
- wind
- aster?

Any others? I can't do wireless broadband unfortunately; we don't get good reception here. I'm ready to move away from codetel after all this mess. I'm paying RD$10k+ per month for my internet, I deserve decent service.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Maybe this is a solution:

Amazon.com: Duolinks SW24 2PORT Dual Wan Load Balancing Router: Electronics

Its called a "twin wan router" and it enables you to load balance and automatically switch between 2 internet connections. This way we can get 2 consumer grade internet connections (eg tricom and wind) and if one goes down, the other will carry the load. I'm unclear if this will efficiently use both internet connections to get increased bandwidth. If it does that it would be perfect.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert, which alternative options do you suggest for santo domingo
- tricom
- wind
- aster?

Any others? I can't do wireless broadband unfortunately; we don't get good reception here. I'm ready to move away from codetel after all this mess. I'm paying RD$10k+ per month for my internet, I deserve decent service.

Aster: Used them around 12 months ago, bad experience, lots of downtime.

Wind: Never used them. They use WiMax for residential accounts, so that might be an issue.

Tricom: So far, so good. As far as I'm aware, the fastest speed they offer for DSL is 1.4MB. (1.4Mbps/128Kbps RD$2,850)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Maybe this is a solution:

Amazon.com: Duolinks SW24 2PORT Dual Wan Load Balancing Router: Electronics

Its called a "twin wan router" and it enables you to load balance and automatically switch between 2 internet connections. This way we can get 2 consumer grade internet connections (eg tricom and wind) and if one goes down, the other will carry the load. I'm unclear if this will efficiently use both internet connections to get increased bandwidth. If it does that it would be perfect.

The small call centers use balancing routers. They appear to work just fine.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
For anyone else who is reading this, per talking privately with mrmike, balancing routers work for multiple computers across multiple lines, but not well with a single user on multiple lines. what this means is that if you're on a VOIP call, you will be disconnected if a line goes down (but then your next call will work), and generally internet access will be on a session only basis per line. its perfect for call centers, not terribly useful for individuals.

i'm also making some progress with codetel today and have hopes that i'll be switched to a new dslam port later today which will eliminate the issue. we'll see.