Ameba

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Ok, I am slowly recovering from ameba...to say it was a little bit shxxxy would be an understatement...lol.
So, mi esposa makes me some potion, some sort of tea with celery. My neighbor makes me another with noni and cinnamon. My friend makes me another with carrot and garlic juice. Mi esposas's sister makes me a shot of coffee with lime juice and salt. My work colleague tells me to make a tea with celery, pumpkin and garlic....really, it is enough to keep you on the toilet!!
So, what I want to know is how many other interesting remedies are there for the dreaded ameba? I think we could get a recipe book going..lol....hey, why don't we start a sticky thread for all known Dominican remedies...no matter what the illness is?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not a specifically Dominican remedy, but batido de lechoza including the seeds is said to be good for amoebic dysentery.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes, you definitely need the seeds included - you could even chew a few seeds neat. Some people do this as a preventative measure from time to time. Caution: they're somewhat bitter.

Always worth a stool analysis to check it is amoebic dysentery and not something like giardia.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Tea,
Do you have any ideas how you got the ameba?
My godson had this recently. Hard to see a 1 year old suffer through it.
And was not too impressed with the medical treatment he recieved at Brugal Clinic. Yikes!
Yes we should start a sticky on DR remedies for various illnesses.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Thandie...I have no clue how I got it but I have been told that it can take weeks for it to materialize, so it is hard to narrow it down. Knowing the pain I was in I could not even begin to imagine what it was like for your godson...I hope that he is doing much better now.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
What is it?

I have had Ameba before, but can't wrap my brain around what it is exactly. The symptoms I felt were much like the symptoms I had when I was living in Nigeria and got Malaria. I know it is not contracted by insects, but I don't know how it is contracted; food, water, dirty door knobs? Is it a virus, bacteria etc.? Is there an English translation to an equivalent ailment in the US or UK? When I was sick with it, I took antibiotics, but I am not sure this was the correct remedy for the illness.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Thanks Bob. I read it twice.

The bit at the end was a little unsettling:

"Worldwide, amebiasis is the third most common cause of death from parasitic infections."

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Tee,

He was in the clinic for 5 days and had to have an IV because he lost alot of fluids. It was hard to watch him suffer so much. He feels better but at the last check up the doctor said he still has some eggs in his intestines. Hopefully the medicine kills them off.