Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Moving to DR but Scared!!???

I'm contemplating moving to DR in the next few months. My husband of 8 years may be deported for a criminal charge. I know this may evoke a plethora of negative feedback and personal judgements on his part. However, all personal opinions aside I would like to know if it is possible to find work enough to live and support my two children who are now school age. I'm also concerned about medical coverage and how (if at all possible ) I would be able to provide them with the necessities. I have also considered the private education in DR none of which I would be able to afford with American dollars I make now aprox.$40,000 yrUSD)

I know it is painfully obvious that learning Spanish fluently will make life all that much easier. I have visited DR (Moca) only once for a month with my husband. But I've been an American all my life and wouldnt have the first clue on how to live otherwise.

Any infomational advice is appriciated...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ma822431 View Post
    But I've been an American all my life and wouldnt have the first clue on how to live otherwise.
    Welcome to DR1 . Faced with your circumstances I think I'd be scared too - 2 children, not a lot of money, little Spanish (the latter is overcomeable, the other 2 remain as is).

Here's my suggestion: firstly wait to see if he gets deported. If he doesn't then presumably you remain where you are? If he does, let him make the move, set up home, find work for both of you (not too easy for you), find out how supportive his DR family will be. You and the children remain in the US meanwhile (I'm assuming you're in the US, but if somewhere else, insert that country). Once he has got it all set up, you visit (leave the children with a relative) and make your assessment as to whether it will work for you or not. If you think yes, then you can visit again with the children to see what they think.

He got you into this position, he will need to work hard to rectify the challenges it presents for you and the children. And they are many, so that is why I understand the 'scared' part.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    Welcome to DR1 . Faced with your circumstances I think I'd be scared too - 2 children, not a lot of money, little Spanish (the latter is overcomeable, the other 2 remain as is).

Here's my suggestion: firstly wait to see if he gets deported. If he doesn't then presumably you remain where you are? If he does, let him make the move, set up home, find work for both of you (not too easy for you), find out how supportive his DR family will be. You and the children remain in the US meanwhile (I'm assuming you're in the US, but if somewhere else, insert that country). Once he has got it all set up, you visit (leave the children with a relative) and make your assessment as to whether it will work for you or not. If you think yes, then you can visit again with the children to see what they think.

He got you into this position, he will need to work hard to rectify the challenges it presents for you and the children. And they are many, so that is why I understand the 'scared' part.

Good luck whatever you decide.
    As is usually the case, Lambada's advice is excellent, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Best of luck to you and your family,

DRob

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the warm welcome to DR1 as well as for the good advice. Many thoughts have been roaming around in my head as far as options but what you have suggested is the best. I cant see leaving my job right away and stepping into the unknown immediately. All things considered this is the most logical advice I've had so far. Unless I somehow become independantly wealthy overnight it's the only advice I should take at this point.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

...and don't send what little money you make to him down in The DR...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

best reply of the day suz...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You are "scared" and you have a "sacred" resposnibility, which of course is to your children. To put them in a situation that may be unstable is not really living up to that responsibility - at least that's how I feel. Good luck.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You should consult a good immigration lawyer ASAP. Lots can be done to prevent, or delay, deportation. Because I suppose he is legally married to you, for 8 years, and you have 2 children out of marriage, both US citizens, it might be considered as "extreme hardship" for you and the children if he is deported. There are provisions of law for this. it would be up to an immigration judge to decide. You would need witnesses as to "good character" of your husband, such as priests, community leaders, etc. Depending on the offense, especially first offense, a good immigration lawyer may be able to avoid deportation.

There is also a way to apply for immigration parole from DOJ for all persons subject to deportation after serving time. Again, consult the immigration lawyer.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ma822431 View Post
    Thank you for the warm welcome to DR1 as well as for the good advice. Many thoughts have been roaming around in my head as far as options but what you have suggested is the best. I cant see leaving my job right away and stepping into the unknown immediately. All things considered this is the most logical advice I've had so far. Unless I somehow become independantly wealthy overnight it's the only advice I should take at this point.
    Good. A sensible person & mother. No need for you to tell us what the criminal charge is but know this: if it is remotely connected to drug distribution it would be only too easy for him to slip into a network down here. Certainly pays a lot better than an office or technical job in the DR! The temptations would be high if he was this way inclined. Just something to be aware of which you might not know about.

Once again, wish you well. Read through the forums here - lots of info for new residents. Mostly it is geared to foreigners moving here but there are some posts about moving as part of a Dominican family.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice so far. Remember that getting a decent paying job down here is quite difficult if not borderline impossible - even more so in Moca. If you did move down here it would have to be a major city such as Santo Domingo or Santiago or one of the tourist areas - and this assumes you Spanish will be good enough to understand. Therefore, start studying just in case. A good salary for a college educated person down here other than a doctor would be US1000 a month. Research this forum for more info.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast