what food stuff can i bring?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I am traveling on a shoe string budget this time around. I know fresh produce is out. But what about jarred sauces and pastas and seasonings in the like. I'll have a stove top so i can to some of my own cooking to save on $$.

If some of you can suggest some good things to bring and definitely not what to bring that would be great.

My buddy down there does a lot of cooking for me...i'd like to throw together a couple of non dominican dinners for him.

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
I am traveling on a shoe string budget this time around. I know fresh produce is out. But what about jarred sauces and pastas and seasonings in the like. I'll have a stove top so i can to some of my own cooking to save on $$.

If some of you can suggest some good things to bring and definitely not what to bring that would be great.

My buddy down there does a lot of cooking for me...i'd like to throw together a couple of non dominican dinners for him.

Hiya there Jrzyguy

I say bring some peanut butter and I will be over for peanut butter toast lmao Looking forward to some of them home made dominican meals your amigo is gonna cook this year :) Let me know if you want us to bring anything and we can have una gran comida!! See ya there next month amigo!!

besos
Lizzard

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
cant wait amiga! He ususaly makes pulpo my first night (no lambi THIS year lol). THen he'll make some fish and then just pasta. I am assuming that jarred and canned food will go thru customs. But what about spices? Like dried herbs and perhaps a tube of anchovie paste? I know fresh fruit and veggies are out (thats fine...they are better in the DR). I am just trying to think of some things i can bring to stretch my pesos. I really cant afford this trip...but my ticket is paid for and my room is reserved. SO I AM GOING!!!

I guess my main thing is dried herbs. Are they considered an agricultural product?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You can get most if not all those things here - I suggest you make one major shopping trip to Jumbo in the Zona Oriental at the beginning of your stay to stock up, instead of shopping at the smaller local supermarkets and colmados.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
You can get most if not all those things here - I suggest you make one major shopping trip to Jumbo in the Zona Oriental at the beginning of your stay to stock up, instead of shopping at the smaller local supermarkets and colmados.

Yeah...i noticed that the markets in B.C. are QUITE pricey. But isnt there a new-ish mega market on the highway now?

Are spices ok thru customs? I cook a lot of asian and indian food. I doubt i can find garam masala in the dr ;-) I just am wondering what is considered an agricultural product and what is not. Eh...my friend doesnt like spicy food anyhoo!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You can get garam masala in a couple of places in the capital - L'epicier de l'orient and Asiatico - but it's probably not worth the trip just for that.

I've brought Indian spices over from Europe and the English-speaking Caribbean, but I think the US authorities are stricter about food products in luggage so maybe you would have a problem.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You will have no problem with spices as long as they are in a sealed container. Any kind of seafood spices you like. If your from east coast US, Old Bay or comething equal. Indian Curry. Dom. is milder. Most Dom. don't care for spicey food, so bring what you really like. You probably won't be able to find it here.