Dominicans working abroad

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
A dominican family friend was recently scammed for a ton of money by someone who promised work in Japan. Now they have to pay back very soon the money they borrowed from the money lenders.

The family seems to think that this person could get work in the Turk and Caicos. THey need a visa , and I am trying to tell them that this is very difficult.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with Dominicans obtaining work permits etc in the Turks and Caicos?

Personally I think it's very difficult and for the lucky ones would take months, but I really don't know.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Typical. Borrow to go to the promised land, get taken and now???

Let them go find the person that stole from them and take the money out of his hide!!! Inch by inch..

Sorry, legal visas to T&C are difficult...have to go to British Embassy, I do believe...

And you know that with the money they borrowed, they could have made it work here..

HB

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
so sorry for your friend and his family, he could be in a world of hurt. what amazes me is that in the DR where there is a scam at the super, no small bills or coin, scam at the gas station, scam to park the car on a public street, taxi scam, electric scam, etc. that dominicans get taken as much or more than tourists, by other dominicans. i know desperate people will take desperate measures but you would think that after a while street smarts would prevail........

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I guess there are suckers born every minute , here too. The promise of foreign
riches is very seductive. Thanks.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Typical. Borrow to go to the promised land, get taken and now???

Let them go find the person that stole from them and take the money out of his hide!!! Inch by inch..

Sorry, legal visas to T&C are difficult...have to go to British Embassy, I do believe...

And you know that with the money they borrowed, they could have made it work here..

HB
Thanks . They find it difficult to believe that it's hard to get visas, because they all know somebody who got one . Apparently a girl in their town got one. What does she do I asked. Waitress. Ok , well she is living with the bar owner .I wonder what she served up in T and C. .

bubba153

Jan 24, 2009
hi,
i currently live in the turks islands. provo to be exact. the ecomony is very bad and i wouldnt suggest that you consider coming. the domenicans that are on the island and have been for many years are leaving as so are the haitians.the ones that come over will go under a tourist visa and just never leave until caught by immigration and deported. it is difficult to get a legal work permit and the price starts at 1000usd for the permit including return ticket and other fees. the girl i know can barely survive and pay their living expenses so forget about sending money home. the ones that work in resaurants/nightclubs usually arnt paid a salary and work off of tips if any. most end up selling sex to survive. some businesses will hire an unducumented worker and when it comes time to pay they will call immigration and have them deported so they dont have to pay. any questions please ask and i will be happy to answer. i have a close friend in SD that i met in provo 5 years ago and i told her not to come back as it will be more of a struggle there than in the DR.] wayne