Lloyds Visa debit

kurdela

Jan 23, 2009
I've read that you have to have a card with Cirrus or Maestro logo, otherwise it will not be accepted by the ATMs in DR. Is that true? I can't believe it.
It's just that I'm reading all these posts, read about scams and so on and don't know anymore what to do with the financial matter anymore. Normally I would just open the bank account in DR but the more I read the more doubts I have about the safety of dominican banks, ATMs and all the system.

Please, help.

Feb 7, 2007
If it is Visa, Visa Electron, Mastercard, Cirrus, Maestro, Link, or Plus, you will be able to withdraw the money at an ATM here.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I have used Visa and Mastercard for withdrawals with no problems but I check my accounts regularly online so if I see a problem I can report it straightaway not wait until I return to my own country.

One tip when using ATMs is to use those in or outside a bank so if the machine eats your card you can report it immediately. It has never happened to me in forty years living in England but has happened twice within six trips to the DR.

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
London777 gives good advice about the location as to where to withdraw your money from.
With regards to Lloyds Debit cards – I have used mine in all atms in the DR with no problems.
I always call my bank and let them know the dates I will be using my card in the DR.
So far – so good!